Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched my first ever ep of THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF, about seven hours back.

It was good. But full of moist and sticky and dribbly innuendo. Absolutely fuccin tiresome. But I have to say a positive, all four presenters are ace, Pru Leith is the class, Toksvig the stoic, Noel Fielding the funny, Hollywood the critic...and he does it great.

Bad thing is, the cake baking is boring. First ep was like 96mins and the best bit was a short bit in the middle where they had to make angel cakes, that was ace, short n sweet.

In short, it's good but nowhere near MASTERCHEF level. That shids big, horrible paps all over this. In any of its incarnations.

Can't believe TGBBO has been going for a decade. That's because it's not as good as Masterchef.

Nothing can ever be as good.

Comment

CONTESTANT (in Spanish accent) :

"I'm making a fairy garden"

PAUL HOLLYWOOD (rolling eyes pervish) :

"I thought you said FURRY garden".

Yeah. That's the measure. Yeah.

Comment

Defunctland: Season 02
        Felt like something of a culmination with the 40m final episode covering the difficulties of Disneyland Hong Kong and the end of Eisner's career at the top of Disney in the mid-2000's at the company's darkest hour before Iger stepped in to make it the dominant force it is now. Curious what S3 will cover as it feels like much of Disney Parks history has been covered now.

Comment

Is this worth watching, Supes?
          I've seen one (or two) and thought it was good, but does the quality remain?

Comment

Broadly it does, there's a fair amount of repetition as so much of the content relates to the Disney Parks and even when discussing other companies lost rides it's often the case that many of them were created I response to Disney Parks. Season 2 breathes it out a little more from that but they're great at telling ride history in straight forward ways with plenty enough footage etc of the experience.

Comment

I watched all of Defunctland too. It’s fairly decent. Worth a watch but nothing mind blowing. It’s virtually all info you could easily find for yourself, strung together in a smoothly produced video.

What would really elevate it for me is if he sought out interviews with key individuals and uncovered new information. His Action Park episode, for instance, is basically a narration of the Wikipedia page. That said, I enjoyed both the Disney’s America episode and the one about the Tokyo only attraction underneath the castle though. They were interesting.

It would be great if season 3 focused on interviews with actual Imagineers. But they’re probably all NDA’d up the wazoo.

Comment

The Act
                About the real life case of a mother drugging and lying about and to her daughter over multiple ailments so she can keep her at home for herself. It was ok, the main issue is that the entire tale fits within a TV movie length but they went for 10 episodes here and there's nowhere near the amount of content for that making it drag a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  The Act
                  About the real life case of a mother drugging and lying about and to her daughter over multiple ailments so she can keep her at home for herself. It was ok, the main issue is that the entire tale fits within a TV movie length but they went for 10 episodes here and there's nowhere near the amount of content for that making it drag a lot.
                  Did they work out that it was the mother drugging the child after a kid walked into the funeral and was told by a ghost where the find a hidden videotape and played it to the people at the wake?

Comment

Nope, would have made it more interesting though

Comment

In remembrance of The Moon being blasted out of Earth's orbit 20 years ago today, please stop and take a moment to listen to one of the best TV theme tunes ever recorded:

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        In remembrance of The Moon being blasted out of Earth's orbit 20 years ago today, please stop and take a moment to listen to one of the best TV theme tunes ever recorded:

Awesome show!

Comment

Orange is the New Black: Season 07
                          The final run and it was better than the last one but miserable... like, overly so. As much as the show has never been shy about giving bad endings for characters it was obsessively focused on it in its wrap up with only one or two getting even a hint of anything positive coming out of the show which felt like it undermined some of the outcomes because it was so heavy handedly beating you around the head. There are some great moments in it though, whilst some characters are underserved others get their moment for the actors to really sign off on their roles. Though naturally, Piper remained a useless despicable wretch until the very last.

Comment

Marianne: Season 01
                            I don't even know if this is supposed to have a second season. There's the strand there to make one but it's not necessary that there be one to the story. I'll open with my one complaint and that this is too orientated around jump scares, it's not that it's not effective with them but it's largely what it relies on and if this is going to be a running series then that won't hold up which would be a shame as this is the second time a TV series has successfully translated horror to the small screen - it remains an insult that anyone considers AHS horror. This is the recent Netflix horror series, over 8 episodes, which is French (subtitles!) and follows Emma. Emma is a sarcastic horror writer who has translated her nightmares into a series of ten highly successful novels, the latest bringing the story to an end. An old friend confronts Emma to say she needs to return to her old home town because the evil entity she writes about - Marianne - may be real and manifesting back there.

It starts of with a faint Alan Wakeness about it but quickly unravels itself out, it has a great sense of humour too which is fairly dry and it knows when not to apply it also. Every character is likeable and is part of the arc. Really good stuff this one.

Comment

The Twilight Zone: Season 01
                              Well, part of it. This is the new rebooted version from Jordan Peele. I went in with a fairly clear mind of what to expect because neither Get Out or Us were good horrors on any level but they reeked of Twilight Zone mindset in terms of concept so this feels like a natural extension of his existing work. That might be the case but it turns out this is so, so much worse than his film output. Just plain boring at best, stupid and grating at worst. Awful stuff so dropped.

Comment

[MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION], is it worth merging all of the telly threads into a single TV show thread when we start again in the new year?

It's getting a bit spread out with a Netflix, digital stream and telly threads, especially as the Disney+ is coming.

Maybe a "TV news" thread and a "TV I have watched 2020" one?

Comment

Working...
                                X