Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, they do a good job of tying the insanity of the premises to the characterisations of the characters. It's nuts but never in an empty meaning way. The episode I probably was least keen on was the bird man episode before it, that one felt flatter and it's not a character I'm that bothered about

Comment

Yeah Birdman is a strange character to heap a lot of empathy onto because if feels like they've retconned this monotone simplistic character to have this deep bond with Rick, but as a viewer, I don't feel it.
      Even a comparatively poor episode of R&M is worth watching though, IMHO, as I thought the idea of reliving memories wrong was interesting and literally the same concept as Solaris that I watched recently!

Have you watched that Pixelart special yet? Amazing!

Comment

Not yet, all the little side stuff they regularly do I've largely missed as there's always the next thing I leap down to watch. I need to properly catch up on it all at some point but I agree with Birdman, I remember the episode where they covered their back history but the character has never sold the connection they have Rick have with him, makes so little sense when he's so bland and most other characters have had bigger interactions and adventures with him.

Comment

The pixelart one is by Paul Robertson and a special. Loads of references to previous episodes, so I think you'd like it.
          It's fairly short, so I've watched it a couple of times!

Birdman himself is bland (on purpose), but that's why the whole wedding episode was so interesting, with it's various twists and turns!

Comment

Lupin

Three episodes in. Really enjoying it.

Comment

Animaniacs: Season 01
              The new run, to be fair to it, is pretty well done. The animation and writing is largely there for this to pick up where the old run left off and it's self aware self-censorship of its more dated elements is amusing.

At first, about 8-9 episodes in it becomes more of a drag. The trouble is that they've pretty much cut everything except the main trio and Pinky & the Brain. It costs the show a sense of random zaniness and it starts to become a little defined by what's missing rather than what's there. With any hope they will add more in as time goes on but as well done as it currently is it gets a little samey.

Comment

Rewatching Blake's 7.

As gashly brilliant and brilliantly gash as I remember. Love it!

Comment

Rick and Morty

Perfection itself. Late to the party but I’m halfway through season two and each episode has been a joy to watch.

It’s sooooo good, Morty, I’m telling you. Are you listening, Morty? MoOorty!

Ted Lasso: Season 2

Just finished episode nine - an absurd, surreal and beautiful episode devoted entirely to Coach Beard.

Comment

Thought I'd try Canadian 2019 disaster/mystery series Departure on one of the Channel 5 Freeview sister channels (5Star I think) but I believe it is being shown late night on C5 too but no idea when.

Anyway: intriguing start but it has a very derivative feel with largely anonymous actors doing bad impressions of better actors in other similar roles. All a bit cliched with tired looking cross Atlantic location hopping, unconvincing high tech mumbo-jumbo and the usual cast of stock characters with their stock personal agendas and baggage all behaving as you would expect.

Still its not awful so I'll be watching the next episode just to see if it grabs me.

Comment

Wellington Paranormal: Season 02
                      Overall this was an enjoyable second run but not quite as good as the first. There's a slight sense that the ideas well was a little dry by comparison on this run. There's still enough to make it decent fun though and O' Learey keeps extending her lead as my favourite on the show.

Comment

Half way though Deep State. Loving it so far. Mark Strong is an excellent lead. Not sure how Boyd Crowder comes into this though

Comment

Just finished season 2 of Pennyworth. A brilliant show with such a clear vision.

Comment

Meant to say I've been a fan of the modernised Sherlock Holmes based Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu (good supporting cast too).

JLM gurns a bit too much for my liking but his portrayal of Holmes as a complex, difficult, arrogant and deeply flawed but genius crime investigator is top notch with Lucy Liu slotting in perfectly in an unusual and original take on the Watson character.

They threw it away on Freeview: Pick, where I 'discovered' it, running through the last season (7) in under a month by showing it on a daily basis.

Sorry to see it ended there.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                              Meant to say I've been a fan of the modernised Sherlock Holmes based Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu (good supporting cast too).
                              Didn't get very far with it. Maybe because US shows without the breaks are about 20 minutes?

Anyway, I quite liked it. I was proper howling on the episode where they speak to the guys on a basketball court and they won't talk, so he takes the basketball, looks at the hoop and starts calculating angles and wind velocity and height, then throws the ball away out of the court just to piss them off!
                              Last edited by QualityChimp; 22-09-2021, 13:21.

Comment

Great episode yesterday (S1 E6, Seek Locate Destroy). First appearances for Servalan and Travis (V1).

Comment

Working...
                                X