Silver Screen Anticipation: Jan - Feb 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Screen Anticipation: Jan - Feb 2019

2019 is looking like another year that is setting its targets on breaking box office records. A massive slate of franchises are returning to the big screen in a full on competition for your money. Just like the gaming bi-monthly Anticipating threads, here we'll take a look at the upcoming releases in two month bursts and vote in favour of those we plan to go to see:

January 2019

11 January 2019 - Stan and Ollie
    John C Reilly and Steve Coogan star in this comedic drama that follows the vintage comedy classic pairing of Laurel and Hardy as they set out reuniting for a final stage tour, both bearing the weight of failing health and bitter disputes.

18 January 2019 - Glass
    Taking place after the events of Unbreakable and Split, this third film see's both narratives merge as the characters find themselves institutionalised together. Though still the weakest of the three, Mr Glass may have just found the key to his strength...

February 2019

01 February 2019 - How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World
    The animated fantasy franchise reaches its final instalment with this third film that see's Hiccup fully embracing the mantle of being his villages leader just as Toothless finds his loyalty being drawn away

08 February 2019 - Alita: Battle Angel
    When Alita, a cyborg, is found in a rubbish dump and reactivated she discovers that all her memories are gone. As she is restored she sets out to rediscover her past

08 February 2019 - The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
    Emmet is hard at work trying to set up his dream home whilst all around him the world has been ravaged by five years of devastating oppression from the invading Duplo forces. Though when Lucy is taken from him, Emmet is forced to step up once again.

14 February 2019 - Happy Death Day 2U
    Having survived the events of the first film, Tree re-enters the time loop in an effort to discover how it happened in the first place and in doing so resurrects Loki.

Of these key releases in January and February, which will you go to see?
    Stan and Ollie
    0%
    Glass
    0%
    How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World
    0%
    Alita: Battle Angel
    0%
    The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
    0%
    Happy Death Day 2U
    0%

When it comes to the films above, I'm interested in seeing all six but as far as cinema goes I think only one is likely to see me pay to see the big screen experience and that would be The Lego Movie 2. I hope they nail it with the new one, the spin offs were good fun but the original remains just that bit better.

I'm next most curious about Dragon but I don't feel enough pull to go and see it on Day 1. Alita - probably the most curious one there but the first real 'Bomb of 2019' contender also

Comment

I love Unbreakable, it's still one of the best superhero movies, IMHO.
      I really enjoyed Split too and was pretty excited by the last few minutes.
      I'm hope MNS can recapture the magic of his earlier films and do a great continuation of the great characters he's brought to life.

Alita could go either way, but I think it'll be like the live-action GitS movie in that it feels derivative because, ironically, the original inspired decades of other sci-fi stories.

Lego 2 is an obvious one, but I doubt they'll hit the heights of the original.

Comment

Working...
      X