Retro|Spective 066: Panzer Dragoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Conkers looks great from those screenshots but to say Orta looks amazing? Looks like what it is to me, a really old game, upscaled. I did really enjoy the game back in the day though and thought it looked incredible at the time.
    Its an old game that looks increabile today on the One X given its age (2002) and its a patch done for free

Comment

Given its age I grant you it looks good on modern hardware but only in the same way that a gamecube game looks good on a Dolphin emulator. They still look like the old games that they are but I do appreciate the work that has gone into making them playable on today's hardware. I thought Crackdown looked quite impressive on my One X too but the controls and general game engine felt old by today's standards. Rose tinted specs are a wonderful thing because I remember that I considered Crackdown to be the absolute pinnacle of control feel for 3rd person action game but after playing Infamous and Uncharted and Tomb Raider it feels creaky.

Comment

I remember that I considered Crackdown to be the absolute pinnacle of control feel for 3rd person action game...
        Perhaps you were heavily drunk at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Perhaps you were heavily drunk at that time?
          Perhaps! What was better at the time?

Comment

Given its age I grant you it looks good on modern hardware but only in the same way that a gamecube game looks good on a Dolphin emulator. They still look like the old games that they are but I do appreciate the work that has gone into making them playable on today's hardware. I thought Crackdown looked quite impressive on my One X too but the controls and general game engine felt old by today's standards. Rose tinted specs are a wonderful thing because I remember that I considered Crackdown to be the absolute pinnacle of control feel for 3rd person action game but after playing Infamous and Uncharted and Tomb Raider it feels creaky.
            I'm actually with [MENTION=3542]Team Andromeda[/MENTION] on this one. It's because Orta was 60fps; in high-res, I think it looks really great. I mean of course, it's an older game and the VFX is limited, but I would happily pay for it today.

Comment

Given its age I grant you it looks good on modern hardware but only in the same way that a gamecube game looks good on a Dolphin emulator.
              If only one was able to download an XBox Emu half as good as Dolphin, never mind trying to get a game like Orta to run half as good. The point is this is a free patch and where all one needs is a copy of the game and a XBox One.

Its amazing and Orta still looks and runs gorgeously to this very day. If only SEGA we could get JSRF and GV next

Comment

Bravo, round of applause for this series, probably one of the most esoteric in gaming history.

All mainline entries special in their own way ( for some ungodly reason never played much of Orta), Saga is the only RPG ive played through to completion - and did it twice. One of the greatest in history for me and worth the mental money....sold mine for something silly like £80 0_o.

Comment

Spoiler for the end of Panzer Dragoon Zwei but remember how amazing the intro to that last battle was and the music? It's incredible. They managed to get a theme unlike any boss music in that it's kind of slow and beautiful but also has that kick to it.

Comment

Enjoyed reading this discussion, only had Orta but loved it, graphics were jaw dropping reminding me of the Psygnosis Barbarian games on the Amiga except Orta had some gameplay in there as well.

Comment

What are the chances I can say style over substance and get out of the thread alive?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        What are the chances I can say style over substance and get out of the thread alive?
                        Shoo! Shoo! (smacks your back side with a broom)

Comment

Remember when Sega denies us this?

For 067:
                          Clue - It'd be bizarre to not be o-K

Comment

Still amazing at how good Zwei looks and runs. At the time I thought it was the best looking 3D game on any system.

Comment

Working things out I want to wrap up Retro|Spective for 2018 in reasonable before Xmas lands so next week will be a double issue bumper week. Therefore:

For 067:
                              Clue - It'd be bizarre to not be o-K

For 068:
                              Clue - Knowing Jack is sure to amuze

Comment

Working...
                              X