Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming Mandela Effects?

Anyone got any of these?

To clarify, The Mandela Effect is a term describing a phenomenon about the fallibility of human collective memory.

An example often quoted is that there's an American series of children's books called The Berenstein Bears, except it's not - it's Berenstain, but most Americans will apparently swear blindly that it used the former spelling when they were kids (it has always been the latter).

I ask because I had one come up this week: Zone of the Enders. I would've sworn that whilst it is often called "Zone of the Enders" it's actually written "Zone of Enders", without the "the" - hence the abbreviation "ZoE".

Yeah i thought secret of mana was actually good but then i replayed it on snes mini & found it was a pile of shat. Could have sworn it was good when i played it as a kid lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Anyone got any of these?

To clarify, The Mandela Effect is a term describing a phenomenon about the fallibility of human collective memory.

An example often quoted is that there's an American series of children's books called The Berenstein Bears, except it's not - it's Berenstain, but most Americans will apparently swear blindly that it used the former spelling when they were kids (it has always been the latter).

I ask because I had one come up this week: Zone of the Enders. I would've sworn that whilst it is often called "Zone of the Enders" it's actually written "Zone of Enders", without the "the" - hence the abbreviation "ZoE".
      Heh, I have it as Zone of the Enders in my sale thread Never noticed before.

I guess Alex the Kidd is another one when it's actually just Alex Kidd.

-edit-
      I think I misread the above lol. Ah well.
      Last edited by Cepp; 10-12-2018, 22:38.

Comment

This falls apart when you realise that Zone of the Enders IS

Zone of THE enders

Last edited by EvilBoris; 10-12-2018, 21:29.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post

Zone of THE enders

https://www.konami.com/games/us/en/products/zoe_mars/
          Well yeah, it's just my memory. Like I said, I think it's for a few reasons:

It's often abbreviated to ZoE.
          The Japanese cover for the first game has huge "Z.O.E." letters on it.
          If you google +"Zone of Enders" it seems like it was a reasonably widespread mistake.

I probably saw it written this way somewhere and it stuck. Years ago, a friend and I had a weird one where we were both convinced we'd seen a UK version of "Grandia X", too, with a red cover... But the game was called Grandia Xtreme and never got a UK release.

Comment

Recently I saw someone who was having a minor freak out upon realising that it was Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition rather than Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition, and had been calling it the wrong thing for 25+ years.

Comment

Zone of THE enders

Mind BLOWN!

All these years I've been getting this name wrong, but I just checked:

Comment

I've never liked the name of this phenomenon because I have never met anyone who thought Mandela was dead when this was named and it strikes me that it just means they are horrifically uninformed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I've never liked the name of this phenomenon because I have never met anyone who thought Mandela was dead when this was named and it strikes me that it just means they are horrifically uninformed.

You know he has been dead for like 5 years right?

Comment

Yep. But this was named when he was very much alive on the premise that large numbers of people thought he had died in jail decades ago.

Comment

He's not dead!
                      That's the whole point!
                      You think you heard he died, but he hasn't.
                      Any news articles you read about his death are factually incorrect and the writer is just suffering from the Mandela Effect.

Comment

According to the song, people in Essex think there are three of him anyway.

Comment

I'm suffering from the Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Anyone got any of these?
                            Been watching too much AVGN, haven't you, uh?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              He's not dead!
                              That's the whole point!
                              You think you heard he died, but he hasn't.
                              Any news articles you read about his death are factually incorrect and the writer is just suffering from the Mandela Effect.
                              I call it the Elvis or Tupac effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X