User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    ^ I did that pen-pal piracy thing too, using those freeze-frame carts, etc., and also sold my C64 and 1541 to go next-gen in the late 1980s. I could only afford an Atari ST, though, an experience that was so anaemic and bad - after all the fun I'd had on C64 (and also on my mate's Spec48, to be fair) - that I went into the gaming wilderness for several years afterwards.

In terms of console wars of the past there were always arguments for both systems but when it came to Amiga vs ST, if you’d bought the ST then you’d ****ed up and you knew it.

Sorry, this is a C64 thread and I think I helped derail it. Back on track though I just got some silicon based oil to grease the tracks in the 1541 floppy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    In terms of console wars of the past there were always arguments for both systems but when it came to Amiga vs ST, if you’d bought the ST then you’d ****ed up and you knew it.
    Yup. I knew it alright. To add insult to injury, my ex-Spec48 sparring buddy got the Amiga.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Arguably (actually, possibly unarguably) the smoothest scrolling ever is that of an AGA equipped Amiga i.e. A1200 and A4000 as those machines could perform subpixel scrolling: A low res (as was normal) screen could be scrolled by super-hi-res amounts; same for the sprites. In addition you could have a Hires (or super!) sprite on a low res screen!
    Yep, think the Amiga had scrolling in hardware down to a quarter of a pixel, I used to use Videoscape 3D and Scala and the scrolling was better than a mega pc with PowerPoint can to today, add in overscan modes, hardware genlocking and background transparency it was an absolute monster of a graphics machine compared to anything else a home user could buy at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
    but there *are* certain things that are easy to do on the C64 that are trickier to do on the Amiga.

Edit: There's a thread here (on an Amiga board) that discusses some of the problems that might occur with a 1:1 conversion of Mayhem in Monsterland http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76317
    Thanks for the link.

From what I can gather -- it seems like you'd simply have to use different methods to implement the features found in Mayhem in Monsterland. So obviously someone would have to take the time to learn the Amiga architecture and then work out how to best take advantage of the hardware for something like Monsterland.

It's certainly not like the C64 is similar to the Amiga, so you could just port the game. No, you'd have to really consider how you'd approach adapting the game for the Amiga.

I really appreciate how capable the C64 tech is -- and it's interesting how some devs found clever ways to push the system to deliver games unthinkable early on in the machine's life. The Amiga tech was also utilised better as time went on.

Spectrum Next > Mega 65

36 years on and we’re still at it 😂

Quote Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
    Spectrum Next > Mega 65

36 years on and we’re still at it 
    Maybe Amstrad fans will get lucky next. Hope so.