This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End of the F****** World: Series 02
    Wasn't quite as good as the first due largely to how stretched the concept to justify it was but overall it was still a good run to lead up to the proper ending, it's a show that does a really good job of working dislikeable characters in a justifiable way that endears them and charts the road to them becoming better, even if that journey goes on long after the show ends.

Comment

I'm enjoying Myths and Monsters on Netflix, a six-part series exploring ancient myths and legends. Each episode revolves around a central theme and draws from fairy tales such as those collected by the Brothers Grimm, the epic tales contained in the writings of Homer's Iliad and the Odyssey, the Viking sagas, and traditional Celtic folklore. The presentation is excellent and the high quality artwork and imagery really bring the stories to life.

It's surprising how many of the messages and meanings within old myths and legends remains relevant today. Society, naturally, has changed greatly since when they were written and our knowledge in that time has multiplied exponentially to the point where we no longer believe that forests are dangerous places filled with monsters but as human beings we haven't changed much at all really. We're all still still set upon by similar and often unwelcome emotions, we still battle with inner demons, be it pride or fear or anger or arrogance; and that is what many of the old tales touch on, but rather than call fear fear, it is manifested in the form of an ogre or a wolf or a woman with snakes for hair.

Myths and Monsters takes its audience on a journey through the mythic landscape of Europe, revealing the origins of the most famous legends this continent ha...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyy View Post
        Just started watching Raised by Wolves. Not sure what I make of the first episode; a little strange but glad I can binge watch 9 more episodes to see how it plays out.
        Can't believe more people aren't talking about Raised by Wolves, Riddley Scots new sci-fi series, that's currently streaming via sky. Really cool setting amazing world building and a very cool setup.

Two Cyborgs (mother and Father) are sent from earth to the nearest planet that can sustain life, they are entrusted with ensuring the survival of the human race and been given 9 frozen embryos to achieve this task. Earth is on the brink of destruction because of a decades of religious based wars so you get a real sense of desperation in their mission as their environment and situation seems really oppressive.

I'm only three episodes in but i really enjoying the direction its taking so far hopefully the series keeps building on what they have delivered so far.

Last edited by Lebowski; 07-12-2020, 14:34.

Comment

Incredibly late to the party, but my wife and I are hugely enjoying Community. Not every episode is gold but it's never poor, and when it's at it its best it's fantastic.

Comment

MASTERCHEF: THE PROFESSIONALS. Surprisingly, that 'experimental' guy from Leeds who made a dessert with edible ants that nobody liked shaved through with two edible-looking dishes.

I'm from Leeds and wanted Santosh, Victor, or that guy with the beard and bulbous eyes to win. They have all made consistently great food with no fancy bollocks ant recipes.

I don't wanna be eating shid I could imagine crawling about in my arsecrack, were I to be a tramp.

Anyway, it's the semis. Look forward to next week.

Comment

Saved by the Bell: Season 01
              Really odd show this, this being the new incarnation. It's a mixture of revival, successor and reboot with three cast types and two tones co-existing. First you have the original cast kind of playing hyper-real versions of their old characters, then you have the new cast playing the New Class type kids who are to a degree kid versions of them then you have the reboot characters who are teens from a closed down poor neighborhood of black students who are transferred to Bayside which is still somewhat 'TV Comedy' styled thereby having them comment all the time about the weirdness and how rich everyone is. It's written by the Youtube person responsible for Zak Morris is Trash as well which you can tell because it goes out of its way to tear that character down. That's been part of the trouble, you have two tones which don't gel once the initial joke about it grows old. Also, you can't consistently draw attention to how awful old characters are when they're the primary reason the show exists and the reason people are watching, the new cast and particularly the central 'real world' cast are the worst additions so by the end of the season it feels like its played out. For Season 2 it needs to double down more on the OG stuff in a more balanced way otherwise it'll lose focus.

Comment

Giri/Haji

Crikey, this is some good shizzle.

Two episodes in so far, and it doesn't let up. These Japanese Netflix shows are head and shoulders above the regular Japanese TV shows in every department.

Comment

Giri/Haji was my favourite series of last year (2019). A brilliant cast of characters, a clash of cultures, a crime plot... I loved it. And there’s a moment toward the end where for a couple of minutes it transcends the genre and becomes sublime.

Comment

"Video Game Box Art: The Stories Behind the Covers" is on Prime Video.
                    Mainly American and the series isn't included free with Prime, but thought I'd share:

Comment

Tried To The Lake on Netflix. It's a Russian post-plague survival series, quite short (7 episodes, I think), and pretty good. It has some absurd moments, plenty of vodka drinking and a faint whiff of misogyny, but there's an excellent plot that's always driving forward with surprises and twists. Good character arcs too for a couple of the protagonists. Would recommend.

Comment

I watched Marvel 616 (via Disney+), which is a series about how Marvel impacts the lives of people in the real world.

The first episode is about Japanese Spider-Man and thought it would be really whacky, but it was really informative and the cast were really positive about the experience and it ended up being quite emotional by the end.

There's an episode about Marvel toys that I want to watch next in the series.

Comment

After a massive lull where I've barely watched any TV over the past couple of months, I've had a bit of a binge over Chrissy and new year.

I've started watching Banshee, 5 episodes in, it's awesome so far. Hot hot hot. Love how the baddy is a wing chun student.

I also finished The Undoing. I really enjoyed it.

I was convinced it was Kidman all along, it fooled me with the obvious

I also recently realised there's a second season of Warrior so I'm looking forward to some kung fu action.

Comment

Hell's Kitchen: Season 19
                            Was surprised this aired before it does in the US so via catch up we shot straight into the final rounds. It had been off the air for a long time but remains oddly compelling even though it's overly repetitive and this seasons contestants were universally a poor crop.

The Expanse: Season 03
                            Took a while to get through this run and it was almost the best one of the three I've seen so far except for one aspect which is the mid-season shift. I know these are adapting books so I took it in its stride when the storyline effectively wipes itself clean and it jumps into an entirely new one mid-way through without notice but it inescapably breaks the shows momentum when it happens and whilst it builds itself up pretty quickly again the new tale that runs till the end wasn't as detailed, tight or compelling as the show continues its slow progression into turning into Babylon 5.

Cobra Kai: Season 03
                            Binged this in a single day thanks to the kids sleeping out and... it was so much stronger than the second season. It really lunged back towards the structure of the first season whilst still moving the characters forward and deep diving into more of the longer history of some of the less explored ones too. Continues to be a surprising example of exactly how older properties should be continued when the well is revisited.

Comment

I finished Cobra Kai season 3 last night. Absolutely loved it. It didn't quite have enough to move the kids forward so the adults very much led this season but it did it really well. Went right to the line of too cheesy in a couple of places and then just pulled back a touch, finding the perfect level. Episode 5 was incredible and I found it really emotional. And as always, the music is fantastic. Such a great show.

Comment

Dipping into Community with the missus.
                                Like it more than Parks & Rec, which feels like another The Office and I don't enjoy cringe comedy.

Got to say that The Mandolorian is brilliant.
                                Thought it was a bit simplistic at first - you want X, they need to kill Y - but it builds and each episode has its own minifilm, but also adds to the arc. Loved the prison ship episode (watched twice) and IG taking out the bad guys. The last 2 eps of S1 were ace.
                                Started the 2nd Season and it's like a Space Western crossed with Tremors.

The only show I remember liking more this year was Gangs of London.

Comment

Working...
                                X