Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished The Bear last night. Just wonderful. Truly, truly special. The whole cast were just so on point. Cannot wait for S2.

Comment

My favourite Radiohead track at the end, too.

Comment

Watched the first two episodes of the BBC's new WW2 drama series: SAS Rogue Heroes on the iPlayer yesterday.

Normally I'm an avid consumer of any WW2 stuff, drama or documentary but this good looking but otherwise deadly dull, eccentric and at times theatrical depiction of the formation of the SAS during the North African campaign left me cold.

Four more hour long episodes to go; I'll give the third one a try but if it doesn't engage me more I won't bother with the remainder.

Monday Edit

Much better episodes 3 - 6, more action less talking.

However one thing I did not like throughout was the use of modern contemporary heavy rock music. Too loud, too long and often annoying. It detracted from the atmosphere rather than added to it. As a 'creative' element its also far from original and actually something of a cliche.
        Last edited by fallenangle; 04-11-2022, 03:00.

Comment

We've watched the first couple of episodes of The Peripheral which we've been really enjoying. Funny that I'd just watched Kick-Ass at the weekend and was pondering not seeing Chloe Grace Moretz much, then this popped up.

Comment

I was going to mention that ^.

I've not seen The Peripheral but I'd seen the trailer and thought I'd recognised her in that; checked afterwards and I was correct.

08.11.22 Edit

Given up on C4's Nine Perfect Strangers which has now been shuffled off to a late night time slot.

I don't know which is more dull and in the Australian vernacular: up itself, the programme or this Guardian review but it gives you a flavour of the problem I had with it.

Pretentious chick lit adapted badly to chick-centric TV.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 08-11-2022, 13:01.

Comment

The Watcher: Season 01
              A family buys a large house that lies beyond their means and then receives a letter in their mailbox from The Watcher, a person who knows what they're up to and is trying to scare them out. The neighbours all look on and show intimate knowledge of the property also leading the couple through a tale rife with paranoia, suspense and thrills...

Well, you'd think that was the case but no. Instead we get a 90 minute concept drawn out over 7 hours as it spins through every single possible scenario in a suspense and logic free series riddled with poor characterisations and plot holes before landing on an ending that fails to satisfy on every level... for them to now announce a second season that will continue its drivel storyline. A solid cast wasted on a vaccuum of quality writing.

Comment

The Rings of Powah

I enjoyed it very much.

F is for Family

Watch this, or I swear to god I’ll put you through that ****ing wall!

Comment

The Baby
                  Starts as a black comedy but very quickly loses this element as it dives deeper into the situation of a baby that has dark outcomes occur around it. It was okay as a one off kind of thing.

Comment

I finished season 2 of Only Murders in the Building. The plot is all over the place. At times it feels like an improv sesh where they're making it up as they go along. But it's not really about the twists and turns. There's enough charm and escapism to make it worthwhile. I do have quite a soft spot for it and will defo be watching S3.

Then, and I can't believe it took me so long, I finally got started on the 6th and final season of Better Call Saul. Three eps in and I'm loving it. Everything about it

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I finished season 2 of Only Murders in the Building. The plot is all over the place. At times it feels like an improv sesh where they're making it up as they go along. But it's not really about the twists and turns. There's enough charm and escapism to make it worthwhile. I do have quite a soft spot for it and will defo be watching S3.
                      I enjoyed S1, but felt cheated with the angle of it being a murder mystery where some amateur sleuths put the pieces together.
                      Turns out the pieces are handed to them and they're all already involved.
                      Thankfully the interaction of the characters carried it.

I found S2 a chore, to be honest. Their quirks were wearing thin and there was Deus Ex Machina seemingly every episode.
                      I hard eye-rolled when

After having the parrot in the flat for days/weeks, all of a sudden a secret door opens to push the plot on.

I don't think I'll bother with S3, tbh.

I've been watching Gangs of London S2 and although it hasn't been as good as S1, it's still gripping enough to follow and some tense action scenes. I'm watching it weekly on NowTV.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I hard eye-rolled when
                        Yeah, there are a few too many convenient moments like that. Although I did like the idea that

The Arconia has a sordid past and secrets with its architecture

Haven't seen Gangs of London yet but heard good things.

Comment

Ted Lasso: Season 01
                          It's about football so I don't even know why I really gave it a go but I'm glad I did. So much less football than I'd feared and so much goodness, really wins you over as it trundles through its 10 eps.

Comment

Louie Season 3
                            Fantastic season this. Great storyline involving Louie potentially taking over The Late Show from David Letterman. It's made super fun thanks to a CBS exec / mentor to Louie played by David Lynch. Tons of great moments.

Better Call Saul Season 6
                            For a show where you already know where it's heading this kept me entertained from start to finish. Vince Gilligan and his team know how to write brilliant characters. Top drawer tv.

Comment

Watching the latest series (3) of Aussie crime /road-trip drama Wanted now shuffled off to a later night slot on ITV4.

Two strangers intervene in a deadly carjacking only to be swept up in a chase across Australia.

Not brilliant, just like the previous two series, and stretching credibility all the time but still an undemandingly entertaining, well enough made watch with good performances, particularly from the two main chalk and cheese female characters.
                              Last edited by fallenangle; 17-11-2022, 14:07.

Comment

Pepsi, Where’s My Jet?

Pepsi runs a points catalogue thingy - collect Pepsi labels to redeem knickknacks like T-shirts, sunglasses, leather jackets and… a harrier jet???

A young man figures out a way to get the 7,000,000 points needed to buy the jet and teams up with an investor to make his dream a reality. Cash in the bag, right? WRONG! Unfortunately for them, Pepsi was neither serious nor willing to cash anyone’s bank without a fight.

2/4 episodes in and I’m enjoying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X