This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuse View Post
    I could've sworn I checked the last couple of pages... sorry gang.

But I'd definitely echo a lot of thoughts about it being a particularly harrowing watch - the last episode was particularly great, but I found some of the facts in the "real life vs dramatisation" summary at the end quite stomach churning.

Some other scenes that stuck with me; everyone watching the fire in the first episode just staring at it without any real cause for concern, and that horrendous scene where the helicopters were flying over attempting to try and put the fire out, where the first one is just taken straight out of the sky as folks watch in futility as they prepare to send in another. Blooooody hell.
    It's fine, mate. It's an amazing show that's worth discussing, that's why I summarised what we'd said.

I'll reiterate that it's important to read around it a little bit to separate facts from fiction.

For example, the helicopter crash did take place, but not in the following couple of days trying to put out the fire, it was October, long after the fire was put out. The Director wanted to show the effects of the radiation directly above, so is one of the things he moved forward chronologically.

Comment

Here are a couple of pages worth looking at.

Why HBO's "Chernobyl" gets nuclear so wrong.

Just in case you were thinking there's no way anyone would make the kind of mistakes that were made at Chernobyl, here's an article criticising the nuclear plant in Belarus, where the protective nuclear shell was dropped up to 4 metres during construction.

The structural frame of the nuclear service building at the site collapsed in April, as first reported by the Belsat independent TV station. According to the report, supervisors, under pressure to meet a deadline, ordered workers to pour too much concrete causing the structure to collapse.

No mention of the accident was made in the Belarusian state media or by officials, with the spokesman at the plant first denying anything had happened. In May, the Belarusian energy ministry, however, did confirm an “incident” had occurred during the pouring of concrete, but the “defect” had been dealt with.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/09/belarus-under-fire-for-dangerous-errors-at-nuclear-plant

Comment

Thanks for sharing those. Feel a little angry at myself after reading that Forbes one, but very glad I did.

Comment

I think Forbes is a pretty good site, so was pleased they had an article and could bypass the one on The Mirror.

Don't be angry with yourself! You have to be aware that these things are docudramas and sometimes facts get in the way of a good story.

However, it was an amazing and tense drama that I'd really recommend with the caveat of reading something like that Forbes article for a bit of balance.

EDIT: I've heard a recent good book about the disaster is Midnight in Chernobyl:

Last edited by QualityChimp; 18-06-2019, 15:11.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            Thanks for sharing those. Feel a little angry at myself after reading that Forbes one, but very glad I did.
            That forbe's article reads like pure pure propaganda its written on behalf of the nuclear industry, by Nuclear power lobbyist Michael Shellenberger, take it with a pinch of salt.

A total of up to 4000 people could eventually die of radiation exposure from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (NPP) accident nearly 20 years ago, an international team of more than 100 scientists has concluded.

id trust the above far more than a forbes article

The Chernobyl Forum. The digest, based on a three-volume, 600-page report and incorporating the work of hundreds of scientists, economists and health experts, assesses the 20-year impact of the largest nuclear accident in history
            Last edited by Lebowski; 18-06-2019, 15:34.

Comment

Perfect, thanks.

Comment

I finished What We Do In The Shadows. It was superb overall. The one thing that didn’t quite seem placed well was the big cameos episode. It had a lot of fun to it but it was weird more wasn’t made of it. Some great moments and the characters are really strong. I don’t know that guy who plays Nandor at all but he’s brilliant. Matt Berry is Matt Berry of course, which is also great. Actually the whole cast are good. Hoping for a season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I finished What We Do In The Shadows. It was superb overall. The one thing that didn’t quite seem placed well was the big cameos episode. It had a lot of fun to it but it was weird more wasn’t made of it. Some great moments and the characters are really strong. I don’t know that guy who plays Nandor at all but he’s brilliant. Matt Berry is Matt Berry of course, which is also great. Actually the whole cast are good. Hoping for a season 2.
                  Nandor is Kayvan Novak, most famous for being the Phonejacker (Blast from the past), he was in 4 Lions too.

Comment

Ah okay. I only vaguely remember Phonejacker and I never saw 4 Lions. He’s so good in this. I must check out 4 Lions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Just got to that episode and I agree it’s a bit weird seeing all these big names with bit parts and of course the original cast. Really enjoying the series so far. Even my good lady likes it which is saying something.

Comment

Speechless: Season 03
                        The last one and they had the chance to give it a proper ending. It's on fumes to be honest, there's just not enough to the idea of the show so it's best it ended when it did. It was a bit gruelling but the last episode managed to send it off well.

Comment

Anyone caught Warrior as yet? I've watched the first 2 episodes & love it.

Gratuitous sex, nudity, violence and most importantly great kung-fu. This show was made for me it seems! The main bloke does an awesome job channelling Bruce Lee.

Comment

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 05
                            By this fifth run it seems like most of the characters have descended into becoming persona's of their original versions. They used to be mostly the same but now Dennis is simply an egomaniac, Dee is a poor schemer, Charlie is a full on kook and every scene is governed by these simplistic approaches. Mac is mostly the same as he was for now but whilst I wouldn't say it's made the show much better it has made it more sitcom in terms of structure so it feels a little easier to digest as it feels a tad more self-aware as a result.

Comment

Started watching season 4 of Gomorrah this week. Consistently excellent Italian crime series. It kind of reminds me of The Wire in that you see the problems from the very bottom levels all the way to the top. It feels like ages since I saw season 3 and it's

shocker of a finale

but season 4 has hit the ground running, not hanging around. It's brilliant.

Comment

Holy carp, the 2nd season of The OA is sensational.

Comment

Working...
                                X