No announcement yet.

Little Things That Make You Smile 6: Nowhere To Go But Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only Deus Ex games I have played are the original, which is incredible, and Invisible War, which was terrible and a great disappointment.

I've never actually played the new ones. I must give them a try. I think at least one of them is on Game Pass. I'm surprised the PS3/360 one hasn't been ported to Switch to be honest.

As you say QC, the original was brilliant for how you could approach objectives in different ways. It felt really advanced from its time, and even now there aren't many games that offer you as many options for how to complete an objective.

In diametric opposition to Dogg, I actually love stealth and always choose stealth options when available. The only problem with stealth is that it is quite rare for it to be well implemented, especially as an optional play style. The best stealth, really, the best ever, proper honest to god stealth, is in the MGS games. I spent weeks lurking in ventilation shafts in MGS 5 and honestly I had a 10/10 time.

Comment

Yeah, man.
      Tenchu, MGS, Thief, Hitman, Tomb Raider and so on were great fun.

Although Deus Ex, totally let you go nuts with the boomsticks if that's the path you chose.

Comment

The only stealth games that ever really worked for me were Metal Gear Solid and, to a slightly lesser extent, MGS2. And the reason is that they mostly play out like a Pac-Man game and don't actually require much waiting at all. MGS3 then just annoyed me, as much as I loved it for other reasons.

Comment

I really enjoyed Mankind Divided. I went through NG+ and got all his upgrades. It's pretty cool strolling around like a tech god.

Comment

Well, I started it. First stage is set in a damaged Dubai luxury superbuilding and is clearly a stealth level...though I've managed to play it so far as a shooter, bar one with a knife to the heart, they've all died by machine gun.

I'm hoping this first bit serves as a training phase. It seems quite good but skyscrapers with no electricity aren't that exciting but that's all I've seen so far. Tho I've only been on it fifteen mins.

One good thing I did was drop the brightness to 35. It's way too bright at the default, all the white lights have haze that burns the back of the eyes off.

I'm sensing this will be very good. And having switched the gamma down, it feels a lot like the lighting used in Invisible War. Well, the very first level. Where it seems like Invisible War will be cool and have a sprawling city to explore. But you don't. You have an ace-looking first level then acres of shi t afterwards.

Comment

I'll also add that it's the type of game you should play with limited lighting in the room. I'm playing with the light on now and I reckon the game would look better on a sickie day off, afternoon with the curtains closed. Not sure if I could play it with the lights off, right now. Trying to protect what's left of me eyesight. Bet it looks great tho.

Will try.

Comment

Had a pretty miserable, crap day trying to get a hair cut which I ended up not getting among other things going wrong (parcel from japan I tried to pick up too late has now been sent back to sender, feeling like ****, just depressed etc.)

The bloke got me a present when out in town to cheer me up and gave it to me as a surpise. It was a copy of Mischief Makers on N64 which he knew I didn't grow up with but I liked.

Sadly he forgot I bought it years before and still had it (amongst other N64 games I swore I sold when we originally moved in together for funds with my N64) but I don't have an N64 to play it either.

Still it worked and cheered me up immensely his kind thought. Would like an N64 now for Christmas but I have no clue where or how we would play it. Thanks [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION], love ya lots

Comment

Just a brilliant thread of men’s ridiculous nicknames (and how they got them)

"Scottish Lad called Baxter Campbell.... nickname Two Soups"

"I had a colleague called ‘Big Dave, Little Dave’ because he had a limp and when he walked behind a row of cabinets you could only see his head every other step."

"We had a guy who had one hand smaller than the other. It was a proper medical thing (à la Jeremy Beadle).He was known as Clock."

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Just a brilliant thread of men’s ridiculous nicknames (and how they got them)

"Scottish Lad called Baxter Campbell.... nickname Two Soups"

"I had a colleague called ‘Big Dave, Little Dave’ because he had a limp and when he walked behind a row of cabinets you could only see his head every other step."

"We had a guy who had one hand smaller than the other. It was a proper medical thing (à la Jeremy Beadle).He was known as Clock."
                    “Why is he called Egg?”
                    “Oh he once had an Egg sandwich for his lunch in a school trip in 1996”

Not because he regularly gets laid then

Comment

In light of the UK losing its immunity status to Measles I thought I'd share this.

Comment

The nicknames thing reminds me of that Greg Davis sketch

I had an old uni friend who I recently replied to something on facebook calling me "Little Ronnie!!"

I had nearly forgotten he called me that.
                        Why "Little Ronnie" ? Remember that Comic Relief video of "This is the way to Amarillo", Ronnie Corbert was in it and famously fell over in it. One evening walking back from the pub I tripped over spectacularly like Corbert with this friend who has called me that ever since.

Comment

TV series that are anything between 8 and 13 episodes in length. Really come to appreciate that window of eps as being ideal for most shows, including those that painfully stretch themselves up to 22 eps still.

Comment

A guy at work been dodging getting the coffees from the machine for a couple days so I called him "Locksmith" because when it's his round, he always makes a bolt for the door...

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              TV series that are anything between 8 and 13 episodes in length. Really come to appreciate that window of eps as being ideal for most shows, including those that painfully stretch themselves up to 22 eps still.
                              Definitely. Even better - I'm watching Glow and the episodes are about 10 minutes shorter than most shows and it's glorious.

I remember back when pretty much every show had 22+ episode seasons, Oz had 8 episodes and it told some of the tightest, best-paced stories ever to make it to TV.

Comment

Oz was/is THE best. Simples. Best TV show *ever*.

Also, dug my SNES Mini out and been having a Final Fight marathon, I have every one on there, even the butchered US orig with Poison turned to blokes in jeans.

What I like about the SNES Mini is the control. It *feels* like a SNES, not an emu. It's primarily the pad.

But I feel like I been playing on a SNES all nite.

Comment

Working...
                                X