Retro Arena: N64 Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Epic. Full of amazing moments and memories.
    Yeah, it really was an amazing game back in the day. I thought the whole design was full of charm and magic.

Pilotwings 64 - the Jp launch was so exciting, and I enjoyed Pilotwings 64 even more than Mario 64. Loved the islands, the missions, the characters, the controls, the happy vacation feeling. Beautiful game. A real one-off.
    Pilotwings 64 was another launch period game that showcased the good points of the tech. It was also really well-designed and kept me coming back for more and more. A great game to have alongside Mario 64 and Wave Race. What an awesome trio.

Blast Corps - what a great concept for a game ... and who doesn't love destroying stuff, drifting a truck through silos and farmhouses? It was presented wth a ton of character too, with fun vehicles and environments. Highly original. Rare were something else back then.
    Yeah, the concept felt really fresh and fun back in the day. Rare managed to combine a distinct concept with charming design to deliver something unforgettable. Rare really were flying high back then.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
    Wave Race always had blocky characters but the actual water looked gorgeous and still does.
    Yeah, you can see how funny the blocky characters look on the podium at the end of the game. But it doesn't matter at all when you're playing the game. I still love how each course has a distinct look and vibe.

I can't get into Blue Storm at all. It was the game I first bought with my Game Cube, and it is my most disappointing launch purchase of any console.
    I also bought it with my GameCube and felt quite disappointed. The visuals looked too clinical(sort of like a PC game) -- and there was something about the control that didn't feel as responsive. When I went back to it years later, I realised it's actually not too bad, but Wave Race 64 still easily beats it in all areas.

with WCW/NWO Revenge, for its fantastic Battle Royale mode.
    I know fans of wrestling really rate some of the wrestling games on the N64, but I've never played them. Wrestling games have never really grabbed me. Although, I did like WrestleFest in the arcades.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2018, 23:49.

Comment

My 3 favourites in 2018 are (with many being available on Xbox One so not listed here):

Ogre Battle 64 (Wii VC)
      Diddy Kong Racing (Wii Not64 Emu)
      Super Mario 64 (Wii VC).

Comment

Always disappointing that Custom Robo never features...

Comment

There's an awful lot to love there, though Banjo takes the top spot for me just edging out Mario 64

Comment

Mine would be ...

Pilotwings 64 - One of the best sequels ever made and possibly even better than the original game. Flying around the world back in the day was incredible and the game remains one of the best games ever made and a retro game, I still love to play one of twice a month to this very day.

GoldenEye While the multiplayer was fab, I liked the game for the single player mode more. Loved how you could watch the film and then see many parts of the film out straight in the game. The huge open levels was a revelation at the time and I loved how like VC, you had animation patters dependant on where you shot them, also it was one of the few N64 games to sound almost as good as a Saturn or PS game and shooting the guard in the back of the head, when he's on the toilet, never gets old.

Mario Kart 64 - My fav in the series, for starters the Karts actually look like proper Karting karts, loved the level design and the game came out when so many of my friends were still young, just starting work or in Uni/ Collage and where they was always a gang of mates to play a game with. I lost count, of the multi-player matches we had in this game

Comment

i think probably most of the first party N64 games were great, especially star fox, f zero, 1080 and waverace

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                Diddy Kong Racing (Wii Not64 Emu)
                I loved DKR back in the day. The way you have three different types of vehicles made it really interesting. The graphics and music were also top notch. I much preferred it over MK64.

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                Always disappointing that Custom Robo never features...
                I've never played it -- and I hardly ever see it being talked about. There are other good games I didn't include, but I think the list is decent enough.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                There's an awful lot to love there, though Banjo takes the top spot for me just edging out Mario 64
                Banjo really was something special back in the day. I remember thinking the graphics were stunning. It also played really well.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

Pilotwings 64 - One of the best sequels ever made and possibly even better than the original game.

Yeah, Nintendo delivered a truly great sequel that both showed off the tech and also delivered a really fun experience.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                GoldenEye also it was one of the few N64 games to sound almost as good as a Saturn or PS game and shooting the guard in the back of the head, when he's on the toilet, never gets old.

Yeah, the sound really boosted the atmosphere to make it feel very cinematic. The funny moments also helped to make it unforgettable.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                i think probably most of the first party N64 games were great, especially star fox, f zero, 1080 and waverace
                Yeah, I don't think Nintendo published a bad game for the system. The big hitters away from the launch period like Star Fox, F-Zero, 1080 etc... were top quality.

I think a N64 mini machine could just include Nintendo's first party games and most people would be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I've never played it -- and I hardly ever see it being talked about. There are other good games I didn't include, but I think the list is decent enough.
                  Such an underappreciated series...I should make some videos.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                    Such an underappreciated series...I should make some videos.
                    It's a shame it didn't get a release in the West. Looking at videos of it in action, I think it might have been welcomed by lots of gamers.

Comment

I was just remembering that it didn't even make it onto the Wii VC.

Comment

Zelda OoT
                        Goldeneye
                        Super Mario 64

Those are probably my top played games and ones I go back to frequently. There are so many great games for the system though so its hard to choose. Would also add Conkers bad fur day, turok and star wars shadow of the empire to that list as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                          Zelda OoT
                          Goldeneye
                          Super Mario 64
                          All groundbreaking classics. I have really fond memories of how special they were back in the day.

Would also add Conkers bad fur day, turok and star wars shadow of the empire to that list as well.
                          They'd definitely be nice inclusions on an N64 mini machine. I remember liking Turok, despite all the fog.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            They'd definitely be nice inclusions on an N64 mini machine. I remember liking Turok, despite all the fog.
                            Its funny, I actually prefer the fog in Turok as it adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Comment

The fog made it seem special, like the landscapes were so poly-dense it could only draw so much rock n' junglez before the fog prevented more being drawn.

Comment

Its funny, I actually prefer the fog in Turok as it adds to the atmosphere of the game.
                                Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                                The fog made it seem special,

The developer could have used the engine to create a horror game based on The Fog.

Comment

Working...
                                X