Panzer Dragoon 1&2 Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Would anyone use the source code of a Saturn game as the basis for a remake anyway? Would it not all be in platform specific assembly language? You can’t easily port that to x86
    At least if the code was available it would be easier to discern how the original game worked so a new version would be faithful to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      At least if the code was available it would be easier to discern how the original game worked so a new version would be faithful to the original.
      That would seem more important to the first two games and, even then, what Brad says seems right to my (totally uninformed) mind. Changes in the feel, enemy timing and so on could drastically change Panzer Dragoon Zwei, for example. But Saga has turn-based combat, fairly rudimentary movement and so on and it would seem natural to be effectively rebuilt in this day and age. But like I say, my view is totally uninformed because I genuinely don't know what it takes to convert a game.

Comment

Yeah, I feel like you remake Saga by playing Saga and making notes and then tweaking it later. You'd write it in C or C++ these days probably. I'm guessing there wasn't a good enough C compiler that targeted Saturn hardware back then but I might be wrong (would be unusual though; most games would be hitting the hardware).

Comment

Or do a Nintendo and slap a Saturn emulator and a rom of Saga off the net onto a disc

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Please don't be Switch. We need this done right with full on HD graphics. The games deserve to look absolutely stunning. If you've seen Orta running on the Xbox One X in Back Comparability mode you'll know what I mean. That looks amazing so just imagine how great the others will look if done right.
            I'm not saying it shouldn't be one Switch but that should not be the lead platform .
            Yeah its the last think we need, to be held back buy crap hardware. Mind you given this is SEGA I kind of expect it

Comment

Would anyone use the source code of a Saturn game as the basis for a remake anyway? Would it not all be in platform specific assembly language? You can’t easily port that to x86
              The Source code makes it so much easier for developers not to have to worry about timing and how the AI in the game works. Which if you want to stay 100% to the original in gameplay terms, is vitally important.

One can hope this is was SEGA is doing and with a Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy style graphical upgrade, but this is SEGA so it may be done on the cheap

Comment

@TA It doesn't work like that. The timings used in Saga on Saturn would be useless on a modern console for starters and no one is going to read Super-H assembly language to work out AI routines, of which there would be none anyway on a game that old. There was no AI back then. In fact there's no AI in games today, it's just state machines I imagine.

Comment

@TA It doesn't work like that. The timings used in Saga on Saturn would be useless on a modern console for starters and no one is going to read Super-H assembly language to work out AI routines, of which there would be none anyway on a game that old. There was no AI back then. In fact there's no AI in games today, it's just state machines I imagine.
                  Its all about the time and the patterns and source code, just makes the job so much easier I would imagine. I gather the team that remade Phantom Dust didn't use source code and it was a complete nightmare for the team to try and work out all the games patterns

Not getting the AI right or whatever one wants to call it, is was killed the remakes of Daytona USA on both the Saturn and Daytona USA on the DC for me. It needs to be spot on for me, or don't go near classic IP.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    Its all about the time and the patterns and source code, just makes the job so much easier I would imagine. I gather the team that remade Phantom Dust didn't use source code and it was a complete nightmare for the team to try and work out all the games patterns

Not getting the AI right or whatever one wants to call it, is was killed the remakes of Daytona USA on both the Saturn and Daytona USA on the DC for me. It needs to be spot on for me, or don't go near classic IP.
                    I agree with your sentiments entirely, and the game should probably be left alone. I'm just saying I seriously doubt that poring over assembly language code written for a platform that had 8 processors, some of them custom, that developers relished hitting the hardware with would help anyone produce a modern variant of Panzer Dragoon Saga. A reimagining of the game would be the way to approach it I think, if it were to be taken on at all.

EDIT: I haven't made a game since I was about 15 so the above is just opinion and I'm prepared to be schooled by a modern game developer!
                    Last edited by Brad; 11-12-2018, 10:54.

Comment

I agree with your sentiments entirely, and the game should probably be left alone. I'm just saying I seriously doubt that poring over assembly language code written for a platform that had 8 processors, some of them custom, that developers relished hitting the hardware with would help anyone produce a modern variant of Panzer Dragoon Saga. A reimagining of the game would be the way to approach it I think, if it were to be taken on at all.
                      Then don't go near the project. I would imagine having the soruce code makes it far eaiser to work out how the game controls and plays, compared to just watched videos. I want it spot on or don't even go near it. SEGA screwed up a few remakes (Daytona) or remasters (Shenmue) and it be nice to at least get this one right and spot on.

Comment

I think if it was little more than improved models and high res textures, this would be considered janky in this day and age. If it's more than that, it will require deviating from the source code.

I remember even when Wipeout went to PSP, the handling was changed and it was a whole new engine. When the team talked about this (and why the sizes of classic tracks had changed), they said that they didn't have access to the PS1 source code if I remember correctly. But their main point is that it would have been of limited value if they'd had it. How handling worked in code had already changed and the workings of the original was obsolete to a point where they couldn't have used a lot of it and stuff they could have retained probably would have felt old and janky on more modern systems even though it's what we loved originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          I think if it was little more than improved models and high res textures, this would be considered janky in this day and age. If it's more than that, it will require deviating from the source code.
                          Not really. Panzer Dragoon on the PS2 was rather good and so were some of the SEGA Ages line like Die Hard Arcade. The Halo 2 remaster was amazing and played just the like the OG orginal and I would imagine having full acess to the soruce code helped with that remaster.

Comment

I'm not worried about Zwei being updated because that is a Saturn exclusive however the first Panzer Dragoon game is on many formats and they're all crap besides the PS2 remake by M2. But even that has issues that the Saturn game doesn't. The remake needs to be based upon the Saturn game code then covered in a new coat of glossy wonderment

Comment

Panzer Dragoon: Remake was released for PC (Steam) yesterday.

Had a quick play - runs like a dream but sadly locked at 60 fps.

Comment

All I want is ZWEI. And not with different-looking visuals. Just a smooth n' sharp ZWEI.

Jaz is correct about ORTA, gaming craftsmanship at its finest. And an OK version of the original included, as a bonus. With the authentic look.

All I want is ZWEI, now. Not even SAGA.

SAGA is very overrated, one only needs to play it once to exhaust its exquisitely sweet tanginess.

But it's a one-off deal. ZWEI is the gift that just keeps on giving. Quite absurd it's never been given a second shot!

I've been longing to play it since I traded in my PAL SS and games against a PAL PS2 back in 2001. It's one of the VERY few games I feel made a truly intense impression on my life. Like a great, fiery, intense bird with globulous knockaaaaz.

Comment

Working...
                                X