Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your vague descriptions about The Staircase made me think it was about Michael Barrymore and Strike it Lucky.

It's actually about an author, Michael Peterson, whose wife is found suspiciously dead at the bottom of a staircase and the resulting investigation and court case.

Might check it out as it sounds interesting.

Comment

I finished The Boys Season 3 last night. Consistently entertaining and nicely set up for S4. Not looking forward to having to subscribe to Prime for another year though ... it's all getting a bit pricey

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        The Staircase
        it never painted Michael as being likely to have been guilty at any point even if it was making it clear he isn't a good person in general.
        Boy I hope we're never on a jury together.

My conclusion after watching the Netflix docs was that he definitely did it, and this more than reaffirmed that, mainly due to the fact that it turns out the documentary producer was infatuated with him and decided to omit the minor detail that she was strangled! The re-enactments of each possibility say it all. Or maybe it was a ****ing owl.

I agree the show was at least a couple of episodes too long. Colin Firth was great though.

I really feel for the kids in all of this.

Comment

With that bit it felt like the show never really emphasised any importance to that detail, seemingly putting much of the weight of her neck injuries on the pool incident, and though the producer was fixated on him the others and the critics/audiences etc who viewed it after went along with it too. That being said, I'm saying this based purely off the Firth dramatisation, I've not seen the documentary on it yet
          Last edited by Neon Ignition; 12-08-2022, 06:56.

Comment

Another episode of The Resort (NowTV), which you have to concentrate on, but are rewarded for doing so.
            Some really clever editing, where the past and the present are juxtaposed against each other to humorous effect like the couple in the past are grunting on top of each other having sex, but the couple in the present are grunting on top of each other because they've just climbed a lift shaft and collapsed in a heap.

I'm getting a lot out of The Lazarus Project (NowTV), with the initial thrill of being able to rewind time being replaced with the sadness of having to relive the same time over and over. Really curious as to where this is going as it's not clear cut who is in the right.

Finished off the final episode of Loki (Disney+) with the family, but seriously, we can't seem to watch these things fast enough.
            This year alone, we've had Moon Knight, Dr. Strange 2, Ms. Marvel, Thor 4 and now She-Hulk!
            From last year, we still have to watch Black Widow, What If...?, Shang-Chi (again), Eternals, Hawkeye and Spider-Man: No Way Home!

I need a new show of my own to watch, though.

Comment

Watched Trainwreck (the Woodstock '99 documentary) on Netflix. I don't know if it's faded from my memory over time, or if I just never really caught wind of everything that happened there, but I felt like I learned a lot from watching it. Plenty of details are pretty shocking and the whole thing made me plenty angry at how, as a festival, it was mismanaged on nearly every level. As far as the documentary goes, it doesn't handle the subject matter particularly well either; I appreciate they're trying to let the story tell itself, but no-one's really challenged to take responsibility, some of the interviewees are woefully ill-equipped to have a serious conversation about its impact, and it is very, very hard to take your serious tone regarding allegations of sexual assault and rape as sincere when you've been casually dropping in footage of bare-chested attendees every 10 minutes.

Comment

That's a really interesting point, because something I've started trying to do is read up a bit around a documentary or fact-based drama and I'm routinely surprised how much is changed/omitted for the sake of a certain narrative.

"Chernobyl" is honest in saying one character is an amalgamation of many scientists for the sake of clarity, but also messes around with the timeline with things like when the helicopter crashed.

"We Will Rock You" is pretty much inaccurate in every scene, making up when they met and split to make a better story.

I need to watch the Woodstock doc, but I'm sensing it's trying to share the blame with the punters as much as the organisers, does that sound about right?

Comment

There seems to be a bit of an issue with that at the moment and maybe it was always there but Netflix is drawing attention to it - what are pitched as documentaries definitely lean towards the sensational and often seem designed to rile people up or maybe make them feel superior to a certain set of incompetent buffoons or whatever but they are definitely emotive and carefully put together not to explore the subject but to provoke reactions. I would take any documentary on Netflix with a huge bucket of salt.

Comment

Yeah, sensational is absolutely the angle here. There's a reasonable case made for the punters' anger and frustration, but crucially it just lets those at the top get away with shrugging their shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      Yeah, sensational is absolutely the angle here. There's a reasonable case made for the punters' anger and frustration, but crucially it just lets those at the top get away with shrugging their shoulders.
                      I think it dose a pretty good job of painting the people at the top as incompetent and greedy and doesn't really let them off the hook. From the unsuitability of the venue (it being 90% concrete with no shade and a 3 mile walk between stages) to the lack of amenities. the guy that's since died that had a lot to do with the original festival came across as Naive to me though and out of touch.

The lawlessness was down to their being no real security its was just a few kids in yellow t-shirts with zero training. No clean up crew meant that it was just a sea of bottles and food wrappers and overflowing bins, it looked like they didn't care about the venue so why would the attendees.

I think it was important to show footage of the hedonistic nature of the festival it was 250.000 young people getting very drunk and acting inappropriately in a lawless environment with zero consequences to their actions. You can see how that led to the large cases of sexual harassment, rapes rioting and violence. Its not right and its something that's not gone away either with festivals your crammed in with loads of people and ive seen a number of people kick off over the years.

For example last weeked i saw the 'Pixies who where headlining a local festival. i got right to the front and about 3 songs in this Guy behind me is kicking off about someone touching his teenage daughter and trying to get the crowd to lynch this guy, nobody around him could confirm or deny to stage staff what had happened and all the stage staff could do was tell him to clam down and come out of the crowd. Later on in the gig right in the middle of the pit some guy just flipped and starts swinging at people too, then walks away with zero consequence to assaulting a number of people.
                      Last edited by Lebowski; 15-08-2022, 16:13.

Comment

The excellent Better call Saul finished last night after 6 seasons, fantastic characters and it really fleshed out a lot of the cast from breaking bad. Gus and mikes relationship gets a lot of airtime as do the Salamanca drug cartel.

They introduced some fantastic new characters like Kim and Nacho that have added tension as you dont know their fate as neither show up though the course of breaking bad. It was a real wild ride from start to finish and it goes beyond Breaking Bad in meaningful ways to show what happens to characters after they got untangled from Walter White. If you haven't seen either their both fantastic pieces of television and really interesting looks at the motivations of why people do the things they do. Id start with breaking bad though.

Saul's transition from con man to lawyer is a fantastic ride as he really struggles to leave his old life behind him, his schemes and showboating are always a treat to watch too. Breaking bad is also about a transition Walters bland boring awful life is flipped upside down when he finds out he is dying of cancer, Watching someone decide they have nothing to loose and aren't going to play by the rules is fascinating to watch.

We finished Season 2 Of The Great this week too, Amazing cast very funny and also some great drama, it can be quite tense at times as it feels like half the cast are seconds away from murdering each other at any point and the main two protagonists are quite littraly at each others thoats.

it's made me look up the history of the real Catherine the great and i was surprised to see how much of it was based on actual events and how much of the cast is based on real people. its billed as occasionally true and its a comedy first and foremost but this still surprised me.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 05-09-2022, 13:24.

Comment

Better Call Saul was superb. For me, it was very much a show of two eras: the Chuck seasons and the Breaking Bad seasons. By beginning the show with its own story and new characters, it was able to be its own thing right from the start rather than feeling like just an extension of Breaking Bad. And then bit by bit, it was able to bring the show a little closer to the source while still with all the strengths of this new show itself and that really worked for me. The character of Jimmy is wonderful and Kim really stole the show too in ways I didn't expect, especially in the later seasons.

The ending was interesting in that, for me, it felt it wrapped everything up a few episodes ago and so the final episodes felt like epilogue. I think another show would have fumbled this approach but it really worked here, giving a real wrap up and a rewarding yet unsensational ending. It felt quite genuine.

A great show with a strong finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Better Call Saul was superb. For me, it was very much a show of two eras: the Chuck seasons and the Breaking Bad seasons. By beginning the show with its own story and new characters, it was able to be its own thing right from the start rather than feeling like just an extension of Breaking Bad. And then bit by bit, it was able to bring the show a little closer to the source while still with all the strengths of this new show itself and that really worked for me. The character of Jimmy is wonderful and Kim really stole the show too in ways I didn't expect, especially in the later seasons.

The ending was interesting in that, for me, it felt it wrapped everything up a few episodes ago and so the final episodes felt like epilogue. I think another show would have fumbled this approach but it really worked here, giving a real wrap up and a rewarding yet unsensational ending. It felt quite genuine.

A great show with a strong finish.
                            his last big con was great

i loved how exasperated he got the DA Negotiator with his bargaining, getting his sentence down to seven years from 180 was crazy. He had them from the start too when the DA Negotiator said he had never lost a case it let Saul know that he didn't take risky cases to court, all he had do was to put that doubt in his head about whether they would win ("i just need one jury member to believe me").

Him blowing it all up and taking the fall took me by surprise but he got Kim out of the cross-hairs and that was his plan all along he takes the fall so she doesn't spend the rest of her life with Howard's death hanging over her, its his way of killing off Saul for good and atoning for his sins.

The life they both lived after the events of breaking bad where almost like they where in purgatory Kim puts herself in permanent document review working on data entry and copy setting for that super dull pipe company, which is massively symbolic as its the punishment Howard gave her rather than firing her.

Jimmy working in Cinabon with no friends or family watching tapes of his past glory's and constantly in fear of being caught with the police radio always on in the background. It may not seem like a happy ending at first but Jimmy's not living in fear and hiding, he looks happy in prison hes a local folk hero with friends and company, Kim is volunteering at free legal aid and looks a lot happier too as shes doing something she loves.

Theirs no reunion like a lot of people wanted between Jimmy and Kim they where never going to be together but then they never should of been as they brought out the worst in each other.

Last edited by Lebowski; 17-08-2022, 15:16.

Comment

The time hasn't been right to watch Better Call Saul Season 6 yet but I can't wait to savour it. Only thing I'm weighing up is whether or not to re-watch 1-5 beforehand as I've forgotten a fair bit over the years. Either way I can't wait and loving all the positivity here.

But I did watch Trainwreck on Netflix. Tbh I knew nothing about Woodstock '99 ... let alone how bad it went. Beyond the 'spectacle' of a ****up on a gigantic scale it's interesting to see crowd mentality in full effect and how people can behave so differently (a) in a pack and (b) in an environment that might be perceived as lawless. I did laugh at Fred Durst when he came off stage (after wilfully cranking the crowd into a level of mayhem) and the first thing he said was along the lines of 'that wasn't our fault' ... the question put to him wasn't even remotely searching The organisers were worse still, taking no responsibility and reporting a picture nothing like what was really happening throughout the whole weekend.

Most interesting thing about the film was the guy speaking in defence of the kids and how they acted. They were mistreated and exploited and they weren't having it. This wasn't justifying what they did (and certainly not the genuinely vile things that some did) ... but the organisers of the event screwed the pooch royally.

Oh, and keep an eye out for the perfect live-action Beavis

Comment

Watched another episode of "The Resort" (NowTV) with the missus and it's definitely heating up as we get a bit more exposition, but we still don't know what happened!

I started "From" (NowTV) last night (thanks to Neon's suggestion) and it's a decent start with a bit of mystery and a lot of peril.
                                It's quite grisly at one point early on. Deffo want to see more.

Comment

Working...
                                X