X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Horror Story: Season 9
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/tv-news-...-pose-pearson/
    The ninth season of AHS has been confirmed to be titled American Horror Story: 1984 and looks to be riffing on Friday the 13th

Comment

It's a shame The Grand Tour has finished in it's current format. Amazon had hammered it into pretty good shape over the three seasons. Still, at least it can go out on a high this way. And the remaining road-trip specials are always popular among fans.

Sad thing for me is it's been one of the few tv shows that me and my boys still watch together ... a weekly appointment to actually sit in the same room and share a tv moment.

They drifted away from Top Gear pretty fast ... and I think I'm about to too.

Comment

I've been watching season 3 and it feels like it's hit its stride. Shame its ending so soon.

Comment

Found myself watching that Celebrity Apprentice earlier, the Comic Relief thing, it's great. Can't believe Omid Djalili did that naked balloon sketch Jeezus..

Comment

Just watched Paddy McGuinness's new gameshow, 'Catchpoint', the main mechanic of this show involves catching pink, rubber balls that drop from the ceiling. It's more dumbed down than Tipping Point is. Wonder if it'll catch on? Inane but gotta concede Pads is a good host. And the set and logo look ace. But so so dumb.

Comment

Also watched the recent League Of Gentlemen live show. It was decent. They're still very much The League, they should stop pussyfooting and just bring it back. Love the bingo caller bloke. Might not have been their bestest thing but there's acres of possibility left I reckon.

Comment

Papa Lazarou's funky dance in the mitre FTW

Comment

Schitt's Creek Season 1
                  Not one we'll be continuing with, it's a very one note comedy about a rich family losing all their money and being forced to live out of a motel in a hick town they bought for a joke. I your head by now you've probably thought of every joke the scenario entails.

Workin' Moms Season 1

I had no idea this show would end up selling such a positive image... of men. The fathers in this aren't in it much but they're all responsible, supportive and caring. The shows not about them though, it's about the mothers as they face returning to work. I braced myself for the whole 'struggle to leave the babies' jokes thing but that's not what you get, they're all awful. Not entirely of their own fault, for example one is clearly dealing with a very dark case of post-natal depression but broadly they're awful people and terrible parents who are incredibly lucky their partners endure them.

Comment

Watch Rilakkuma and Kaoru on Netflix. It’s absolutely gorgeous and will soothe your soul.

Comment

I initially posted this in the 2018 TV thread by mistake. However the shows are so good and worthy of attention that I'm copying the post here:

There was a great line up of astronomy themed programming on BBC Four last night a couple weeks back to coincide with and celebrate the first image of a black hole:

The Sky at Night

Chris Lintott opens up The Sky at Night's 60-year archive to reveal how stars work, their life cycles and how their own demise holds the key to our very existence.

How to See a Black Hole: The Universe's Greatest Mystery

Documentary following researchers as they try to take the first-ever picture of a black hole. They must travel the globe to build a revolutionary telescope that spans planet Earth.

Gravity And Me: The Force That Shapes Our Lives

Professor Jim Al-Khalili investigates the amazing science of gravity. As well sculpting our universe, gravity also affects our weight, height and even the rate at which we age.

Horizon: Who Is Afraid of a Big Black Hole?

Scientists now believe black holes could hold the key to answering the ultimate question: what was there before the big bang? However, researching them is next to impossible.

Horizon: Strange Signals from Outer Space!

Horizon investigates unusual space signals including the Lorimer Burst, and has exclusive access to researchers at the Green Bank Telescope searching for signals from Tabby's Star.

The two Horizon shows were particularly good and quite thought provoking. Check 'em out before they vanish from BBC iPlayer.

Comment

The Fantastic Mr Feynman

Shown on BBC Four last night, this documentary looks at the life and work of one of my favourite scientists - the particle physicist Richard Feynman.

Anyone with an interest in quantum mechanics will be familiar with the name Feynman. If you've never heard of him then just know that he is one of the greatest scientists of all time, up there with the very best, with Einstein, with Newton, with Darwin, with Dirac, with Bohr, with Tesla, whose calculations have helped provide the most precise measurements in science.

What really set Feynman apart is that, as well as being an extraordinary physicist, he was also an extraordinary man. Like Einstein before him, he was an anti-authoritarian with a deep mistrust of convention and suspicion for rules and regulations. He was insatiably brilliant, brimming with wonder and laughter and charisma and playfulness. He was a man of love. A genius in the true sense of the word. A man who worked in physics not to gain respect or win awards and accolades (of which he won many and hated), not to play a part in some imaginary grand advancement of the human species, not to go down in history, but because he had a pure and childlike lifelong curiosity.

Watch the programme here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...tic-mr-feynman

And let's get a flavour for the man by reading some of his quotes:

“Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough.”

“Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible.”

“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”

“You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to accomplish. I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It's their mistake, not my failing.”

“I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.”

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

“I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell.”

“If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part.”

“What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our physics students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my physics students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it. Nobody does.”

“You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts.” - very Zen

“I don't know what's the matter with people: they don't learn by understanding, they learn by some other way — by rote or something. Their knowledge is so fragile!”

“I think nature's imagination Is so much greater than man's, she's never going to let us relax”

“To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell.” A Buddhist saying re-quoted by Feynman after witnessing the destructive power of the atomic bomb.

“Physics isn't the most important thing. Love is.”

“The highest forms of understanding we can achieve are laughter and human compassion.”

And how about video of the man to boot:

What a physicist. What a man. What a genius.
                        Last edited by Zen Monkey; 26-04-2019, 09:46.

Comment

Watched the 2 part series 4 of Luther. I don't recall London having so many serial killers though

Looking forward to series 5 now, it seems that the psycho chick Alice is back!

Comment

Russian Doll
                            Groundhog Day but surprisingly nicely handled with a nice enough wrap up at the end of its 8 short episodes.

Comment

Last Friday saw BBC Four dedicate four hours of programming to the blues:

John Lee Hooker: The Boogie Man

Great documentary about the late great John Lee Hooker. As well as interviews with the man himself, theer are also contributions from Keith Richards, Van Morrison, Carlos Santana, Bonnie Raitt who tell us how John Lee Hooker's music influenced their own musical journeys.

The Rolling Stones at the BBC

Some fantastic and little-seen performances on show here. God, I love the Stones.

Blues & Beyond with Cerys Matthews and Val Wilmer

DJ Cerys Matthews and acclaimed blues photographer Val Wilner discuss and select their favourite blues artists. Includes performances by Jimi Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Aretha Franklin and Muddy Waters. What more could you want?

Blues at the BBC

Collection of classic blues performances from the BBC archives, including The Kinks, BB King, Clapton and John Lee Hooker.

Four great shows highlighting the very best of blues music; and who doesn't love the blues? Who cannot help admire and stand in awe at the spiritual armour on display in those original blues men and women who, like alchemists turning base metals into gold, took their pain and suffering and degradation and subjugation and turned it into something beautiful and valuable.

Comment

Cobra Kai: Season 2
                                Actually pretty close to the quality of the first season. It's a direct continuation so they'll have to watch that the kids don't out age the narrative but it continues to work well and the cliffhanger of the first run is delivered on nicely along with more hints for what's to come. Probably the biggest shame is the climactic fight, it's supposed to be a big event but just comes across as dumb and spoils the build up but otherwise still surprisingly good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X