Panzer Dragoon 1&2 Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    @TA It doesn't work like that. The timings used in Saga on Saturn would be useless on a modern console for starters and no one is going to read Super-H assembly language to work out AI routines, of which there would be none anyway on a game that old. There was no AI back then. In fact there's no AI in games today, it's just state machines I imagine.
    Saturn development was often a mix of assembly and C. Timings in games can be either tied to hardware framerate or they can use times from a clock source in the hardware to determine intervals. E.g. if your game logic is tied to framerate, you would perform some function (like an enemy firing) every n frames. If your game logic is framerate independent, you perform some function (enemy firing) even n milliseconds. Tying events to framerate is usually frowned upon these days as it isn't a good fit for multi-platform development where framerates differ across different platforms. Framerate independence means that events are guaranteed to happen at the same time regardless of framerate.

You're right about the term AI when used in games though. It has very little do with the actual domain of artificial intelligence. AI in games is more like a big decision tree, whereas AI in the scientific domain is more about systems that are capable of learning, e.g. training a computer model that can make decisions and predictions. The only real AI being used in games at the moment is with the automatic generation of textures such as what NVIDIA are doing with their latest GPUs.
    Last edited by bcass; 30-09-2020, 07:11.

Comment

Also, I played the PC version of this PD remake, and think they did a really good job considering it was obviously done by a small studio and is pure fan-service. It's a bit bare bones, but I think it looks and plays nice. I'd rather play this than the original Saturn version. I believe the studio have already confirmed that they are remaking Zwei, which is the better game. I'd be happy to pay for any other Saturn remakes this studio releases.

Comment

I captured the first level on PC.

Comment

The PS4 version arrived a couple of days ago too. It’s £19.99 so I’m going to give it a punt. Hopefully it’s full 4k on the Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            The PS4 version arrived a couple of days ago too. It’s £19.99 so I’m going to give it a punt. Hopefully it’s full 4k on the Pro.
            Its crap Craig mate, I really wouldn't waste your money

Comment

If the bloke who made the original is saying it, then it's likely true, Craig.

It doesn't look BAD...it just doesn't look RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                I captured the first level on PC.

Bloody hell, the sound effects sound like crap and the music is way too low. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Its crap Craig mate, I really wouldn't waste your money
                  Damn I’ve already bought it. Haven’t fired it up though as the 4Pro has been packed away for moving. I’ll find out in a few weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    Damn I’ve already bought it. Haven’t fired it up though as the 4Pro has been packed away for moving. I’ll find out in a few weeks...
                    Well maybe it's better on the PS4, But the Stadium version was pants

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Bloody hell, the sound effects sound like crap and the music is way too low. Sad.
                      You can adjust the sound levels in the options. I just went with default which did sound crap I agree. The FX just sounded tinny.

Also an option to play the Original Soundtrack rather than the updated one in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                        You can adjust the sound levels in the options. I just went with default which did sound crap I agree. The FX just sounded tinny.

Also an option to play the Original Soundtrack rather than the updated one in the video.
                        It wasn't just that the sound effects were tinny but they were so wrong. It is good to know the audio ballance can be changed. Not sure why they made a new soundtrack though. The original is perfect.

Comment

So....are we saying that the emulated PC version on the already emulated PANZER DRAGOON ORTA on the Xbox One is the bestest version of all...at least for now...on current, HDMI-centred consoles?

I'm hoping so cos I can't be ****in arsed forking out for it a third time, espesh if it's *wrong*.

Comment

I really like the remake and, with one exception (some parts where visibility is an issue), any area it falls down on for me was present in the original. That said, it’s important to note that the game had to be patched several time’s before I could say that. It just didn’t seem ready on release but the game is hugely improved now and I think, overall, it’s what I’d expect. Like I said before, I think Zwei is simple a much better game but if we get a Zwei remake at this quality I’ll be happy with it.

Edit: for total clarity, when I say I really like it, I still don’t think it’s a superb game or superb remake. But I really like it.
                            Last edited by Dogg Thang; 02-10-2020, 06:55.

Comment

I think they've done an admirable job with it, certainly better than Robomodo did with their THPS Frankenstein's abortion. It certainly looks slick and playable.

Just not *right*. You know one gets more anal and particular about certain things as one heads into their mid-forties? I reckon hard-core DRAGOON fans are as bad as that.

I'm kinda one of those. But if they remade Zwei in the same way, I'd buy it in a sale, deffo have it over nothing, I'd probably enjoy it.

I'd still be moaning at the back of my mind but my mind really bloody doesn't shut up. And a lot of the time it's just bluster. I can settle for choc if there's no tangies. I just have a mini-inner tantrum, get over it quick, eat the choc, pleasantly enjoy.

I don't reckon these guys could ever win but I'm guessing at least that if they remade Zwei, they'll have been bombarded by so much moaning from moaning old bastards like me then it would likely be MUCH closer to the original source.

It would likely be a better game and there would likely be less moaning from miserable old bastards with saggy balls and greying pubes.

Logic = Happiness.

Comment

It's like...I passed up that PANG rebooty thing for pennies in a sale months back. Yeah, turned it down.

Primarily because I thought the graphics looked a bit like clipart, a bit like iPhone, a bit like ANGRY BIRDS, a bit like CANDY CRUSH. Such snobbery.

And ten minutes back I suddenly fancy me some PANG and I hear that rebooty thing is actually a really fun PANG game and I'm now considering crying myself to some semblance of sanity amidst a small tor of crusted wanksocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X