This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels
    Has some okay moments but this carries the PD name purely for attention, it has nothing in common at all and even if it did it would pale by the comparison. Not sure I have a second run in me.

The Office: Season 08
    The idea's well is definitely dryer this season with some repetition of past arcs but it definitely gets too much of a drubbing for the loss of Michael.

Arrow: Season 08

This shortened final season follows Oliver's march towards Crisis. It's been well covered how we long wanted out and it reeks of it in this tired needless run which is mostly filler to the main event. Two episodes take place in Crisis's wake to wrap things up and make an even worse impression with the first used as a backdoor pilot to a spin-off set in 2040 with his daughter and two of the Canaries in what is absolutely identical action to Arrow but with characters you care less about about, a pointless ep for a pointless spin-off. The final attempts some sort of wrap up but with most of the characters having been MIA, time reworked etc it's a tired putter to an end of a show that ran far too long.

Crisis on Infinite Earths
    The closest thing to Endgame on TV. I know of Crisis but didn't know the specifics of how it pans out so this was interesting for that alone, especially as this lacks the necessary budget but it did enough to show what scale of event the DCU could accomplish if Warner's got its act together. It's five episodes long and could have cut at least one of them but the second and third eps are probably the peak with the most cameo's, cross overs and events in them. Some of the cameo's are criminally short but the end does a decent job of aligning the various shows in a more sensical order and worth it for stuff like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Crisis on Infinite Earths
      The closest thing to Endgame on TV.
      I was going nuts hearing about this and seeing clips, but I haven't watched Supergirl. Do you think I'd be alright to just watch these five episodes or would it be a confusing mess?

Comment

You should be fine to go. Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman and Legends all just kind of did their own thing for the most part and then ended on cliffhangers where they find out Crisis is beginning, only Arrow tried to directly lead into it and even then nothing critical happens

Comment

Cool, I'll give it a shot. Tom Welling ftw etc

Comment

MILLIONAIRE. Very annoying. I *KNEW* it was Venus Williams who won it at Wimbledon in 2000.

I wasn't entirely sure but he Asked The Audience and they gave him the correct answer (Venus Williams) at betwixt a 69-81% typa ratio.

He took the £250k like a twunt. That was a pretty easy quezzie for £500k, I thought.

Everything pointed at the right answer and the whatever it is and whatever it isn't.

Pissed me off no end cos it was all going on the crest of a wave of brilliant good fate and twunt checked out at £250k when clearly ALL winds were going in his favour, at the time.

Yeah...strike while the iron is hot...and kiss when those lips are still luscious and wet and nice.
            Last edited by JazzFunk; 20-08-2020, 04:17.

Comment

I watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders - thought it was pretty good, before I get invested - is it worth watching for 5 series??

Comment

Yes. It's very, very good.

Comment

Bojack Horseman: Season 06 Part Two
                  Finally wrapped it up and it was a bit of a flat ending to be honest. Bojack was always a terrible character in terms of behaviour but it really seemed like the final season or final run of episodes exist solely to tear the character down. It would have been much better for Season 05 to be the ending where you never agreed with his actions and it never seemed like he'd change or come out well thereby proving his parents right but you didn't hate the character too much because the show had spent a lot of time contextualising how he became so broken. The sixth run seems to just descend into punishment mode and by the time he's knocked fully to his lowest it's hard to take it too seriously as an ending because the characters seem poised to go back through the motions in a never to exist S7. Great show that ran one season too long.

Comment

I watched the first three episodes of The Twilight Zone with the missus and it was a bit depressing, to be honest.
                    Every story had a negative ending.
                    Black Mirror has got the depressing sci-fi short stories sorted, so was hoping for something that was more mysterious or positive.
                    The missus doesn't want to watch any more episodes.

However, I've been caning Gangs of London and that's been exceptional.

It's got the back-stabbing of a mafia movie, with the literal stabbing of a Gareth Evans movie.

Some great acting and seeing where all the loose threads all ended up was gripping.

Action-wise, the stand-outs are the episodes that Evans directed, namely 1 and 5.
                    1 has a massive pub brawl and 5 has an immense siege on a farmhouse.
                    There's a brilliant drone shot linking several groups of characters and shows their close proximity, then there's about 40 minutes of action.

Comment

Late to the party as usual, I'm currently slogging through 2-3 episodes of Game of Thrones per night. Just started season 4, and it's been unremittingly excellent so far. Like a great Jack Vance novel turned into an epic TV series. There are some dips, but in every season there's been a moment where I've just thought "wow!", as some character I expected to live is killed off, or some seemingly minor scene has horrible consequences for one of the major characters. It's addictive.

Comment

I finished the first season of Pennyworth last night. This is the most surprised I've been with a show for a while ... it's so much better than it probably needed to be. There are simply tons of ideas going on and different dimensions to it. It must have taken a fair old while to create and craft it into what it is, and a substantial budget too. Shame season 2 is nowhere in sight thanks to the pandemic but at least it's happening at some point. Can't come soon enough though.

Comment

We watched The Fall recently which was entertaining enough to keep slogging through, but also highly unconvincing in terms of its police procedural bits and just with the central characters themselves. This wouldn't be an issue if there was any degree of mystery to keep you hooked, but each of the pivotal moments and the people involved are shown in full detail. I thought it was funny (read: accurate) that one of the defining points was that seemingly everyone wanted to bed Gillian Anderson's character.

Watched a few episodes of The Umbrella Academy too, which so far isn't doing much for me either. I don't find any of the characters half as funny / cool / whatever as they seem to think I should, and the biggest 'reveal' so far has been so obvious that you can't take anyone who missed it seriously. I might try and finish out the first season, at least.

Comment

Finished my Game of Thrones binge. It was just... epic.

Comment

We caned War of the Worlds, the Fox one on NowTV.
                              It's really just a link in name and alien attack, but there are more differences than similarities.
                              I like the sight of giant tripods mashing everyone up, but that's been done before and quite recently with the BBC's adaptation.

I found some of the characters stopped being interesting and became annoying with their actions. Incredibly self-centred when the world has ended. However, it's pretty gritty with nobody particularly safe and some dark moments.

They're currently filming the second series in Wales, following strict Covid-19 guidance.
                              It helps that there are hardly any people left alive!

Comment

The Office: Season 09
                                Pretty much the same as previous viewings where some stuff like Pete, Andy etc don't work at all but some stuff like Clark, the character wrap ups etc do. It's unquestionably not as strong as what went before but still remains much stronger than it gets credit for.

Comment

Working...
                                X