Websites not working - WEIRD PROBLEM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I FIXED IT!!!

Double posting because... You will not believe how stupid this solution was.

I thought someone else must have a problem with error code 6, so I was trawling Google, and found some post somewhere saying it's a timer issue, and rebooting the system should fix it. And I was thinking about this, and the UK government websites also kept complaining of time outs. And then I thought, could this be connected to my computer's internal timer - that is, the clock?

Now, you see, there is no clock or watch in my house which is actually set at the actual real REAL time of our reality. I keep everything a little bit fast, to varying degrees, to augment my behaviour in a Pavlovian style. People say to me don't I realise this and ignore the fake time, and the answer is no, because all the clocks are ever so slightly out of synch, so eventually even I can't work it out, and it's mainly psychological. I tell time not with the numbers but the shape of the arms. Simpsons is on at 6, for example, but in my mind this is "long stick" time. Lunch I usually have at 12, or half stick time. Waking up in the morning is tall man kicking his leg out at a shallow angle. It's all about the shapes, man, and how I instantly react based on the shape I recognise. This is how I taught myself to tell the time when I was like 3 or 4. When I was a little kid, cartoons always came on at Pac-Man time, because that's the shape the arms made. So my PC clock runs about 7 minutes into the future, my alarm clock 10 minutes (so I can sleep a bit longer), and the clock in my lounge 5 minutes so I never miss a TV show. The watch on my wrist varies, but it's between 5 to 10 minutes. Or something.

So I decide to synchronise the time with a server, and BAM! Every site works again. My bank, GOG, everything. I can't believe it.

But I want to verify this is the cause, so I go back and change it to the wrong time, reset Firefox, and the same problems again. You can verify this yourself. Change the time on your PC, and if you have a GOG account reset Firefox and try favouriting a game. It doesn't work. Same with Barclays.

Who the **** came up with such a bull**** idea like not having websites function unless it's the actual real time? Don't these programmers realise some us don't actually like living with the actual real time? Some us like to be out of phase with reality?

Anyway, how crazy is that? IT WAS THE TIME!

To think I spent today uninstalling and reinstalling ESET, installing new browsers, VPN software. FML.

Thank you everyone who tried to help!
    Last edited by Sketcz; 05-11-2018, 16:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
      Who the **** came up with such a bull**** idea like not having websites function unless it's the actual real time? Don't these programmers realise some us don't actually like living with the actual real time? Some us like to be out of phase with reality?
      It's due to HTTPS works, browser and website have to check the certificate and cookies are valid, so they check the time.
      I have the same problem with the virtual machine residing on my NAS I use to upload YouTube videos, if I didn't start it in some time the timestamps don't match and I can't connect to YouTube.
      Honestly never thought it was that issue on a main computer.

[edit] Now that I think about it, it's strange FF or Chrome haven't outright displayed an error page mentioning the out-of-sync clock, when I experience that issue on the virtual machine I always get a very specific server error that while doesn't outright say "your clock is wrong", it gives more than one hint, something like TIME_MISMATCH or similar.
      Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 05-11-2018, 18:08.

Comment

So you knew the answer all along Babyliss_Kachinsky, but were holding out on me.

Comment

My idea would have solved it too
          Win10 is super fast now and yes, major release updates take ages, in the same way updating your phone can take 20 minutes, but you can let it do it overnight and it will auto login afterwards if you need the PC to remain on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            My idea would have solved it too
            Nah, I would have set the clock forwards as soon as the system had been reformatted. We'd still be stuck here trying to solve the problem.

Comment

Win10 aka TrackYouAdvertOS. Windows needs to be allowed to die.

Comment

Glad [MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION] got his problem fixed. I give this thread crazy/10 for the whole stick/half-stick/pacman-o-clock stuff about telling the time!

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                  Glad [MENTION=2415]I give this thread crazy/10 for the whole stick/half-stick/pacman-o-clock stuff about telling the time!
                  When you're 4 years old and all the adults live their lives by a circle on the wall, it makes sense to teach yourself to understand it based on its shapes (as opposed to numbers which you've perhaps not yet been introduced to). It was clear to me at that time that everything occurred when specific shapes were in place. The habit stuck with me, and I naturally interpret time base on hand shape rather than numbers.

I dislike digital watches as a result.

Comment

Has anybody access to the US Gamestop website? I get «access denied» wherever I try, so I’m starting to think they have geo-blocked it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                      Has anybody access to the US Gamestop website? I get «access denied» wherever I try, so I’m starting to think they have geo-blocked it.
                      Is your website down right now, or is it just you? Check your website uptime and availability around the world.

Currently giving a 403 response for London.

Last edited by MartyG; 13-12-2018, 08:39.

Comment

First time I’ve seen a US website completely blocked, and not just certain content.

Thanks for checking!
                        Last edited by MoFo2; 13-12-2018, 19:27.

Comment

Unfortunately a 403 doesn't really tell you anything unless it's specific in the headers and it's not:

GET /
                          cache-control: no-cache
                          Postman-Token: 56db44a6-7a11-41c2-a3ed-af5f1faae5d6
                          User-Agent: PostmanRuntime/7.4.0
                          Accept: */*
                          Host: www.gamestop.com
                          cookie: user_country=GB; user_query_string=
                          accept-encoding: gzip, deflate
                          HTTP/1.1 403
                          Server: AkamaiGHost
                          Mime-Version: 1.0
                          Content-Type: text/html
                          Content-Length: 266
                          Expires: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:39:09 GMT
                          Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:39:09 GMT
                          Connection: close

They've done it in an ugly way if they're purposely GeoBlocking without a nice landing page explaining way you can't access the site. If it was coming back with a 403.6 then we'd know for sure they're blocking based on IP address, but it seems odd that the site is working from Asia. Perhaps they're blocking the EU due to GDPR issues.

Edit: I can access the site if I VPN to a US server and browse to it, I can't if I VPN to a Netherlands or a Singapore server.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 13-12-2018, 16:52.

Comment

Is the problem being caused by Brexit?

Comment

I'm in Norway so it's blocked here. Was going to order Katamari Damacy Reroll and have it shipped to a friend, but no dice.

Comment

They did the same thing with the Irish website not long ago.

It’s probably because they don’t want to bother to comply with GDPR, so it’s easier to block Europe. I think a couples of other sites have done it too

Comment

Working...
                                X