No announcement yet.

Little Things That Make You Smile 6: Nowhere To Go But Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be grabbing some greenery in a bit, will be seeking it out later this eve!

Comment

Finally, a use has been found for modern art!

A metro train that crashed through a barrier near Rotterdam is left suspended thanks to a sculpture.

Comment

Was just going to post that. Remarkable!

Instead, a few days late, but I'll post this which made me smile.

The great fox-spider had not been seen since the early 1990s and was feared extinct in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
          Was just going to post that. Remarkable!

Instead, a few days late, but I'll post this which made me smile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-54755697
          I just missed out the on the train as well.

That's great news about the spider though.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Finally, a use has been found for modern art!

A metro train that crashed through a barrier near Rotterdam is left suspended thanks to a sculpture.

Looks like they went to the Whale Weigh Station...
            @fuse

Comment

Look like train station to me.

Comment

For the train story I enjoyed seeing lots of appropriate uses of this gif

Comment

I just saw the spitting image of Jay and Silent Bob driving a van through Chichester

Comment

^Funnily enough, I saw my mate Wayne in the opening sequence to BLUE VELVET last night!!!!!

Current smile at the mo are them Korean tourism ads that appear at the start of many YouTube vids of the now. Will likely never have enough money or desire to visit but I think they're really happy and jaunty and I like them.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Got STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED in the Xbox sale. Haven't played it in over a decade and I'm glad to say the first level is STILL epic, pure Vader.

Such a feeling of awesome force. Man, it feels like when I charge up that slope on the first bin run of the morn. Pure Vader.
                      I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Xbox escapades, but I'm feeling like I can join in now that my Series S is a week away!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        ^Funnily enough, I saw my mate Wayne in the opening sequence to BLUE VELVET last night!!!!!

Current smile at the mo are them Korean tourism ads that appear at the start of many YouTube vids of the now. Will likely never have enough money or desire to visit but I think they're really happy and jaunty and I like them.
                        I use a blocker on Chrome for the lappy and Opera is in use on the moby so I don't see adverts on YouTube.

Comment

^just got a new big phone, I'll give that a try.

Was involved in a very strange little incident at work today, involving birds.

Yeah, I like to have a fag after each bin run but they've now entirely banned smoking on the grounds of the hosp. As I'm based very near the George St. entrance, I go for my snout just outside the hedge n' fence outside the old entrance, next to the postbox. It's a great place to stand and chill and people-watch.

Anyway, there's all these sparrows living in the hedge and I always talk to 'em when I'm having a smoke and they aren't scared of me and come proper close and tweet to me (begging for food, I know but they're one of my Top 2 fave birds and I adore them). I always think when I go back in "damn, I should've brought them some bread!" but I always forget.

Today, the loaf was done, toasted-out, there was a crust and a dry slice left in the bag so I took the crust out to give to my sparrows. I felt elated I'd finally remembered and I was full of joy.

I crushed up the crust, tossed it beside the hedge and a ****ing seagull swoops down, medium-sized so not scary but it keeps circling around for the bread (I'm waving it away saying "**** off!") and it won't stop trying, it even tried to crap on me but it landed three feet away.

There was a stalemate situation where the gull was perched upon a lamppost, giving off a very arsey vibe. I was happy to see some of the sparrows had managed to get their beaks into the bread but as I looked down, this bastard-of-a-bird zoomed down towards the bread...but at that very moment...

...that VERY moment...

A raven shot across the sky, coming into battle like Han Solo at the end of STAR WARS, heading straight at the gull like some twisted, black sky-dagger.

It literally chased it down the entire street, like a Maserati racing a Corsa. And as it reached the seagull, it pecked its arse. The gull shot upward, the raven decelerated to a soar. Finally, it landed on a chimney, looking all badass and cool. It was amazing, a beautiful coalition of man and bird defending the weak and vulnerable.

I never mentioned what my other Top 2 bird was. The raven. They are incredible creatures. And that album by The Stranglers really is the ****ing best. Serious, buy it. Incredible.

An incredible afternoon, and if I hadn't have been a dirty smoker then I would never have witnessed it!!!

Comment

That's a nice story, I like sparrows but they are reducing in numbers, lots of starlings about and of course the gulls who are the chav's of the bird world.

Never used to see them, only on our summer holidays at the seaside, usually Blackpool but they've gradually moved further and further inland over the years. A few months ago I saw some some fighting over another gull's dead carcass.

Comment

You're right! Chavs indeed!!! Thugs of the sky!!!!!

I don't hate seagulls, by the way, they do things the way they do. But I find the way they do things lacks finesse, they often come across as burly bullies. That is...until the ravens arrive.

Comment

If you don't want ads on your mobile I'd recommend installing Blokada (from their site, not the Play Store) and YouTube Vanced.

Comment

Working...
                                X