Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running PAL SNES games at 60hz - are lots of games optimised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running PAL SNES games at 60hz - are lots of games optimised?

SNES neophyte here, asking for a friend who’s picking up a Super NT.

What’s the story with running PAL carts at 60hz? Are lots of games optimised and will therefore run too fast, or are you basically fine to run them all at full speed by forcing 60 on the Super NT?

Any guidance much appreciated.

I think the only ones that were optimized were Super Mario world, and the Donkey Kong series which Rare coded to not boot up at 60hz. So just run them at 50.
    Also, any game with the sfx chip should need to be ran at 50 as the hardware isn't physically compatible with 60.
    At least that's how it was when I added a 50/60 switch on my snes. I'm not sure how the SNT handles things though.

Comment

I know Super Mario Kart is optimised for PAL, so runs too fast on a 60Hz machine. Also, Mario All-Stars and Yoshi's Island.

I don't think many PAL games were optimised, so most should run like NTSC games on an NTSC machine.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-11-2018, 11:32.

Comment

Thanks guys - just the main Nintendo tent poles then that need to be NTSC versions from the sound of it. Any one else got any optimised PAL titles that they know of?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Thanks guys - just the main Nintendo tent poles then that need to be NTSC versions from the sound of it.
          I did a bit of research. It looks like it's only Nintendo and RARE games that were optimised. I guess there might be a few from third parties, but maybe not. Most PAL games should act like NTSC games on NTSC hardware.

Comment

Killer Instinct on PAL was optimised. I used to have the USA version and when I played on my mates PAL version some of the combos didn’t work because you got pushed back too far, it was really strange. I seem to remember reading somewhere the way they optimised SNES PAL games back then was to skip some of the frames, or forcing it to run faster on a natively 50htz machine resulted in skipped frames.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              SNES neophyte here, asking for a friend who’s picking up a Super NT.

What’s the story with running PAL carts at 60hz? Are lots of games optimised and will therefore run too fast, or are you basically fine to run them all at full speed by forcing 60 on the Super NT?

Any guidance much appreciated.
              Depends on the developer Nintendo optimised almost all of their games for PAL, very badly, however, mainly characters like Link, Mario and Samus, Kirby had their walking speed increase and nothing else. Game like Mario Kart just had the timer adjusted for PAL with the rest of the game running at 50Hz. It's a royal mess and when that I would like to cover more if I can ever finished the Hz guides I'm already writing. Rare also would have optimised their games for PAL.

I know Megaman X according to The Cutting Room Floor had the credit roll adjust for PAL and nothing else. Capcom never optimised their games unless they had too. Some PAL titles like The Aquatic Games (James Pond crazy Sports on Snes) also run too fast on NTSC as the game was never optimised for 60Hz and was designed for 50Hz only.

Comment

Thanks guys. That's all really helpful information.

Comment

Working...
                X