Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been watching Severance on Apple TV. Best thing I've seen in ages. Intriguing premise and it looks great too. Quite a few episodes are directed by Ben Stiller who really seems to know what he's doing.

Comment

If everyone could refrain recommending shows on AppleTV or Shudder, the only services I don't have, that'd be great, okay?

I'm watching The Boys S2 and it's just so wrong, it's great.

I was proper chuckling at Mother's Milk being really upset at nearly dying, not because he nearly died from strangulation, but he nearly died from strangulation by...

a supes' giant dick

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        If everyone could refrain recommending shows on AppleTV or Shudder, the only services I don't have, that'd be great, okay?

I'm watching The Boys S2 and it's just so wrong, it's great.

I was proper chuckling at Mother's Milk being really upset at nearly dying, not because he nearly died from strangulation, but he nearly died from strangulation by...

a supes' giant dick
        That season is pure gold, its a show that just keeps on giving, your gonna have to let me know what you think of season 3 when you get to it. Antony Starr's Home Lander just goes from strength to strength for me, He plays the American born Superman with Narcissism and mummy issues who's unraveling brilliantly.

I love how it lampoons the marvel universe by mixing in the excess of Film stars and gritty real life scandal, it feels exactly like how we would treat these people and exactly what they would be like if they where in our world. All the ****ty Promotions and Product Sponsorship they do feels spot on as dose the stage managed identity's they all have, with PR teams and minders watching and choreographing their every move.

Comment

Watched the first 3 episodes of The Terminal List. It got bad reviews but I'm liking it so far. Pratt is a little out of place but still manages to carry it. Taylor Kitsch dominates most scenes he's in ; he should be way bigger than he is. All in all, it is in no way believable but I like this kind of stuff so I can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

Comment

Shining Vale: Season 01
            Greg Kinnear and Courtney Cox play a couple who have bought a cheap massive house in a town called Shining Vale to try and restart their lives with their two teenage kids after Cox suffered a mental breakdown and cheated on her husband. He is trying to keep the family together whilst she is trying to write the follow up to her hit novel but is still suffering from writers block. She starts to make progress though when the house they live in turns out to be haunted and the being in it wants to use her body. The show is a black comedy style affair and barring the later eps where the humour takes more of a backseat it's surprisingly decent. There is a hint that something isn't right about the town, presumably hence the title, but the first season is pretty much house bound and as that title also suggests there are several Shining nods in the tale.

Comment

Caned a load of telly, forsaking all other entertainment mediums.

Taskmaster Bleeped with the wife.
              We like a short comedy show if we eat our tea watching telly, but the kids keep wandering in, so the bleeped version is perfect.
              Watched S12 and have started S13. I think a S14 is about to hit!
              As always, the joy of the show is seeing the personalities emerge. S12 had the whole team quite supportive of each others' efforts, but the current one has them a smidge more competitive.

WandaVision with my son.
              We're trying to catch up with all the Marvel stuff, so we can start watching the films again, but there's so much of it!
              Finished off WandaVision at the weekend. Finale still made me cry, but that feeling of loss and grief still hits.
              "What is grief, if not love persevering?"

Falcon & Winter Soldier with my son.
              We saw the first couple of episodes and although on the surface it seems more straight-forward than WandaVision, there are actually a whole load of deeper topics being raised. From freedom fighters believing in their cause at any cost, to the treatment of black heroes both then and now. It'll interesting to see which of these themes my son picks up on.

The Boys definitely not with my son!
              Finished S2 and started S3. Brilliant show. It really doesn't pull any punches! In fact, last night, a character punched through someone! I think it works better than the comic, which was a bit too puerile at times (Butcher rough shagging the CIA contact etc.) but still remains proper filthy and gory. I've not even got the the Herogasm episode yet...
              Only criticism is that the comic had a better sense of camaraderie than the show. They're supposed to be this united team, but they all seem to have beef with each other for one reason or another.
              It feels that Hughie's girlfriend being killed by a clumsy supe is a long distant motivation.

Stranger Things S4.
              I said in the main ST my main thoughts on the show.
              It's not a perfect show, but it's been a helluva ride.
              I'm ready for them to wind up before they jump the shark, but despite my early reservations, this series has been as thrilling as any of the others. It's probably got my favourite sequence in the whole show. It was Masterful...

Comment

I'm still enjoying the first series of Blacklist on 5Star a great deal.

As I predicted with Aussie crime series Wanted they've gone straight on to the second one after finishing the first. It is stretching credibility even more this time but it still has the charm of being Aussie rather than US and entertains enough to be able forgive its plot failings.

It is undemanding and bowls along at a good pace, an ideal lighter desert after an hour of the Blacklist which it immediately follows. Two hours good evening's viewing on Freeview, something you can't say about some other days.
                Last edited by fallenangle; 05-07-2022, 12:13.

Comment

Caned a load of telly, forsaking all other entertainment mediums.

Finished S2 and started S3. Brilliant show. It really doesn't pull any punches! In fact, last night, a character punched through someone! I think it works better than the comic, which was a bit too puerile at times (Butcher rough shagging the CIA contact etc.) but still remains proper filthy and gory. I've not even got the the Herogasm episode yet...
                  Only criticism is that the comic had a better sense of camaraderie than the show. They're supposed to be this united team, but they all seem to have beef with each other for one reason or another.
                  It feels that Hughie's girlfriend being killed by a clumsy supe is a long distant motivation.

More people should watch this as its a masterclass in how media manipulation works and focuses a lot on the cult of celebrity. last season showed how social media can be used to ridicule and undermine and this season they pretty much have blown open Trumps playbook. They really have done a great job of showing how the media can manipulate people with the Rallies, Slogans and The Fox news style Hit pieces. The side plots with characters like Bluehawk being metaphors for every Racist scumbag cop in America and Gunpowder showing Americas unhealthy relationship with weapons may be a bit on the nose but played well.

They haven't just gone after the right either with starlight and Huey they are showing how being holy than thou, and that well meaning hand ringing can be just as toxic. I can fully see why this season has a lot of people up in arms as they have systematically torn down and made fun of lots of core America belief systems, and i don't think a lot of the American audience where ready for that. The review bombing it got is great if anything it shows its really wound up a lot of people
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 05-07-2022, 12:56.

Comment

https://twitter.com/theboystv/status/1533162040939859968

Comment

I’m burning through Stranger Things after leaving it hanging around the middle of S2 for ages. I decided to start again from the beginning and it’s been such a ride. I watched S2 and S3 over three days and just started S4. I’m so caught up in that world, it feels like I’ve been watching it for ages.

It’s soooo good but I don’t want to venture into the ST thread until I’m all caught up.

Comment

lol i love that they pinned this tweet, so many of the fans have gone "hey wait what am i watching again?"

They came for the gore and the anti-heros and failed to realise it was political from the start, the whole set up is these micro managed super hero's that are more interested in image money and power than actually serving or helping anyone, it mirrors exactly how governments and corporations behave. Then theirs the whole Starlight set up her getting pulled into this seedy world taken advantage of by people in power and then becoming nothing more than an over sexualised Barbie Doll is pure Harvey Weinstein and the me to movement and that was season 1.

It's always been very anti-capitalist and anti establishment but as soon as they start mirroring trumps tactics and show how media manipulation works, or looking at how the police treat minority's its somehow gone too political

Comment

I think it works better than the comic, which was a bit too puerile at times (Butcher rough shagging the CIA contact etc.) but still remains proper filthy and gory...
                          I shall overlook this comment. This time.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            I shall overlook this comment. This time.
                            Yeah, the comic is great, but I definitely think they've done a good job of taking the story framework and then building their own interpretation of it.

Butcher is a different character in the series. I think he has more issues and that makes him a bit more interesting, IMHO.

As with most of these things based on something else, I'm glad both versions exist and it's interesting to see the different takes.

Comment

I read enough about Herogasm in the comic that I was somewhat anxious that the TV series would ruin itself when it came to adapting it but thankfully they made enough changes to defuse the whole thing into largely being just more of the same for the show

Comment

Another fan of The Boys comic books and also enjoying the tv show ... both playing to the strengths of their platforms.

I finished Barry season 3 last night. Another entertaining one that continues to go to unexpected places and managed to pull off a pretty smart finale. Winkler and Hader both on great form.

Comment

Working...
                                X