Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Sega - 1996

Guardian Heroes - Sega - 1996

Nights into Dreams - Sega - 1996

Soukyugurentai - Electronic Arts - 1996

Die Hard Arcade - Sega - 1997

Sonic R - Sega - 1997

Radiant Silvergun - ESP - 1998

Burning Rangers - Sega - 1998

Here are twelve Sega Saturn classics from an extensive list. Which one do you like the most?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-11-2018, 21:07.

Of that specific 12, probably NiGHTS but my soft spot goes to Burning Rangers

Comment

Loved so many of those. That being said, I never played Astal. I really wanted it; there was a video of it on one of the Sega Saturn Magazine demo discs, but it never saw a UK release.

I got rid of my Saturn when the N64 was on the horizon, as I could see the writing was on the wall for the machine. I didn't get to play some of the titles until years later - mainly the big hitters from late in the machine's life, such as some of those above - Burning Rangers, Sonic R and the like.

In truth, while I loved many things about Burning Rangers, I've never really rated the game. I just felt it was too glitchy after playing the likes of Metal Gear on PS1. I feel it was trying to do more than the machine was really capable of. Also I never got Sonic R; just have never managed to glean any enjoyment from it (besides finding the music very charming in a bonkers way).

Conversely, Daytona USA is one of my favourite games ever. It was one of the two games I got with the machine (Virtua Fighter was the other). Even at the time we could tell it was a slightly ropey conversion but it was the first 3D racing game I or any of my friends played on a home console (maaaaybe Megadrive Virtua Racing was earlier).

It's funny. I asked my dad if I could get a Saturn for Christmas, and he was able to afford it somehow. I think he did some extra contract work to pay for it. Admittedly he played on it as much as I did in the first 6 months, so it wasn't just for me. That being said, I always remember how about a week before Xmas, we went to a party at a family friends' who had a PS1 with Tekken, and I honestly wondered at the time if I'd made the right choice. There was just this perception at the time that Sony's games were flashy and "cool", but were lacking in substance, whereas Sega had this great arcade pedigree that would see them shine through in the finish.

In a way, it was both right and wrong. The Saturn never won out in the popularity stakes, but I think it had some fantastic games which stuck to a kind of "ethos". The machine had an "identity". Maybe it's because Sega did much of the heavy lifting with some select third parties. As a kid, part of me was sad the machine didn't take off (the PS owning kids were able to trade games in the playground, which I wasn't able to do) but as an adult, I'm glad it was the way it was. I would've hated the machine to lose that identity due to success.

Comment

Does Souky belong here, in that it wasn’t an exclusive?

Anyway, Sega Rally for me. Endlessly playable, I never grow tired of it.

Comment

It'd be one of the shmups for me. Tough choice though. Souky is pound for pound a better 2D shooting experience (for me) but Silvergun is such an amazing showcase I'd be awfully tempted to go with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

Conversely, Daytona USA is one of my favourite games ever. It was one of the two games I got with the machine (Virtua Fighter was the other). Even at the time we could tell it was a slightly ropey conversion but it was the first 3D racing game I or any of my friends played on a home console (maaaaybe Megadrive Virtua Racing was earlier).
            I didn't buy Daytona for a while, because it had a bad rep. But when I bought a cheap copy in 1998, I realised it's not a bad port and enjoyed it. I wish I had bought a copy in 1995.

There was just this perception at the time that Sony's games were flashy and "cool",
            Yeah, all sorts of magazines were promoting the PlayStation as "cool and trendy." Sony did a great job of marketing the machine.

I would've hated the machine to lose that identity due to success.
            Yeah, it had quite a cult image in the West. In Japan though, it was a huge thing. It certainly gave the machine more mystique compared to the more mainstream vibe of the PlayStation.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Does Souky belong here, in that it wasn’t an exclusive?
            It was made for the Sega ST-V board, so is very much a Saturn game. It just happened to get ported to the PS1.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Anyway, Sega Rally for me. Endlessly playable, I never grow tired of it.
            Sega Rally on the Saturn was not only a stunning port -- but also immensely playable. It's still fun to go back to. Easily one of my favourite Saturn games that I have a lot of nostalgia for.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Souky is pound for pound a better 2D shooting experience (for me) but Silvergun is such an amazing showcase I'd be awfully tempted to go with that.
            I rate both really highly, so it would be quite hard to choose between them. But I think I'd probably opt for RSG.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-11-2018, 00:11.

Comment

Soukyugurentai - It's like a religion to me. I simply worship that game and make sure to play my respects to the game on a weekly basis lol. The music score is also incredible and the game features the #Trademark amazing RAIZING 3rd stage, which all their games seemed to have.

I have to say that Die Hard Arcade is a much-overlooked gem of a game, that's every bit as good as a SOR II only in 3D and looks utterly amazing with some of the best textures used in a Saturn game and great use of the VDP II. Astal is also a much over looked Saturn gem too with a great and fun 2 player mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Soukyugurentai - It's like a religion to me. I simply worship that game and make sure to play my respects to the game on a weekly basis lol.
                I like the game -- but I'm not going to create a religion called Souky.

Astal is also a much over looked Saturn gem too with a great and fun 2 player mode.
                Yeah, it's such a 2D gem. The graphics still look really nice.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-11-2018, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I like the game -- but I'm not going to create a religion called Souky.
                  Haha I know your is Axelay . Mind is Souky both great games and religions lol

Comment

Haha I know your is Axelay .
                    I'd create a metal band called 'Axelay' and people could worship them as Rock Gods.

Comment

I saw the thread title and thought at last Sega are releasing a Saturn compilation. Alas no. Come on Sega its time to leave the mega drive classics and move on now.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
                        Come on Sega its time to leave the mega drive classics and move on now.
                        Maybe Sega don't feel that Saturn emulation could be rock solid, or worth the effort to get a range of games working 100%. I think that a company like Sega could pay some clever coders to deliver convincing Saturn emulation, it would just take the will to do so.

Imagine if Sega released a Saturn Classic console in Japan with the list of games I compiled and more -- I think it would be really popular. The machine was a big thing in Japan, so a Classic machine would be welcomed.

Comment

TA, I’m stuck, which is better Battle G or Souky?

Comment

I'm sure that part of the reason we haven't seen one is that worldwide the Saturn was seen as a flop and who would want to buy games that added to that perception. Well me for one Sega!

Comment

I've fixed your list for you some of the names you wrote were the publishers, not the developers.

Daytona USA - Sega - 1995

Fighting Vipers - Sega - 1995

Sega Rally - Sega - 1995

Astal - Sega - 1995

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Sega - 1996

Guardian Heroes - Treasure - 1996

Nights into Dreams - Sega - 1996

Soukyugurentai - Raizing / 8ing - 1996

Die Hard Arcade - Sega - 1997

Sonic R - Travelers Tales - 1997

Radiant Silvergun - Treasure - 1998

Burning Rangers - Sega - 1998