Retro Arena: Arcade Classics Pt1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I don't think I've ever played it in an arcade.
    Book yourself a hotel in Bury and get yourself up to Arcade Club, mate. Honestly, that phosphor glow, man... you have to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      Book yourself a hotel in Bury and get yourself up to Arcade Club, mate. Honestly, that phosphor glow, man... you have to see it.
      Yeah, vector games have a magical glow.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Yeah, vector games have a magical glow.
        Vector games do look so nice on the original hardware. You can never accurately emulate the glow of those dazzlingly white bullets from Asteroids!

Playing the Pole Position coin-op with my dad is my earliest gaming memory, so I always have a soft spot for it.

Massive nostalgia for Star Wars as well. Sitting in the cab listening to the music brings memories rushing back!

I was born in 1978, so I’m a bit young for some of these at the time, but I’ve recently started to appreciate Galaga and Defender (despite the controls!)

Comment

I repeat what I said to Leon: get down to Arcade Club ASAP. They have sit-down versions of both Pole Position and Star Wars. I always give both a bit of time whenever I get the chance to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            Vector games do look so nice on the original hardware. You can never accurately emulate the glow of those dazzlingly white bullets from Asteroids!
            Yeah, you can't emulate the glow. I wish I had a Vectrex.

Playing the Pole Position coin-op with my dad is my earliest gaming memory, so I always have a soft spot for it.

I just remember being really rubbish at it.

Massive nostalgia for Star Wars as well. Sitting in the cab listening to the music brings memories rushing back!

I remember it feeling like VR when I sat in the cockpit. Such an amazing experience as a kid.

I was born in 1978, so I’m a bit young for some of these at the time, but I’ve recently started to appreciate Galaga and Defender (despite the controls!)
            I remember having quite a negative attitude towards really old arcade games a while back, but when I got into retro gaming I began to really appreciate them. Robotron 2084 is always a joy to play.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-01-2019, 17:24.

Comment

Mine;
              1: Galaxian
              2: Defender
              3: Scramble

Galaxian is my best of all time so is no 1 in any list, Defender and Scramble took a lot of my 10p's as a kid.

Agree with samanosuke though, Asteroids should be on, it would then go second as it also comes second in my all time 10p scoffing machines after Galaxian.

Also surprised the original Space Invaders isn't on. Also really liked Sheriff but you didn't see many of them - think it was a Nintendo title, remember it being part of our local once a year fair and at the time shoved a load into it just because it wasn't so common where we were.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                Also surprised the original Space Invaders isn't on.
                I maybe should have included Space Invaders, but because it's a game I don't like at all, I decided against it. I do like modern Space Invaders games though that have a faster pace and more intense action.

There are also a lot of games from that particular era that might have fans but weren't big hits. So I focused on games that lots of people would identify as being classics.

Comment

Working...
                X