No announcement yet.

PC power supply blown (second offense)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All wires connected? Do a close examination of all the caps too.

Comment

Well I left the original wires and just connected them to the new power supply. It's all so tidy in here but the downside to that is the mess that will be created by me replacing them but I might have to do that.

Edit: Okay, I have it. Cable to the motherboard needed to be replaced. If at all possible, I want to leave the other cables undisturbed but I'm having trouble locating the original CPU connection. If I plug the original cable back into my PSU but don't have it attached to anything on the other end, is that okay?
      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 30-11-2018, 10:54.

Comment

I’m assuming both are modular power supplies then.

You don’t know if the cables are the point of failure. I’d rip everything out and start over personally. It doesn’t take long to swap a PSU, hour tops. You can do it!

Comment

Uggghh... as mentioned above, I plugged the new cable to the motherboard and that got me power but when I plugged the others back in I get nothing.

Comment

I’d change the lot, sounds like a weakness in the cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Well I left the original wires and just connected them to the new power supply. It's all so tidy in here but the downside to that is the mess that will be created by me replacing them but I might have to do that.

Edit: Okay, I have it. Cable to the motherboard needed to be replaced. If at all possible, I want to leave the other cables undisturbed but I'm having trouble locating the original CPU connection. If I plug the original cable back into my PSU but don't have it attached to anything on the other end, is that okay?
              Using the same cables from another modula PSU is not a good idea - if they're the same manufacturer you *might* be okay, but the problem is the PSU end of the cables have no standards, so you cannot guarantee that the voltages you expect on the pins plugged into your motherboard or components are actually the voltages that are there: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...les-dont-do-it

As speedlolita suggests, use the cables that came with the PSU, even if that means you have to re-run your cable management.

Comment

Oh, I thought they were just standard cables. I ended up running out of work hours to try replacing the cables so have parked it for a bit and will come back to that and replace them all.

Thanks so much for all the advice, guys!

Comment

Update: the optical drive is either causing the problem or is at least related. Every cable replaced, if I plug the optical drive into the PSU it seems to stop everything working. Without it, everything works. No sign of life from the drive. Anyway, the drive isn't essential right now so I'm not too bothered by it. I just need to be sure everything else looks okay.

Comment

Sounds like there could be a short on it - some PSUs will protect against that and shutdown/won't start up.

Optical drives are cheap as, I'd use it as an opportunity to replace it with a BluRay burner

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Update: the optical drive is either causing the problem or is at least related. Every cable replaced, if I plug the optical drive into the PSU it seems to stop everything working. Without it, everything works. No sign of life from the drive. Anyway, the drive isn't essential right now so I'm not too bothered by it. I just need to be sure everything else looks okay.
                      Get rid You can get a USB one for peanuts these days. I have one for the occasional time I want to watch a DVD via the computer.

Comment

It was a pretty nice blu ray drive but, being honest, I barely used it. So yeah, I could just get a USB drive. Not sure yet.

Comment

I’ve used my blu drive a handful of times. I figured PC games might move to blu but I guess not!

Comment

I am now somewhat terrified of plugging anything in after this second offense. It is entirely possible that there is a wiring issue causing surges. The incidents were almost a year and a half apart but it's possible, right? I got a more heavy duty surge protector but have one of those big uninterruptible power supply units arriving on monday. On the suspicion that the room could be prone to surges, is there any other best practice to minimise the chances of this happening again or will that new unit tackle it? Like an startup order events? Not unplugging the system at all?

Comment

I'd say it's unlikely it's anything to do with the wiring in your house, you'd be seeing problems more often than a couple of years apart and that's more likely to be tripping out your RCD.

Surges or components going bad in the PSU are the more likely cause and there's not much you can do about mains surges, other than putting devices behind a UPS to regulate the power.

Comment

Working...
                              X