Breaking Bad: El Camino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
    I've never seen a single episode of Breaking Bad but the film trailer looks interesting. If I were to jump in and just watch the film would I be missing any significant backstory or plot points or anything?
    That would be the wrong thing to do for loads of reasons. Watch it all in the right order. It's brilliant.

Comment

Getting ready to don my Pollos Hermanos apron tonight ... can't wait to spend another couple of hours in the world of Breaking Bad.

Comment

Loved this. It felt like a real gift to the fans ... full of great moments and a perfect way to wrap up loose ends. Can't really say any more as it would be spoiltastic.

Comment

Fan service and nothing more really but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I didn’t feel like any loose ends needed tidying until I was presented with them here though.

Comment

I watched it and enjoyed it. It felt like an extended episode. Nothing different about it at all with it being called a movie. I am struggling to think of the loose ends you are talking about. The flashbacks were nice but didn't correct anything as far as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              I am struggling to think of the loose ends you are talking about.
              The loose ends to Jesse's story. Like what the whole thing is.

I acknowledge the tv show was complete at the end of season 5 but I like this closure on the 'what happened to Jesse' factor.

Comment

Oh right haha. I was thinking more along the lines of fixing plotholes. Wonder if he becomes a lumberjack like Dexter.

Comment

Aw man, Robert Forster died yesterday

Comment

Caught this at the weekend, definitely worth a watch if you're a Breaking Bad fan. Concentrates quite a lot on flashbacks, but there are some good cameos in there and overall I thought the story played out well managing not to destroy Jesse's character or the series canon.

Comment

I just watched it. I liked it. It wasn't a 'movie', more a double-length ep that caps everything off fairly neatly, in a manner.

It made me sad, tbh. Sad because all you're doing throughout is missing the buddiness of Walt n' Jesse from the old BB days but it's the aftermath, now, and you're getting a scarred, PTSD Jesse with no Walt and not much humour with a vibe very much tainted by the grimness of the final season. Luckily, it still has some *very* tight moments and still feels very BB. Still goooooood.

And for what is was, I liked the ending, the peace and irony of it. Great send-off for Robert Forster, too, what a touch of class he adds.

It's a very strange one because it just seems like another ep of BB to me but it basically made me miss Breaking Bad and feel actually sad.

The only thing that made it different was they used the F-bomb a coupla times.

Apartment bit was *tight*, bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                        Oh right haha. I was thinking more along the lines of fixing plotholes. Wonder if he becomes a lumberjack like Dexter.
                        Aaaaaagh! I watched five whole seasons, enjoyed them but never went back because it just wasn't moving along.

Lumberjack, wtf???!!!!

Hmmmm.

Comment

I watched this last night and almost wished I hadn’t. It’s not bad by any means and does what it does well. It’s more that it became really clear quite early on into it that, actually, I had closure on the show and I wasn’t invested in this in the slightest. The show was amazing but the secondary character featured in this who had held Jesse captive was in the bunch of my least favourite characters in the series (even though the actor is great) and reminded me that, last few eps aside, I felt the show had gone down rather than up in the final season mostly due to exactly those people - instead of the empire climbing we had to that point, the final season was facing off against a bunch of smalltime hicks and seemed almost beneath Walter at that point. And yet I had such a sense of finality when the show ended that this follow up had nothing to say. At least, to me.

So I never really got into it at any point in the story and, when it ended, I didn’t feel it had added a thing to the Breaking Bad story. Stark contrast to Better Call Saul for me, which managed to tie into Breaking Bad while still always delivering something different.

Comment

It's definitely not in the same league as Saul. But the BB fan in me just loved a couple more hours in the world of the show. A good week after watching I feel maybe it added little but it also took absolutely nothing away. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for those characters from the final season, I thought they showed that, however despicable Walt had got, there were still worse/less honourable people around with absolutely no humanity at all (little league or not).

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              As for those characters from the final season, I thought they showed that, however despicable Walt had got, there were still worse/less honourable people around with absolutely no humanity at all (little league or not).
                              Hmmm... I wouldn’t be convinced that was the point of them. The whole theme of the final season was that Walter was entirely irredeemable. His actions could not be defended or excused. And I feel that was part of the reason we ended with that group of people - not to show that Walt was better than them but to show the level he had sunk to. I think it was very deliberate in the sense that many of us wanted to see Walt go full-on Heisenberg in some sort of power fantasy but the final season stripped that away, resisting feeding that and instead showed us that Walt was despicable and living in the dirt with this quality of people. But I think I wanted that power fantasy! So I felt the writing in the final season was very mean-spirited. But I really don’t think we were meant to come away feeling Walter was better than anyone.

Comment

I just think, in the end, it exemplified that old concept, "the law of diminishing returns". Jesse just got very lucky with the odds.

It was....kinda grim n' realistic. Like the last season was. But this gave a big ray of light to the last season. I hated that ginger guy as well. In a way he was *perfect*.

But I agree, maybe he was too weird, I think he kinda contaminated the last series, in a sense, like some dark bacterium.

But an EXCELLENT performance. But he always feels like Philip Seymour Hoffman playing a greasy paed0. Absolutely unlikeable. Unlike pretty much all characters in BB.

We all loved Tuco. We all loved Gus. We all loved Ted Beneke. Ginger bloke was just a blast of dark weird nobody wants in their life.

I think El Camino did a decent job. In my view it was too dark throughout (visually, primarily) but they had to straddle a fine line between absolute grimness and fan-pleasing funnies but they did alright.

But now I want MORE!!!!!

RED METH!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X