Critics Club II: 34 - John Candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club II: 34 - John Candy

Turning back the clock to a beloved comedian...

John Candy

Vote for the movie you feel is their best whilst also discussing their other work, your reasons for voting and thoughts on what is their weakest.

Some will have very long lists so some trimming will be required to focus on the key entries but broadly the main selection will be available each time.
    It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time
    0%
    The Clown Murders
    0%
    Find the Lady
    0%
    The Silent Partner
    0%
    Lost and Found
    0%
    0%
    Double Negative
    0%
    The Blues Brothers
    0%
    Stripes
    0%
    Vacation
    0%
    Going Beserk
    0%
    Splash
    0%
    Brewster's Millions
    0%
    Follow that Bird
    0%
    Summer Rental
    0%
    Volunteers
    0%
    Armed and Dangerous
    0%
    Little Shop of Horrors
    0%
    Spaceballs
    0%
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    0%
    The Great Outdoors
    0%
    Hot to Trot
    0%
    Who's Harry Crumb?
    0%
    Cannonball Fever
    0%
    Uncle Buck
    0%
    Masters of Menace
    0%
    Home Alone
    0%
    The Rescuers Down Under
    0%
    Nothing But Trouble
    0%
    Only the Lonely
    0%
    Delirious
    0%
    JFK
    0%
    Once Upon a Crime...
    0%
    Cool Runnings
    0%
    Wagons East
    0%
    Canadian Bacon
    0%

He was great in Planes, Trains and Automobiles but my fave is probably Uncle Buck. Classic John Candy film with lots of laughs and lots of heart. I remember laughing loads at Who's Harry Crumb back in the day.

Funny Planes, Trains story. A few of our radio stations (back when I worked for EMAP) were at some awful training/seminar/team-building thing and one of the speakers showed a clip from Planes, Traines (airport scene when Steve Martin is uber stressed at the ticket desk) to show how a bad attitude gets you nothing. When the clip ended the speaker asked the room "what advice would you have given Steve Martin?" and in a heartbeat someone shouted "don't do Bilko".

Maybe you had to be there

Comment

Got to be PT&A. Believe it or not I only saw it for the first time last year and it really stuck with me. That ending made me cry hard.

Notable mentions are Home Alone which I remember him most from as a kid (as well as Splash which I must have seen a million times as a little kid yet remember hardly anything about) his cameo among many others in Little Shop of Horrors and Spaceballs.
      Last edited by Blobcat; 13-11-2018, 21:59.

Comment

When I think of him my mind goes straight to four films - Spaceballs, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Uncle Buck and Cool Runnings... despite never seeing the last one, I just remember it being talked about a lot on release and the next time I heard properly about him he had died.

PT&A though, adore it and the entire thing literally hangs off Martin and Candy. Like often comes up, that 'I like me' scene is a killer as well as the wrap up. God knows what he was like in real life but he screamed likeability on screen.

Comment

Working...
        X