Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently watching the first series of Wanted 2016 being shown on one of the C5 Freeview channels.

Not at all bad. Nothing we haven't seen before - two polar opposite women are forced to team up after witnessing a murder by corrupt cops who try to kill them too. They eventually escape and run away with the money involved. Branded in the media as dangerous criminals thanks to the corrupt cops they end up being pursued by the bad guys and the one good cop who is suspicious that something hinky is going on.

The USP is that this is Australia not the USA. Its all competently done in every respect with a gently amusing comradeship developing between the two very different women due to their accidental shared jeopardy. They also have secrets which will no doubt be used to add extra depth to the storyline.

Undemanding stuff but very watchable.

I think there are six episodes per series and they made three series so it must have gone down OK down-under.

Comment

Three episodes of Ozark to go. I used to adore this show but it feels punishing to watch it now, I just want it to be over.

Comment

Drop off in the last season yeah but I still loved Ozark. Even bad ozark is better than almost everything else except better call Saul.

Comment

Mare of Easttown - Really enjoyed it, great little series, though at time farking depressing. Winslet and the whole cast bloody good.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Drop off in the last season yeah but I still loved Ozark. Even bad ozark is better than almost everything else except better call Saul.
            Oh it's great TV, but it's just so relentlessly dark and pretty much every character in it is an absolute ****.

Comment

Only Murders in the Building

Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez play three vastly different people who bond over their love of a popular true crime podcast, When someone in their building turns up dead they decide to investigate it and create their own podcast, as many aspects of the open shut suicide case don't add up.

Lots of twists and turns a really likeable memorable cast include a great supporting cast too, its very funny in places Steve Martin and Martin Short play off each other brilliantly Martin is a bitter washed up TV actor who played a tv detective called Brazzos (the little flashbacks to his detective show are pure 80s cheese and really reminiscent of things like Columbo or Quincey). Short is plays the outlandish lovey, a struggling producer who's down on his luck after his biggest stage production Splash 2 massively flopped. Gomez is a bit of an anomaly, and i wasn't sure she fit but she won me over as the show went on and is integral to the story.

25-30 minute episode's so it doesn't outstay its welcome with nicely paced episodes, lots of misdirection and some fantastic celebrity cameos including an episode where they think that

Sting is a murderer

it has a really nice satisfying ending with a set up for another season that is coming later this year.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 08-06-2022, 13:29.

Comment

Poor Mark Ovitz, probably wonders if that's a reference to his own sequel Splash, Too

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post

Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez play three vastly different people who bond over their love of a popular true crime podcast, When someone in their building turns up dead they decide to investigate it and create their own podcast, as many aspects of the open shut suicide case don't add up.

Lots of twists and turns a really likeable memorable cast include a great supporting cast too, its very funny in places Steve Martin and Martin Short play off each other brilliantly Martin is a bitter washed up TV actor who played a tv detective called Brazzos (the little flashbacks to his detective show are pure 80s cheese and really reminiscent of things like Columbo or Quincey). Short is plays the outlandish lovey, a struggling producer who's down on his luck after his biggest stage production Splash 2 massively flopped. Gomez is a bit of an anomaly, and i wasn't sure she fit but she won me over as the show went on and is integral to the story.

25-30 minute episode's so it doesn't outstay its welcome with nicely paced episodes, lots of misdirection and some fantastic celebrity cameos including an episode where they think that

Sting is a murderer

it has a really nice satisfying ending with a set up for another season that is coming later this year.
                  This sounds amazing!! I'll have to try and find it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    The Morning Show - haven't quite finished this, but honestly finding it a bit tiresome. The first season was insistent on wrangling with #MeToo, focused a bit too much on the wrong stories, and generally handled it all pretty badly. The second season diversifies its bumbling into other topics of social and ethical significance, and again is clattering through them all with the disregard and grace of an angry bull. Will stick it out, but also be glad to see the back of it.
                    This got much worse; characters were inconsistent, the blundering escalated, the insistence of showing 'both sides' of issues became more prominent and quite frankly uncomfortable, and in general I found it very irritating by the end. The warning sign from the off should've been having such a huge talent playing the abuser and not wanting to squander them, but there we go, lessons learned.

In total contrast, I really liked Conversations with Friends. I'd previously really liked Normal People, the other recent adaptation of Sally Rooney's work, and this appealed to me in much the same way. As well as charismatic and engaging, the main characters are well developed and believable, and although it's often quite tragic and sad, it's never driven there in unrealistic, dramatic single moments, instead letting everyday, arguably quite mundane things play out at a good pace. One minor niggle; while all of the central characters having an interest in literature, poetry, theatre and the like does make sense, I feel it's arguably a bit too much of the writer seeping through and makes it prone to getting a little bit on its high horse too often. I still think I enjoyed Normal People more, but I did enjoy this a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                      This sounds amazing!! I'll have to try and find it.
                      it's on Disney in the UK

Being ill with Covid last week gave me the opportunity to catch up on a few shows that id been meaning to watch.

i binged two seasons Witcher it had a few bad episodes the one with the CGI Dragon looked like something out of 90s but was an enjoyable watch with some decent action and monster fighting when they didnt try to overstretch. practical effects worked better than the digital stuff for the most part.

I also watched Squid Games, and i'm at a loss as to why this took off so dramatically its very over acted in lots of places and also not very original, lots of stereotypes of this genre too. Maybe we have been spoilt by this type of stuff by not sticking exclusively western cinema. not saying its not watchable but finding it very unoriginal for all the praise and hype it got.
                      Last edited by Lebowski; 13-06-2022, 13:04.

Comment

Our Flag Means Death: Season 01
                        I like the characters, the pirate setting, the cast and the story arc - a gentleman in every sense of the word, Steede is restless with his normal married life so leaves his family in the dead of night and sets sail on a ship he's bought to become a pirate captain. He's far too posh for the life though and dislikes violence but still finds himself running foul of a naval ship before crossing paths with the infamous Blackbeard, leading to the start of an epic romance tale. The main issue for this comedy is... it's pretty much void of humour. It's compelling and likeable and easy to watch enough to stick with but that one main pillar doesn't land which is a shame. They just can't find the jokes within the set up, every attempt is pretty much over signposted or something you've seen before so good will is mostly how it gets by.

Comment

it's on Disney in the UK

Found it thanks! Watched the first few episodes it's great. The line Martin Short to his dog : Don't stand so close to Sting had me in stiches

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            Our Flag Means Death: Season 01
                            I like the characters, the pirate setting, the cast and the story arc - a gentleman in every sense of the word, Steede is restless with his normal married life so leaves his family in the dead of night and sets sail on a ship he's bought to become a pirate captain. He's far too posh for the life though and dislikes violence but still finds himself running foul of a naval ship before crossing paths with the infamous Blackbeard, leading to the start of an epic romance tale. The main issue for this comedy is... it's pretty much void of humour. It's compelling and likeable and easy to watch enough to stick with but that one main pillar doesn't land which is a shame. They just can't find the jokes within the set up, every attempt is pretty much over signposted or something you've seen before so good will is mostly how it gets by.
                            Really interested in watching this, where is showing it in the UK, It was a Hula exclusive wasn't it and we don't get that in the UK yet

Comment

It's not yet lined up for UK broadcast () but there are rumbles Sky will likely land it

Comment

Don't watch this if you're expecting some sleuthing and deduction.
                                Everything just falls in their lap or are already involved.
                                However, it is a nice gentle cosy murder show with some great characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X