Retro Arena: Master System Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I've added 3 games to the list: Space Harrier; The Ninja; Castle of Ilusion.

Maybe Sega will take note and create a Master System Mini.
    its called a game gear lol

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      its called a game gear lol
      Yeah, that's what it was. My brother had a Game Gear and I remember liking some of the games, such as GG Shinobi and Slider/Sweek. I remember a few of my mates also had one. I think Sega sold quite a few, despite the Game Boy dominating.

Comment

I loved my Game Gear. I think it was the first console I ever bought. I was in my local indie (Chips in Boro) looking at the Amiga games and I clocked it when it was new in. I bought one with 4 games and remember playing Castle of Illusion and Shinobi loads ... both absolutely class.

Comment

SMS1 is clearly superior but I always played on the SMS2 as a kid as that was what my friends had in the early to mid 90s.

I do actually like the viser and I'm fond enough of the SMS2 overall but if I could pick and choose it would always be the SMS1.

I still remember the moment I figured out Ninja Gaiden and Shadow Warrior were from the same series after playing both and cross referencing the small print on each box. Thought I was a right little detective lol.

Still not sure how Tecmo got away with keeping the name the same on SMS tbh. Perhaps the rules were relaxed by the time of it's release.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            but I always played on the SMS2 as a kid as that was what my friends had in the early to mid 90s.
            I remember loads of kids had the MK2 machine in the early-90s. I think it was pretty cheap, so it kept the machine going for longer than you'd expect.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            Still not sure how Tecmo got away with keeping the name the same on SMS tbh. Perhaps the rules were relaxed by the time of it's release.
            Yeah, I think the rules were relaxed at that time. They could have called it 'Hero Gaiden', like Ninja Turtles was changed to Hero Turtles.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-12-2018, 17:58.

Comment

My favourite Master System memories are easy for me. The year I got my system I had an NES on 'layaway' at the local computer shop and my mum was paying it off in instalments, we were never a family with money when I was a kid so these were the kind of things that were just common practice. Then one day I saw the Master System advertised in a magazine and my jaw just hit the floor. It looked incredibly sleek and cool in comparison to the boxy NES, and not only that it had all the awesome arcade games I would play on the occasions we would go to the nearby seaside town, I had to have one! So I went to the computer shop to ask if they could get me the SEGA instead but they gave me a flat no, but to be fair to them they gave my mum the money back she'd paid so far. So like TA, I ended up getting my system from the catalogue, and it was the same Hang On pack. I remember that even when I wasn't playing it I'd just sit staring at the box as I loved the design of all the packaging so much, and still do to this day. (A while back I sought out and found a mint boxed Hang On system again, though sold as I no longer want to own retro stuff)

My favourite naughty memory of the system is one year I had asked for the game Kenseiden for Christmas. There was something about that title that just had me desperate to play it, and the sight of it sitting wrapped under the tree became too much. My mum went for a trip out and I gently peeled all the tape off the package, slid the box out and switched the cart inside out for a game I already had. Just before Christmas I pulled off the mission again, switching the Kenseiden cart back in to its nicely wrapped package, but cheeky little monkey I was, I'd already completed it!

I absolutely loved it as a system, seeking out other people to do loans of games with as they were expensive for a kid without a job. though when I then moved in to importing with the PCE and MD it had to be sold to fund future purchases. Loving the memories this thread is bringing back though! Unlike some have mentioned the NES was never really a thing round where I lived, but eventually tons of folk had the MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                Hahaha, oh man they were the days. Being able to use the big TV. I remember my dad blaming me for braking the TV because i plunged my Master System in to it. I normally had to play on a crappy 14" Ferguson portable via RF. I remember actually beating the original Wonderboy while playing on the TV in my mum and dads room. I never had my own TV back then. Talking of which,my first TV was a ITT with a scart socket and a plastic sheet in front of the screen to make it look more square. IN fact, it was this one.

Check out that bad boy. 3 scart sockets!!!
                The fab days when one was allowed to play consoles on the BIG tv downstairs. I still remember a couple of mates coming to my house to play Wonderboy on the MS and then showing off, in the local chippy Arcade version of Wonderboy (it was so close)

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  I no longer want to own retro stuff
                  I blame the Raspberry Pi.

but cheeky little monkey I was, I'd already completed it!

Unlike some have mentioned the NES was never really a thing round where I lived, but eventually tons of folk had the MS.
                  I remember everyone buying the Master System in 1987-1988. Then around 1989-1990, I noticed that more and more people had a NES. It definitely took a while for the NES to get recognition in the UK, but it was never a big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    I didn't know Nokia had made TVs. 3 Scart sockets is awesome -- I wonder if any of them were wired for RGB? I remember a lot of TVs didn't have RGB Scart, so you had to investigate which ones did. That's how I ended up with a Sony, because they made sure the Scart socket(s) were RGB by the early-90s.
                    Only one was pal RGB from what I remember. They other two were basically composite. If I recall correctly two sockets would accept an NTSC signal while one wouldn't but one was only compatable with PAL RGB. I found this out after getting a Japanese Mega Drive in 1989 after my PAL one died after 3 months of use.

Comment

Up till xmas 1990 my home system was an Amstrad CPC 464 but felt the need for console time so started pestering my parents for a master system, but being a spoilt little arsehole I ONLY wanted the deluxe set - hang on/safari hunt built in, phaser and 2 pads. On the lead up to xmas that year I was getting increasingly frustrated that my parents kept telling me it was too expensive, which culminated in little lord fontleroy (me) screaming the house down, getting under the dining room table and locking all chairs in around me like a fortress with my feet and arms until they promises to by me one.....they didnt relent and good on them, my mum even took a photo of me under there which im desperate to find.

Of course they had already bought it.

It was amazing, everything I had wished for. Soon got a Samsung 14" with a scart socket to enjoy 50hz rgb hehe, had to turn the brightness to zero as otherwise the picture was a supernova white mess. Glory days.
                      Last edited by Baseley09; 15-12-2018, 20:08.

Comment

My favourite Master System memories are easy for me. The year I got my system I had an NES on 'layaway' at the local computer shop and my mum was paying it off in instalments, we were never a family with money when I was a kid so these were the kind of things that were just common practice. Then one day I saw the Master System advertised in a magazine and my jaw just hit the floor. It looked incredibly sleek and cool in comparison to the boxy NES, and not only that it had all the awesome arcade games I would play on the occasions we would go to the nearby seaside town, I had to have one! So I went to the computer shop to ask if they could get me the SEGA instead but they gave me a flat no, but to be fair to them they gave my mum the money back she'd paid so far. So like TA, I ended up getting my system from the catalogue, and it was the same Hang On pack. I remember that even when I wasn't playing it I'd just sit staring at the box as I loved the design of all the packaging so much, and still do to this day. (A while back I sought out and found a mint boxed Hang On system again, though sold as I no longer want to own retro stuff)

My favourite naughty memory of the system is one year I had asked for the game Kenseiden for Christmas. There was something about that title that just had me desperate to play it, and the sight of it sitting wrapped under the tree became too much. My mum went for a trip out and I gently peeled all the tape off the package, slid the box out and switched the cart inside out for a game I already had. Just before Christmas I pulled off the mission again, switching the Kenseiden cart back in to its nicely wrapped package, but cheeky little monkey I was, I'd already completed it!
                        Haha. My mum laid down the law and me and my brother wasn't to play the Master system until Christmas day.. (even the trick of needed to play it to see if it worked didn't go with mum) Mum just allowed me to keep the game manuals before see wrapped up the Master system and the 4 games I had with it. So on Christmas Eve I spend the night reading the manuals to the likes of Wonderboy, Space Harrier, Outrun and After Burner from cover to back and simply couldn't wait until Christmas day to play the games..;.

I ever planned the ordr I would play the games in on Christmas Eve (did the same for Mega Drive Christmas day) and the order was Hang-On, Space Harrier, Outrun, AB and then the Big one for me Wonderboy - Which was my fav Arcade game in the local chippy at the time

MY huge regret to this day is not keeping the box the Master system came in. I didn't start keeping the boxes of the consoles until the MD era and so wish I didn't throw the MS box out, there is something so wonderful about the MS Box and games art
                        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 15-12-2018, 11:42.

Comment

Ah the Master System, I’ve got so many fond memories of the system. But in actual fact I wanted a ZX Spectrum the most, I remember burning holes from my eyes into the Toys R Us catalogue at the Spectrum with the datacorder. So instead of going to Toys R Us my folks sourced a Spectrum in the Free Ads located in Cardiff. So we went to pick it up and couldn’t find the house so my Dad flew into a rage and sacked off the entire mission. I’ve still got images of the guy sat there still waiting for us to turn up.

So this little boy was crestfallen and had given up hope on a Spectrum. That’s when I saw the Master System and decided I wanted that instead. We took no chances this time and went straight to Toys R Us for it. We picked up the bundle with the Light Phaser, with built in Hang-On and Safari Hunt. I also had Transbot on card (it was terrible even then) I remember hooking it up to the telly downstairs and being blown away by Hang-On. Even my Mum loved it and could easily finish Safari Hunt. I eventually amassed 17 games for it and sold it to a mate in college. I had a bit of a revival with it when I bought an MD Mega Adaptor with some Mark III games later on but they are long gone too.

It’s still an awesome system that I like going back to, the nostalgia still kicks me in the feels to this day.

Comment

This reminds me of a friend getting The Dizzy Collection for the C64 one Christmas. Nothing was sealed back then as they kept the games behind the counter, so he just switched the cassettes when his mum wasn't looking. His parents probably never looked inside it, so we spent the run up to Christmas sat is his bedroom playing the games, whilst the box and a few budget games he didn't want anymore were wrapped up under the tree.

Comment

I seem to remember Master System games having that blue sticker that acted as a warranty device, kinda like a precursor to those god awful Game stickers. It's the closest we got to sealed games.

Comment

I still have my boxed Master System, light gun pack, and I got Outrun, and Fantasy Zone at the same for Christmas. I can still remember my Granda and Uncle playing Outrun, and my Uncle who was a speccy legend, enjoying the boss battles on Fantasy Zone. Great memories, wondeful machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X