Little Things That Make You Smile 6: Nowhere To Go But Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
    Having a laugh insofar as being amused by it. Also by the noise in/around his twitter feed that plagiarism can be accidental (it can't) and that it's the job of copy editors to identify and weed it out (it's not). A trivial example, but amusing.
    This reads like you have no idea what type of book it is by which author, which I’m hoping is true because it would be nicely poetic given what happened.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        This reads like you have no idea what type of book it is by which author, which I’m hoping is true because it would be nicely poetic given what happened.
        Yep, perfectly aware it's a piece of creative writing by a novelist, thanks. But let's not pretend a direct cut-n-paste lift via google is equivalent to the standard - and perfectly acceptable - practise of taking creative influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
          Yep, perfectly aware it's a piece of creative writing by a novelist, thanks. But let's not pretend a direct cut-n-paste lift via google is equivalent to the standard - and perfectly acceptable - practise of taking creative influence.
          It’s not creative influence. If you had been aware of the details, you’d know that’s ridiculous. The book is a historical drama set in the real world. To suggest that a seasoned and celebrated author knowingly and willingly plagiarised Legend of Zelda for a grounded historical drama without changing a single word is nonsense. The author used google to research a detail (how clothes are dyed) and it backfired badly. Authors use research all the time. They used it before google existed and they use it now. It’s how writing works. Research is not plagiarism. You clearly didn’t read the details so I guess you and John Boyne are in it together.

Comment

Sorry but I read the details and know rather a lot about research and writing and indeed plagiarism, having had my own work plagiarised by an established professor, and also having the responsibility of instructing our students on how to avoid the dangers of this. This was a lift, regardless of how trivial it might be in the larger scheme of the novel. All plagiarism is done "knowingly and willingly". It cannot happen by accident.

Comment

Had you indeed read about it before now, you would know it’s not in any way creative influence, which is what you called it. You didn’t read it properly, you reacted and got it wrong. Such is the way of how information spreads these days. The author did the same thing. He owned up to it right away though, so I give the guy credit for that. Anyway, that’s all there is to the story. I imagine he’ll want to correct it in future editions. Moving on...

Comment

Moving on, Samara Ginsberg is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  This is amazing!

Comment

Apologies for going on about it, but what I don't get with the author/Zelda thing is how he didn't realise something was up when he actually typed the words, considering the book's set in the real world. Didn't he realise they're not real words? Anyway, as DT says, moving on...

Comment

Be fair, endo, there are lots and lots of words and even a seasoned author can't be expected to keep track of them all. ☺️And past form suggests he maybe just likes elements of fantasy in his grounded historical literature. Anyway, moving on...

Comment

This is the smile thread. Can I ask everyone to take their comments regarding the use of Hylian shrooms and Lizalfos tails in historically accurate literary novels to the Little Things That Make You Passive Aggressive thread.

My smile today is that I'm seeing one of my best buds for the first time since February. We normally see each other most weeks so it's been a long time coming. Checking out his new gaff and having some beers. My only slight concern is that it is going to be 38 degrees!

Comment

New gaff?

Perfect. You have to christen the toilet with a ‘hot sticky day’ chod. One of those that leaves a trail of skids into the harbour.

Think of it as the BD equivalent of taking a bottle of wine round.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                            This is amazing!
                            Really makes you realise how unrealistic the yakuza games are!

Comment

Had a bit of top news today. Not elaborating but karma's a bitch.

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like PencilTip.

Comment

Working...
                                X