Retro|Spective 070: Xbox and Those We Left Behind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 070: Xbox and Those We Left Behind

Here we are, the final Retro|Spective of 2018 and this time we will be casting our eyes to a variety of games rather than a particular franchise or developer. The thing these games share in common is that they were notable releases for this platform when they came out for one reason or another but never managed to find life beyond this era. These are a selection of the games that were on Xbox.. and (if you set aside growing XBO support) were also left behind...

Entry 01 - Blinx: The Time Sweeper & Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space
    Other Formats:
    None
    As the new kid on the block Xbox was like any other platform, a system in search of a mascot. Master Chief was already shooting up Covenant forces but Microsoft was also keen to find a more child friendly face to put next to that green X and one of the contenders was Blinx. Armed with the power to affect time, Blinx sets out to correct glitches in time. Players can speed up, reverse and pause time as well as create a copy of Blinx. The sequel arrived two years later expanded the idea by adding a second character you could choose to play as but in both cases the games garnered average review scores and sales tapered off between instalments leading to the end of the franchise as quickly as it had emerged.

Entry 02 - Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions & Double STEAL: The Second Clash
    Other Formats:
    Playstation 2 and Gamecube (Original Game Only)
    Never known for being a heavy hitter release, the game attracted attention on its unveiling because a small developer had managed to create a visual showcase for the new system that looked far and beyond rival games via the use of various filters and effects. Working through missions, the player is tasked with defeating rival vehicles and beating the clock in a limited open world. Reviews were very mixed because of how limited the gameplay itself was and ports to rival systems failed to make an impact because they were so heavily compromised from the original version. A Japan only sequel made it out that is largely the same in terms of how it plays though once again it wasn't quite as strong a visual showcase either.

Entry 03 - Brute Force
    Other Formats:
    None
    Aimed to do for third person games on the Xbox what Halo had done for first person shooters, Brute Force was a big title for the platform. Four characters working as part of a squad led this sci-fi title with combat approachable from varying styles such as stealth or direct assault. The squad component meant co-op was a core part of the experience on offer also, though solo missions were also available. With hype levels so high it was expected that Brute Force was to be the next key Xbox franchise, on launch that hype translated to sales and the game outsold Halo but once in players hands complaints started to arise with disappointment coming from combat scenarios not being as distinct, character orientated and emergent as trailers had suggested. The shine very quickly vanished from the game and the developers were soon shuttered and folded into the wider company burying the ip.

Entry 04 - Midtown Madness 3
    Other Formats:
    None
    The franchise was already a running concern having existed happily on PC already and the third entry was seen as a common sense release for the Xbox. What made a lot less sense was the reveal that the game would come out but would forego a PC release altogether. In addition to this change it was also revealed that the game would see a change in developer and so scepticism quickly set in amongst fans. The end game was fairly well received but taking a successful series from one platform to another didn't pay off as Microsoft had hoped and so the curtain fell on the open world racer.

Entry 05 - Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
    Other Formats:
    None
    Another PC title to see its potential future moved over to the new console, Crimson Skies followed on from the original release by dialling back on customisation but expanding into a more open flight design. Set in an alternate world 1930's, players set out to seek revenge for the death of a friend in their plane. With a fairly arcade form of gameplay, the title also carried multiplayer support playable over Xbox Live and also twenty single player levels. It's critical reactions were very strong however sales proved to be very low.

Entry 06 - Breakdown
    Other Formats:
    None
    Namco released this Xbox exclusive that told its tale from a first person perspective. Using elements of first person lock on fist fighting, the game aimed to increase player immersion by having movements fully animated meaning interactions were fully animated rather than automated via the common 'floating head' method. The game pushed a sci-fi plot and due to this sense of narrative immersion it drew positive reviews however this didn't translate into sales success and it remains a one shot effort for Namco.

Entry 07 - GunValkyrie
    Other Formats:
    None
    Another third person shooter but this time from Sega with this effort that was carried over from its origins as a Dreamcast project. Battling insects on an alien world, the game utilised controls that were considered to be overly complex and that aspect dragged down the game from wider reveal right into its release. With ten levels, players would use their boosters to traverse the alien locations attempting to tackle enemies and bosses in an action game that was originally developed to utilise light gun support. The game received some critical support on its release but publicly it floundered and was quickly buried amongst the systems lineage.

Share your thoughts and memories on these Xbox era releases before pouring one out in their memory

Good list but Full Spectrum Warrior is notable by its absence!!!!! (PS2 did get both games but only Xbox did it justice).

Anyway, Crimson Skies was well cool. Spent many hours playing that one.

Comment

I’ve not played most of these as I’ve never owned an OG Xbox.

Brute Force kind of reminds me of an early PS2 game though, Eden I believe it was called. Again a squad based third person action game, and again there was a lot of hype that it failed to live up to. There was a lot of ambition around that kind of game during this gen that I don’t think was really properly fulfilled until the following gen with stuff like Gears.

I’d kind of like to try Blinx - I didn’t even know it had a sequel. How do they stand up today?

Comment

For me, the biggest contribution the Xbox made to gaming was broadening multiplayer gaming beyond its two pillar genres of the era - first-person shooters and real-time strategy games. MS's decision to launch Live with titles like Mechassault and MotoGP, and then follow those up with titles like Midtown Madness 3 was a big part of that.

Prior to that, even on PC, there were very few online games that weren't an FPS, RTS or the early MMORPGs (and the latter weren't that popular at this time). I believe the Xbox opened up multiplayer in the way we now see on Steam, where it's possible for so many genres to work and be popular.

However, once Halo 2 came along, FPSs really gained a foothold on console online multiplayer.

On the 360, Live felt a lot different. Given, we got a few genres working to a standard that hadn't really worked before (like fighting games - DOA2X on Xbox wasn't bad but the 360's fighters made big strides in this regard) but I think those third-person action games kinda died off.

I would've loved, for example, to have seen a Mechassault 3 or a Midtown Madness 4.

Comment

Yakuza Missions was eyes popping out on stalks at the time.

Comment

Was working at Game as a supervisor when the OG XB launched. My then girlfriend (and now ex-wife) asked for one for her 18th birthday and got one with Halo and DOA3.

Then, when MS dropped the price soon after launch we got a second pad with PGR and Amped as part of the "apology".

Big, heavy machine. Hideous controller. Needed a remote to play DVDs but they did look good.

I remember that our store manager lived in Southampton so a bunch of use took our consoles to his house on the train and played Halo via LAN in his lounge. That was a fun era.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

I remember that our store manager lived in Southampton so a bunch of use took our consoles to his house on the train and played Halo via LAN in his lounge. That was a fun era.
              That was the best fun to be had with the Xbox. I used to get my mates over, setup up three consoles in different rooms around the house with a hub and some long LAN cables. Split screen enabled 6 of us to play together but comms were only as advanced as shouting at each other! Add in a few beers and many good nights were had.

Interesting list of games in the opening post. I really enjoyed Blinx, lots of ex Sega devs behind it but that arguably put too much attention on it and chat of it being a Xbox mascot etc didn’t help. And the sequel wasn’t quite as focused and felt a bit loose. Technically impressive to be fair.

Wreckless was shallow but good fun in small doses and did look stunning. It was very impressive altering the filters on the fly.

Brute Force was cack and had that typical for the era shiny PC graphics look which was a tired look even then.

Gun Valkyrie was a game on the cusp of greatness marred by slightly wonky controls. A refined follow up could have been sensational.

Comment

Blinx - Good graphics but the gameplay didn't grab me. It felt quite fiddly.

Wreckless - Really nice graphics, but felt too clunky. I have the sequel and it feels a bit nicer to play.

Midtown Madness 3 - It offered quite a bit of fun online, so I enjoyed it for a while before getting heavily into PGR2.

Crimson Skies - Stunning game in all areas -- it's an Xbox game that still impresses me.

Gunvalkyrie - Another Sega game that really showed off the Xbox. The gameplay is a bit fiddly, but once you're used to it, it's a fun game.

Comment

Midtown Madness 3 was wicked fun online.

I remember playing tag with buses once. Someone tagged me near a dead and then waited patiently for me to complete a 20-point turn before chasing them

Comment

The Xbox is one of those consoles that I have a streak of nostalgia about but when you cast your eye across its wares there's not much that remained exclusive to it that would warrant having a unit plugged up. Blinx was always a curious one, ambitious in its design intentions but the execution just wasn't there.

Wreckless had a DeLorean so that was me sold. Still can't get my head around how bad the ports were but also that the original game was able to look the way it did given how it came to be, I tried the sequel but it isn't as good.

MM3 and Crimson were decent fun, a shame they never got follow ups to refine where they were going.

As for Full Spectrum Warrior, that one's missing because it'll be getting its own thread in time

Comment

The 3rd best console I ever owned. I remember how I had to be talked into getting the launch USA model by Hartly Hare, Goldsmith, Big EDD and Philly H (originally I was going to wait until JSRF shipped) because HALO was so good.

When I 1st got HALO and the console, I was slightly disappointed that HALO 1st level was so crap and looked a step down from Star Wars RS on the Cube, but my GOD as soon as you laned on the Planet the game just took off and I was in awe of the size of the world, the gfx , the stunning use of 5.1 and more so the incredible AI. I then put in Dead Or Alive 3 and couldn't believe the visuals, it was like you expected a SEGA new Model 4 game to look like and being able to play PGR with my custom soundtracks was also so amazing at the time too.

Anyway I loved BLiNX and never got the hate it got. It was a great game, that felt a lot like NiGHTS (no shock given the staff and SEGA even did the music) The GFX were brilliant too and so much more could have been made with the concept.

Breakdown was just so much fun and well made it looked almost as good as Doom 3 and had a wicked soundtrack to boot, MM III was my 1st LIVE game and was total fun and Crimson Skies just played like a dream and controlled so well.

GunValkrie was a brilliant but flawed game with poor controls and where the game was too short. Such a shame SEGA never made a sequel with a control input, double the stages and LIVE online co-op. Love the music to this game too (SEGA used to have the music studio going, back inthe day)

Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-12-2018, 08:53.

Comment

I also think that the Xbox UI was the last one that I really liked

Comment

Clue for next years opening thread: Lean green fighting machines

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            but my GOD as soon as you laned on the Planet the game just took off and I was in awe of the size of the world,
                            It was sort of like the first time I played Astro Bot -- the open world with crafts flying around the sky was stunning. It really was a groundbreaking game. Everything about it was special -- including the haunting music.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            I then put in Dead Or Alive 3 and couldn't believe the visuals, it was like you expected a SEGA new Model 4 game to look like
                            It's the sort of game that makes you call your friends and family to show them how amazing the graphics are. Definitely another highlight from the launch period.

I was very much obsessed with the Xbox back in those days. The PS2 gathered quite a bit of dust -- and the GameCube only grabbed my attention now and then. The Xbox is easily my favourite console from that generation, partly because Xbox Live gaming was so fresh and addictive.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-12-2018, 10:27.

Comment

This thread needs more Metal Wolf Chaos!

Xbox was cool, but it was Heeeuuuge.

Not enough unique games or difference between this and the PS2 to make me cross over.

360 was a completely different story.

Comment

Working...
                              X