Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RetroWars II: Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3

Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3

Bringing us much closer to modern day gaming this time and instead changing the focus to rival systems instead of rival companies, the second RetroWar see's Microsofts most successful console pitted against Sony's third gen system that was eventually just about able to beat MS out on hardware sales as their battle drew to a close.

In each RetroWar we pit two titans of rivalry against one another as many school kids would do back in the day, weighing up the strengths and weaknesses of each side, arguing in favour of your childhood 'top dog' and sharing your modern day hindsight view on who truly was the greatest.

Let's look at our two competitors:

XBOX 360
    Microsoft was eager to make its second attempt at a console have a bigger impact than its first so they had snuck up in the night, positioned themselves behind the giant neck of the original Xbox and then slit its throat. Some fans were angry at the premature demise of the system but Microsoft was quick to have the 360 lined up with a diverse launch day line up and a proper evolution of hardware over the original system. With full Live integration, sliding blade menu's and Rare now publicly on board, MS was ready to deliver and throughout the generation the system consistently beat out the Playstation 3 on the quality of multi-platform titles. Additionally it delivered a big success story with the motion camera Kinect that sold in the millions and helped expand the systems appeal in a more widespread manner.

PLAYSTATION 3
    Stumbling out the gates, Sony spent the entire generation working to pave the way to clamber back on top. It expanded PSN, weathered being taken down by hackers and pushed a heavy focus on system pushing exclusives that would take the difficult hardware and deliver visual standards its more consistent rival would struggle to match at times. It was a recovery strategy that paid off, the system enjoying plenty Japanese content and a rolling success that didn't match its breakaway hit predecessors but would take it out of being the lowest performer of the generation by the end.

THE DEBATE
    This is an open ended discussion. A good leading point is to cast your vote then tell us why your chosen option was just that, but beyond that there's a lot to break the subject down into:

-What made X360/PS3 the better one?
    -Was Gears/Uncharted the best new ip choice?
    -Which online service was the better in each system?
    -Did you once think Microsoft would go on to the current generation dominating Sony?

Defend your Favourite - Defeat your Rivals

Almost impossible for me to choose one champion. Both brought different things to the table and like 99% of peeps here I had to have both. I still own both. X360 delivered some quality arcade thrills with Cave's shmups and XBLA. And it had by far the best Bayonetta. PS3 had the better exclusives (imo): MGS4, Demon's Souls, RR7, Uncharted 2, etc.

Comment

My two favourite game series are Metal Gear and XXXX Souls so my persona winning console is clear.
      Multi platform titles were almost universally better on 360.
      The PS3 hardware was more resilient than 360.
      360s online was better.
      PS3 played blu-rays.

Was a close call at the end of the lifecycle. PS3 ended up just about selling more units in the end I think but looking back I think it was a good battle.

Comment

I love games on both but, while some of my favourites were on 360 (Dead Rising, Gears of War), one factor tipped the balance very early on and it's something I never forgot: RRoD. The bottom line is that I couldn't trust my 360 not to die again. Once that trust was broken, my attention shifted to the PS3. Any multiformat games I bought on the PS3 from then on and so I played the 360 less and less.

But they both had fantastic games. It was a great generation.

Comment

For me, I came a little late to both of these, which was a blessing, I think, as I missed out on some early dross.
          For me the 360 is the hardware I'd go to to play something multiplatform, you only have to look at the Digital Foundry comparison of RDR to see that the 360 was much easier to get results from.

However, in terms of exclusives and overall experience, for me, the PS3 is the winner here. Apart from some great exclusives with Uncharted series and The Last Of Us looking jaw droppingly amazing, the Blu-ray (3d bd support too) and user experience was way better. When I used to power up my 360 to find full audio-visual British Gas adverts on my desktop in a loop - that I couldn't switch off - on a device that I paid for and had a subscription to Xbox live for, it massively sullied the whole console and so far, future Microsoft consoles for me, TBH.

Made me feel less of a valued customer and much more of a dumb consumer and nobody wants to feel that.
          Last edited by gunrock; 22-11-2018, 17:15.

Comment

360 all day long, so many good times online playing with loads of people who have sadly faded away now, really great nights and tons of laughs. chromehounds nights, team grawsome, rainbow 6, etc etc and many ive forgotton. Great times.

PS3 was great for yakuza, aquanauts holiday, rail fan, and gti club, cant think of much else.

Comment

Some favourite memories, me being mashed on home brew beer while playing team coop graw, and robster(I think?) ran past a gap in the wall, and I instantly shot him with my m60 (beast), restarted the game, and I did the same again. Another time we were all stuck on a map, and we came up with an idea to split the team in two, one group had long guns and went on a big hill, and the others had to dash in to capture or save someone. And capcom suicide was hiding by a wall, and could hear all these bodies drop around him as we picked them off.

My party trick of someone else range scoping the range of a clifftop lone soldier on operation flashpoint, and I'd snipe him from miles away with a proper cannon style shot.

Someone farted on the lobby of chromehounds, and I laughed so much I couldn't talk and missed the next game. I think it was prinny.

The time on online NHL hockey, when i when I was a total goon, and prinny and team juans spent the whole game penalty killing 4 on 5, and I came out the box twice and scored both times. Another time we had the full group with atticus, and we beat this team (our first win in ages) and it was the under 12s sheffield hockey club lol. Another game, I dropped the gloves from faceoff, everyone on our team thinking oh yeah here we go pebbles, what a knob. and I knocked the guy out with one punch and he rage quit lol.

My really weird looking blue oyster bloke on rainbow six vegas, and spags or tbm first saw me in the helicopter and didn't know what to say. Then me and Capcom, both had my trade mark shot guns with a sniper scope and all these ai baddies when sprinting past on the stairs, and we were blazing away like the warehouse scene on robocop.

The time me and Juans were up all night trying to beat general raam on gears of war on the toughest level, and finally beat him, both we actually died as we killed him, but thankfully counted.

On test drive unlimited, I found that people would sell cars online for their mates at like 20k on the marketplace, and if you refreshed constantly you could quickly pick them up. I told prinny about it, and I'd got like a ton of ferraris and all kinds, sold a load on, kept a load. he went on, saw one for cheap, bought it, went to the garage, and it was the base pontiac instead of a ferrari, and cost like 10k more than it said LOL
              Last edited by vanpeebles; 22-11-2018, 20:11.

Comment

The time prinny was playing undertow (that weird undersea shooter) and he was proper ranting and swearing like mad man. Like proper abuse down my ear hole. I took the headset off, went off made a cuppa, had a biscuit, came back, put the headset back on, and he was still swearing and ranting

Comment

Even though I bought both systems at launch it’s the 360 all the way for me.
                  I prefer the 360 controllers, loads of great shmups and XBLA made all the difference. As did the shmups. And Gears. And the shmups. And Halo. And there were some great shmups too.
                  Weirdly despite my launch model suffering the RRoD my early Japanese system is still going strong.

My PS3 was basically reduced to being a Folding@Home machine that played Blu-rays. Once the Folding program was dropped I sold the system. Did eventually buy another dirt cheap from a charity shop with Move controllers to play HOTD and Time Crisis. My launch system had poor WiFi and ended up being sent in for repair.

The PS3 was proper crazy Ken tech with the Cell processor which I wanted to see produce something new but I think MS made the right bet with a cracking GPU debuting unified shader and fast cache. We’ll likely never see their like again and that’s a shame.

Comment

The PS3 store utter crudix horrid to navigate, still is.

Ridge Racer 7 and bluray playback were sound tho.

Comment

Microsoft gave Sony a much needed pasting with the 360 and made me grateful there's competition in the gaming space. With that said I do prefer the PS3 just because it has a lot more JP exclusives. Plus online was free and the UI was clean and easy to navigate.

The store was trash though, absolutely horrific on PS3. It froze my system so many times.

I did think Microsoft were going into this gen really strong, up until they announced no used games and a staggered release schedule anyway.

Comment

Talking of cursing and swearing, I once went round to see Pebbles for a gaming mission.

His 360 pad looked like Edward Scissorhands had kicked off on it.

There were stab marks all over the front, the X had been pierced, the d-pad was flapping around arl owa, and there were teeth marks on the hand grips.

When I asked wtf was going on, he said he’d done some uber-mission on Godfather 2 which had skanked him at the last minute, and he’d brayed his pad all over in fury using a tin/bottle opener.

Comment

Oh god lol yes, that was the first godfather game, I needed the last achievement to get the full 1500/1500, and there was one where you had to capture all the rackets of one area, in under four hours or something. And I died in the last house, on the last boss with a minute to go.

Comment

Sony were super arrogant regarding ps3. Microsoft certainly put them in their place!

Comment

The PS3 will always be great to me for making region-free an expected feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X