Super Mario Kart: Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Mario Kart: Good or Bad?

I listened to this podcast: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/pod...er-mario-kart/

It surprised me how damning these guys were towards Super Mario Kart. What annoyed me though, was the way they(especially the main guy who talks the most) kept saying unfair things about the game.

It was criticised as being "slow", when that's not the case. A skilled player on 150cc mode can really whiz around the tracks - especially tracks like Ghost Valley and Bowser Castle - so the game is certainly not lacking pace when you get into it.

They also criticised the game's controls, saying you "can't powerslide", and giving the impression that using the 'hop' button isn't an important part of mastering the game. They acted like the karts control like blocks with no amount of nuance to the control.

They were also negative towards the graphics, music(supposedly it's terrible), and just gave the impression that the whole production is a prototype sort of mess.

Then to top all the negativity off -- they claimed that no-one would go back to SMK after playing Mario Kart 64 or later editions.

So, as much as I respect the fact that some people prefer Mario Kart 64 or other Mario Kart games, as someone who appreciates how distinct and special SMK is, I have to disagree with HG101's appraisal of the game.

SMK isn't the slow, clunky, badly designed game they paint it to be. It wasn't back in 1992 -- and it isn't today. In fact, you would be right to say that SMK actually feels more like karting than later games in the series. You could also make a strong case as to why the gameplay is nuanced enough to mean you can really embrace the game and learn to master it. It's certainly not a clunky, unplayable mess. When I play it, I can't help but think "This is what karting is all about" and enjoy every moment. It's not an easy game though, so you really have to learn to control the karts and master techniques to hone your skills.

I know that SMK isn't everyone's cup of tea, but listening to Hardcoregaming101 bash every aspect of the game really felt unfair and misguided. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-11-2018, 08:23.

Haven't watched that, but it's the only one in the series that I don't like. Even back in its day, I couldn't stand it.

Comment

To be honest I wouldn't agree with any of those criticisms about the game, I think someone would have to really be coming at it from a fresh eyes modern gamer who dislikes retro games mindset to come to that view. That being said, I do find the game to be quite dated these days and whilst I get the love it still gets for me several entries easily beat it out.

Comment

I thought it was great, back then. I think what ruins the series these days is seeing people playing the game making you look like you did it wrong. But they are getting great times by what looks like cheating. Actually, not sure if that was the case for SNES or even WiiU/Switch version. Maybe I should shut the hell up.

Comment

What several of the entries slip into the is the F-Zero GX snaking type trap, where best times come down more to the ability to spam one mechanic rather than actual racing which is where I drop off. SMK didn't really have that which is probably why its fanbase gravitate to it amongst other reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            When I play it, I can't help but think "This is what karting is all about" and enjoy every moment
            It is exactly what karting is all about. Who can forget Lewis Hamilton coming up through the karting ranks, throwing bananas at a giant monkey, a lizard and a princess while racing in a haunted house? Great days.

Comment

Sounds like sad old men trying to get attention to me.

I'm amazed by how timeless it still feels, it shrieks tru skool elegant Nintendo. Fools!

Comment

The rubberbanding on it was laughable, even when new.

Comment

I don't need to read the bollocks article judging by Leon's quotes. Yes, of course it's good. It's the only one I would ever have any desire to go back to, the new ones become tiresome soon enough.

Comment

I've never liked it, or any of them up until MK8 which is probably my favourite racer since GX.

64 was fun with three others back during the dawn of 4P split screen. That's about it.

Comment

Who cares what some podcast says? Seriously. What are this guy’s qualifications? Even if he had some, who cares? You either like the game or you don’t. Unless it’s Barry Norman, and I think he might be dead now, I have no idea why anyone ever started caring about what some random guy on a podcast, something which ANYONE can make, says about a game.

Anyway, it’s a great game. Yeah it has aged. Yeah I actually prefer the more recent ones but it’s obviously a strong and very influential game.
                      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 08-11-2018, 17:40. Reason: Happy hour

Comment

Anyone who has played SMK to a level whereby they instantly go to Bowser/DKJ on the character select screen and spend most of the track with the kart facing sidewards, hopping for every manouevre understands why it is so good and, contrary to HG-101’s assertions, has highly nuanced gameplay. I mean, come on, things like hopping the ‘six hops’ of the first Bowser Castle to avoid the (albeit minor) speed drop incurred by hitting the ramp, building enough speed to hop Ghost Valley shortcut (yes hop, not feather), and using hops to regain speed having hit a wall. These are mechanics not featured in any other game in the series and add additional layers of depth to SMK.

Rubber banding in SMK is not an issue as when two highly competent players are up against one another then even the smallest mistake can put you back enough to be at a disadvantage, and the icon system won’t dish out red shells (or even green) until you fall further down the pack. In fact I find the rubber banding to work well and keep games competitive without punishing the race leader. The same cannot be said of later iterations.

SMK is not only the best in the series but also, quite possibly, the best multiplayer experience of all. This thread should be closed.

Comment

Mario kart 8 was excellent and double dash was good, but honestly I think they get crustier the further you go back. I genuinely don’t get the gushing for the snes one....

Comment

I can't relate to any of those issues, it's still the best one.

Comment

64 was my first and having played Super Mario Kart way after the fact I barely recognise it as a Mario Kart title. I don't think it plays well. Also I'm bad it.

Comment

Working...
                              X