Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last season of Bosch it lost it's way a bit but I still enjoyed it.

Also finished off Reacher I'm not sure how it compares to the books but I quite liked it. Different from the movies but I like how Reacher is actually a big unit like he is supposed to be. BTW I did like the Tom Cruise movies. I'll definitely watch the next season if it is renewed.

Started the new Witcher season I'm a Cavill fanboy so of course it's good thus far!

Comment

Few recent finishes;

Bel-Air S1 - happy with where they've left it, and continued to be impressed with almost all of the changes they've made to the original. Entirely to its credit, now that I've seen it, I don't see how they could've not taken this path of updating it. Solid stuff.

Westworld S3 - came to this late after finding S2 a little underwhelming. Lots of big changes but found it really, really inconsistent - going from complex, high concept themes to fairly trite cheese at the drop of a hat. There is an episode mid-season ('Genre') that I found particularly irritating. From an aesthetic point of view I really struggled with it too; the score was constantly over-present in the mix, making a lot of dialogue hard to hear, and it was also just so dark too often. Still up for more, but feel like this was a continuation of a downward trajectory following the very strong first season.

Killing Eve S4 - felt the start of this final season was all over the shop, and very often lost me in its desperate attempts to tie up all of the loose plot points. It definitely tightened its focus for the last couple of episodes, but even suspending my disbelief at some of the goings on it still felt pretty unsatisfactory. Glad that it's not being dragged out any longer; again, it's another that had such a bold first season but couldn't stay that inventive forever.

Comment

I finished Tales From The Loop last night. I adored it. It's so beautiful. I want to watch it all over again. Doesn't look like they are making any more and that's fine - this is a lovely collection of stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          I finished Tales From The Loop last night. I adored it. It's so beautiful. I want to watch it all over again. Doesn't look like they are making any more and that's fine - this is a lovely collection of stories.
          that looks quite cool added to my watch list thanks for the recommendation

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
            Last season of Bosch it lost it's way a bit but I still enjoyed it.

Also finished off Reacher I'm not sure how it compares to the books but I quite liked it. Different from the movies but I like how Reacher is actually a big unit like he is supposed to be. BTW I did like the Tom Cruise movies. I'll definitely watch the next season if it is renewed.

Started the new Witcher season I'm a Cavill fanboy so of course it's good thus far!
            Agree with all of the above

Enjoyed final season of Peaky Blinders.
            Watching new season of Killing Eve. Great when it's about Villanelle, less great otherwsie.
            Witcher Season 2 was great. Better than season 1 in fact.

Comment

Peacemaker: Season 01
              I think the hype likely comes mostly from those who had let The Suicide Squad pass them by and were caught off guard by this spin-off series but the show is very much a form of sequel to the film placing its focus on the character who here finds himself in another mission but deeply troubled by his past and what he did in the film. It's a pacey eight episodes long and great fun with some nice character beats that give Cena more to do than he usually is permitted. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Peacemaker: Season 01
                I think the hype likely comes mostly from those who had let The Suicide Squad pass them by and were caught off guard by this spin-off series but the show is very much a form of sequel to the film placing its focus on the character who here finds himself in another mission but deeply troubled by his past and what he did in the film. It's a pacey eight episodes long and great fun with some nice character beats that give Cena more to do than he usually is permitted. Good stuff.
                I really enjoyed this. Pretty violent throughout and a fun ride without taking itself seriously at all... reminds me of The Boys more than anything else.

Also... major contender for best intro sequence.

Comment

Just started watching Twin Peaks S1. Many years after watching it before.

Comment

Thief, Wife, Canoe programme.

Interesting. I enjoyed it as a study of a sociopath or two, and their lengths to conceal their deceitful scam. The gall of them! I felt very sorry for the two lads.

Great to see KARL DILKINGTON turn up and sarcasm the hell out of everything.

Sidenote: the grandparents of my niece were friends with the Darwin family.

Comment

Inside No 9 - series 7 episode 1

Merrily, Merrily.
                      The strength here was the layers of backstory that were peeled away as the episode progressed. The four leads were excellent, with some genuinely amusing moments and, later on, some stark explanations. I’m not sold on the ending. It was intriguing rather than satisfying. I’d give this episode 6/10.

Comment

Anatomy of a Scandal (Netflix)is absolute, unmitigated dog ****. Rupert Friend and Sienna Miller might think to lull you in, but this this political / courtroom drama is offensive and painfully stupid. The dialogue is regularly appalling, it is shot with ridiculous camera angles and effects, and it's all pieced together with the kind of fast-shot edit that would feel excessive in a high-octane action film. It takes a serious issue (consent) and handles it with the grace of a jester. Avoid.

Comment

Killing Eve: Season 04
                          Generally speaking the season was fine. I know the ending didn't go down well and it wasn't great to be fair but not so much because of what happened to characters or even that they went with something abrupt, more so that is was completely unresolved. They went with something where they simply slap the worlds The End on the screen and walk away but you've spent enough time with the characters to know the events that would lead into another run, let alone that the final... scene... felt very easy to get out of too for another run. So, more weakly handled than anything else.

Comment

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel S4 (Amazon) is actually on an upward trajectory from the last season, but still continues with the overall story re-treading the same ground and generally going nowhere; that said, the moment-to-moment is enjoyable enough that it doesn't really detract from it too badly. The setting and the cast continue to be great.

They Call Me Magic (Apple) feels like the unofficial accompaniment to Netflix's The Last Dance. Magic is immediately a warmer and more personable subject than Michael, and despite comparable skill and determination, it's probably a more interesting watch for non-basketball-heads to see how circumstances change his trajectory away from the court.

Comment

Kotaro Lives Alone - this is awesome stuff, there is an underlying sadness and loneliness and it is sometimes almost unbearable but the glimpses of hope and happiness as the neighbours bond together around Kotaro and comfort to each other in their own different ways more than offsets this. It is uplifting. I have no idea how it will end though!

Comment

Moon Knight
                                Strong start, middling middle, very weak end. Kind of leaves things feeling like it was a semi-pointless tale to tell also which doesn't help. Likeable character but overall not as strong as some of the other MCM shows

Comment

Working...
                                X