No announcement yet.

Super Mario Kart: Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound like a bunch of twonks of course its excellent any mention that the music being bad is hilarious, they obviously like snow patrol.
    Last edited by Baseley09; 08-11-2018, 19:56.

Comment

What a ridiculous thread, one of the most heavily acclaimed and influential games of all time - "Good or bad"?

Comment

clickbait lol

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          clickbait lol
          I clicked here without cleavage thumbnails!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            To be honest I wouldn't agree with any of those criticisms about the game, I think someone would have to really be coming at it from a fresh eyes modern gamer who dislikes retro games mindset to come to that view.
            Well, that's the thing -- the guys at HG101 are retro gamers, so they play and write about all sorts of retro games. They're not a group of young people focused on modern gaming.

It's partly the reason I was so surprised by their extremely negative and stupid opinions of Super Mario Kart.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            What several of the entries slip into the is the F-Zero GX snaking type trap, where best times come down more to the ability to spam one mechanic rather than actual racing which is where I drop off. SMK didn't really have that which is probably why its fanbase gravitate to it amongst other reasons
            SMK certainly does everything differently to later games in the series, so seeing it's still a much loved game, lots of people still get what is so special about it. Instead of being the broken mess HG101 paint it to be -- it's actually a really well crafted, fun game.

Originally posted by endo View Post
            It is exactly what karting is all about. Who can forget Lewis Hamilton coming up through the karting ranks, throwing bananas at a giant monkey, a lizard and a princess while racing in a haunted house? Great days.
            Well, I just meant that it feels closer to actual karting than other supposed kart racers. The narrow, tight tracks, and the way the karts feel to control, makes it seem like actual karting rather than a straight racing game.

Of course, some people don't like the narrow tracks and stiff feel of the karts, so karting isn't for them. They might prefer the wider tracks and looser feel of later games like Mario Kart 64.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            Sounds like sad old men trying to get attention to me.

I'm amazed by how timeless it still feels, it shrieks tru skool elegant Nintendo. Fools!
            Well, I got the impression they're guys in their 30s, so sadly they don't have the excuse of being grumpy old gits.

It really does feel timeless -- but obviously, not everyone appreciates the game. Some people simply don't like the way it looks and plays. But at least they don't totally bash the game and talk bollocks about it.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            I don't need to read the bollocks article judging by Leon's quotes. Yes, of course it's good. It's the only one I would ever have any desire to go back to, the new ones become tiresome soon enough.
            SMK is such a refined, well crafted creation, that you can really appreciate how pure the karting experience is. Nintendo really did deliver the "kart" aspect perfectly with SMK. That may not appeal to everyone, but lots of people love how intense it feels because of the short, narrow tracks, and the way you need a considered approach to handling the karts.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            I've never liked it, or any of them up until MK8 which is probably my favourite racer since GX.
            Yeah, MK8 is a brilliant game. It's a world away from SMK, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate SMK's unique qualities that still make it a joy to go back to.

Of course I can appreciate why people might prefer the more standard racing action of MK64 etc... But what annoyed me about HG101's view of SMK was the simple fact that they were talking bollocks about it. It wasn't a case of them just not liking it -- they really bashed every aspect of the game and said lots of rubbish about it.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Who cares what some podcast says? Seriously. What are this guy’s qualifications?
            Well, I listen to the HG101 podcast quite a bit, and I respect that they are knowledgeable gamers who have a passion for the hobby. So it really did shock me how scathing they were towards SMK -- and how much rubbish they spouted about it. It was like they were talking about some crappy C-grade prototype game, rather than a much-loved classic that was and still is seen as a great game.

So, I can accept that people's taste varies, but it's not fair to bash a game if you're simply spouting nonsense. Some of the HG101 people did that with SMK. It really did feel like a bunch of kids bashing a retro game and calling it "terrible" simply because it's old.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

SMK is not only the best in the series but also, quite possibly, the best multiplayer experience of all. This thread should be closed.
            Well, thanks for explaining why HG101's view of SMK is totally unfair. All the positive things you've said about SMK are 100% true. It really is a great karting experience for many reasons. It's also a game that keeps on giving the more time you spend with it. You really can hone your skills to a great level.

So it's not a "slow" game that feels like a "prototype" sort of experience. It's a karting game full of intense, fun racing, and the overall design works perfectly to deliver a truly memorable game that people still want to come back to.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Also I'm bad it.
            It's definitely the most demanding game in the series -- which is why some people just feel frustration when they play it. But HG101 didn't give the game a proper chance, so they just jumped to stupid conclusions about what the game has to offer.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Sound like a bunch of twonks of course its excellent any mention that the music being bad is hilarious, they obviously like snow patrol.
            I was thinking about the music in SMK, because they were very negative about it and acted like the composer really dropped the ball, but I think all the music in SMK is perfectly fitting and memorable.

It's not my favourite SNES soundtrack, but I fully respect the fact that the music really suits the game.

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
            What a ridiculous thread, one of the most heavily acclaimed and influential games of all time - "Good or bad"?
            Well, as much as you have a point, there does seem like a clear divide between people who think it's 'good' and those who think it's 'bad'.

Anyway, I think it's better than "good", it's brilliant!

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            clickbait lol
            I would have titled it: Super Mario Kart is sh*t!

I created the thread on impulse after listening to such a nonsensical podcast. I just couldn't believe how much they bashed such a classic game that lots of people still enjoy playing.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-11-2018, 09:45.

Comment

It 'was' good, but it's aged badly, looks like crap and the tracks simply too flat, there are better games the series. I've always loved Mario Kart 64 the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                I've always loved Mario Kart 64 the best.
                No wonder you don't like SMK. I've noticed that people who go on about MK64 being a great game, usually don't like SMK.

If MK64 were a true follow up to SMK, with the same sort of narrow tracks and true karting feel, then I'd probably really like it. What I didn't like -- is the tracks are too wide and long, and it felt like a lonely experience at times. You didn't really get the intense, manic feel of SMK.

But as much as I'm not a fan of MK64, I did get some enjoyment out of it. I think later games - especially MK8 - really took the MK64 style to a much more satisfying level. MK8 is a truly brilliant racing experience.

For me though -- SMK's distinct karting style still makes it a fun game to go back to. Of course the graphics are a bit flat, and the gameplay maybe a bit clunky for newcomers, but if you're reasonably good at SMK, the karting action can be intensely fun.

Comment

Super Mario Kart got more multiplayer playtime than any other game on my Super Famicom (Street Fighter II Turbo aside). 4-player battle mode was so much fun. If you got two highly and similarly skilled players then races too were just fantastic and often decided by fractions of a second. The game's a classic in my opinion and a source of fond memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    No wonder you don't like SMK. I've noticed that people who go on about MK64 being a great game, usually don't like SMK.
                    I loved the game and still play it now with mates on the Christmas games day we have. I really enjoyed Mario Kart at the time, but like with many 16bit racers its just so hard to go back and play them now. 16-bit tech really held back so many racers of that era and truth be told, I enjoyed Lotus 2 on the Amiga more for 2 player battles.

The 3D in Mario Kart 64, really opened up the game up and really made the battle mode. I also think, it features the best course design in the series... A lot of that is nostalgia mind and those wonderful days when you and a gang of mates and plenty of Uni mates would all sit around the TV and play endless games of Mario Kart 64 and Golden Eye 64 multi player, Saturn Bomberman multi player modes.

I still think F-Zero is the better looking sounding and better game than Mario Kart on the Snes. I don't think F-Zero will ever age tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                      If you got two highly and similarly skilled players then races too were just fantastic and often decided by fractions of a second.
                      It's definitely a game that demands skill. So you need to put the time in to learn how the game controls and the techniques to improve times. I think some people play it now and expect it to feel like a more modern MK game, when it's completely different. SMK is very much a tense karting experience that demands skill and cocentration.

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                      The game's a classic in my opinion and a source of fond memories.
                      It's definitely a golden classic that lots of people - even non-SNES owners - have fond memories of. It really was something extra special back in the day. These days, I think some people just think the gameplay is too demanding and punishing.

but like with many 16bit racers its just so hard to go back and play them now.
                      I don't think anyone should lump it in with all the 16-bit racer dross. I would agree that a lot of 16-bit racers are weak for various reasons, but that has always been the case. It's not like we had loads of great 16-bit racers back in the day. Games like Lotus 2 on the Amiga were unusually good next to tons of rubbish.

If I ever go back to Street Racer -- now that's a game I still think is weak. There's something about the perspective and the way it plays that has never felt right. It really shows how special SMK is.

The 3D in Mario Kart 64, really opened up the game up and really made the battle mode. I also think, it features the best course design in the series...
                      It's strange, because lots of people have the same positive view of MK64 and say they loved the more open tracks and bigger battle arenas. Then you have people firmly in the SMK camp who say it did everything right. -- that the more tight track design and intense battle arenas are far more satisfying.

I would never say MK64 is a bad game, because it's maybe a 7/10 in my book. I really wish it had been more like SMK but with the benefit of the N64 tech. What we got instead, was a move away from a pure karting experience to it feeling more like a straight racing game with wide, long courses.

The MK64 style didn't really work for me until MK8. It's like Nintendo finally managed to create a truly brilliant racing game. It's still 'racing' rather than 'karting' though, but I appreciate what it has to offer. MK64 felt too open and lacking intensity, so I didn't get the same thrill from it that I did with SMK.

I still think F-Zero is the better looking sounding and better game than Mario Kart on the Snes. I don't think F-Zero will ever age tbh
                      F-Zero is my favourite of the two, but SMK definitely comes close. There are aspects of both games that still make them addictive. They're both harsh games for newcomers though, simply because the way they control demands quick reflexes and concentration. Both are very old school racing games, but definitely still worth playing.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-11-2018, 14:00.

Comment

I love the original SNK. it's the most skilful in the series and the hardest to master, but the controls are tight and responsive. still holds up today! still boot this up every now and again to run through 100/150cc special cup to see the secret ending credits

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife View Post
                          it's the most skilful in the series and the hardest to master,
                          I think it's too old school for some gamers. It really is a demanding game, so it's probably difficult for some gamers to get to grips with. You could say the same for lots of classic retro games.

The thing is -- because I mastered it a long time ago, I can appreciate its qualities. But some people like those at HG101 just don't put the time in to learn the game. Something like MK64 is a much easier game to play.

Comment

LOL! It takes about two days to master SMK. There's absolutely nothing hard about it. At all.

Comment

LOL! It takes about two days to master MK8. There's absolutely nothing hard about it. At all.
                              Corrected.

Comment

LOL! It takes about two days to master SMK. There's absolutely nothing hard about it. At all.
                                In the short time I had my Switch, I played MK8 constantly as it was (for me) the only decent thing on it. To be honest though, it was pretty personality free. I can still go back to SMK, especially with friends, and have an absolute riot of a laugh playing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X