The Commodore 64 @ 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
    but there *are* certain things that are easy to do on the C64 that are trickier to do on the Amiga.

Edit: There's a thread here (on an Amiga board) that discusses some of the problems that might occur with a 1:1 conversion of Mayhem in Monsterland http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76317
    Thanks for the link.

From what I can gather -- it seems like you'd simply have to use different methods to implement the features found in Mayhem in Monsterland. So obviously someone would have to take the time to learn the Amiga architecture and then work out how to best take advantage of the hardware for something like Monsterland.

It's certainly not like the C64 is similar to the Amiga, so you could just port the game. No, you'd have to really consider how you'd approach adapting the game for the Amiga.

I really appreciate how capable the C64 tech is -- and it's interesting how some devs found clever ways to push the system to deliver games unthinkable early on in the machine's life. The Amiga tech was also utilised better as time went on.

Comment

Spectrum Next > Mega 65

36 years on and we’re still at it 😂

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        Spectrum Next > Mega 65

36 years on and we’re still at it 
        Maybe Amstrad fans will get lucky next. Hope so.

Comment

I have an old C64 in the attic that isn't working at the moment, I saw this and thought that it might be worth replacing the board with it and putting the SID in the ZIF, doesn't seem an unreasonable price.

Still, I suspect it'd end up a curiosity used for a day or two and put back in the cupboard, but this may be of interest if you're a C64 fan.

Comment

If you missed it, you can check out our C64 podcast Zapped to the Past by going to zappedtothepast.podbean.com We were also featured in this month's Retro Gamer, which was awesome.

Comment

Well done guys. I don’t always get to listen to you as I have a lot of podcasts to get through but will eventually listen to them all!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                I have an old C64 in the attic that isn't working at the moment, I saw this and thought that it might be worth replacing the board with it and putting the SID in the ZIF, doesn't seem an unreasonable price.

Still, I suspect it'd end up a curiosity used for a day or two and put back in the cupboard, but this may be of interest if you're a C64 fan.
                I have an Ultimate 64 Elite and it is glorious. Highly recommended, if only for the HDMi out and 1541 emulation. All the other stuff, 2 SID sockets, 8 virtual SID support, REU emulation, 1581 emulation, LED strip support, ethernet, up to 48mhz acceleration etc. is just a bonus.

Comment

[MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] Thanks for listening. We're not going anywhere so there's no rush.

Comment

Working...
                  X