Pacman quarter arcade replica review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacman quarter arcade replica review.

Let's get this out the way first, yeah it's £149. And yes i know raspberry pi's and mame exist.

But what does one get for such a pricy price point that will scare away all but the most determined collectors of gaming tat in picking one up. In fact scratch that, tat is not a word i'd ever use on this thing it screams quality the minute you liberate it from it's box no tat to be found here. Officially licensed by ban-nam & limited to 10,000, it's a beautifully made replica.

Numskull have done a stellar job of shrinking down a pacman arcade machine, not entirely convinced they haven't just got a shrink ray and are miniturizing real pacman arcades & slapping them in a box. Standing 17" high and the cabinet is made from wood, the artwork is wonderfully replicated. The joystick is a gated 4 way one and it has a pleasing microswitch click when moving it yeah the original arcade stick doesnt click but at the size it is the click is welcomed to let me know i pressed it as the travel is quite small, however despite it's size pacman is totally playable using the tiny stick which is a good job as that's all you are getting. In the prototypes they sent out to the youtube "lol cough influencers" there were scaling issues noted but they were thankfully all fixed for the final release & are now the correct size the game runs just how it should and it's using the arcade rom, not sure if it will crash at level 256 like the real arcade version or that has been fixed. Not that i have the skill to ever see that myself. It's got a built in battery which is rechargeable via micro usb & lasts about 4 hours, did have an initial charge out the box but have now put mine on to fully recharge before i hammer it with a play session.

The shipping box is quite nice all in itself, the machine inside was well protected with foam. I absolutely love the pacman art.

In all it's glory let the pics commence

Fully replicated screen art and has a screen bezel which the replicade arcades do not. The screen is LCD and in person the viewing angle straight on is good there is no light grey image fading however on my phone i couldn't get a decent pic to show that as my phone made it look really light at the sides. Also the marquee lights up which you would expect, the lighting does not overpower the art it has a nice warm glow.

lets give a moment to the fact they replicated the textured control panel plastic, details like this are impressive along with adding a dust ring to the joystick to keep crud out of the base.

Also comes with a nice pacman commerative coin along with a pleasingly thick numbered certificate of authenticity with your machine number. Not that i can see millions of fakes of these flooding the market lol

All in all i love it, the thing is an extremely well made collectible which is fully functional. Will be picking up the other 3 machines as & when they drop next year. They are a nice thing to go along with the replicade arcade machines & the teeny tiny tiny arcade keychains. In fact look how tiny it is against one hehe.

"don't talk to me or my son ever again"
    Last edited by importaku; 13-12-2018, 22:46.

Very nice! I appreciate the quality of the pics you posted too.

Comment

I love these!

Why is it "collectors edition"? Just the certificate and coin?

I stumbled across this the other day...

Comment

Think it's the limited run of 10,000 worldwide that makes it collectors edition. Think the coin & certificate are just nice extras to put in the box.

It's going to be a hard sell at the £150 pricepoint but you are getting the quality you pay for, the only thng that could have improved it is an oled display but that would have pushed the price even higher. Currently it's beautiful & fully functional, the only other thing i would have loved to see would be a mini booklet with a bit of the history of the arcade machine in question.

Comment

The Nintendo, Neo Geo and PS minis look overpriced in comparison I think. It's not a device for me because I'd just look at how lush it looks and be thinking "if only it was full size" but I certainly appreciate the effort here.

Comment

Definitely looks like a very nicely put together collectible. Really nice attention to detail on areas like the marquee. It’s not too bright, they’ve filtered it to give it that glow you mention.

What other machines are they doing?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Definitely looks like a very nicely put together collectible. Really nice attention to detail on areas like the marquee. It’s not too bright, they’ve filtered it to give it that glow you mention.

What other machines are they doing?
              The 3 they have lined up for 2019 are Ms pacman, galaga & galaxian. Guessing depending on how well they sell they may expand if they can get the licenses. Their website has a bit of a sneak peek at the next ones near the bottom
              Quarter Arcades ( www.quarterarcades.com ) is the official place to hang out for fans of retro arcade games from the past. Designed and manufactured by https://numskull.com/ Quarter Arcades is bringing it's own version of the full size Arcade Cabinet into your home with a whole series of Quarter Scale Arcade cabinets.
              Last edited by importaku; 12-12-2018, 16:26.

Comment

That's a brilliant looking little thing, looks really nicely made. Despite its awesomeness I think lumping the limited edition tag line is a bit of a piss take though both for the amount they're making, and I doubt they'll even sell that many.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how the market responds as 10,000 is quite a lot even spread across the world, the replicade centipede run was half that. But if they can keep the quality up & expand the amount of titles on offer it will keep me happy.

Comment

Yeah, the 10,000 thing is just silly. There’s no need for it and they’ve set it at such a generous number it hardly matters. They’d be lucky to sell that many.

Comment

Seems the next one to come will be galaga from checking their Facebook page out. Going by that pattern I’m going to guess ms Pac-Man after that and then finally Galaxian. Although I would love galaga 88 instead it’s my favourite version.

Comment

Have you opened it up and looked at the guts [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION]?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          Going by that pattern I’m going to guess ms Pac-Man
                          Any idea when these might be coming out? My wife is a huge Ms Pac-Man fan and this could make for a great birthday present next year. I mean, she'll curse me because we have nowhere to put it but she'll also love it.

Comment

Please record the emotions in her face at 240fps as they change from delight -> concern -> worry -> puzzled -> forced delight so you won't be upset.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X