This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louie Theroux - Shooting Joe Exotic

This 90-minute special sees Louis Theroux travel to America to investigate the story of a man who has become one of the most controversial and captivating icons of recent times: the gun-toting, self-described 'gay hillbilly' and 'Tiger King' Joe Exotic.

A decade on from when he first met Joe for the documentary America’s Most Dangerous Pets, Louis returns to Oklahoma, responding to a direct call from Joe to tell the ‘real story’ and to explore the saga of an animal hoarder turned convicted felon. Joe now resides in a federal prison, having been found guilty of a murder-for-hire plot and multiple animal cruelty charges. But rather than living as a pariah, Joe is now a media phenomenon, the object of international obsession for pundits, celebrities and viewers, with a well-funded campaign team attempting to win him a presidential pardon.

Looking back at his original documentary, Louis reflects on hours of unseen footage and sets out to understand who the real Joe Exotic is and how he used his considerable charm and wiles to assemble a vast menagerie of animals and humans, all roped into a grand project of vanity and deception. Meeting old friends and family members of Joe’s, Louis picks apart the true crime story of how Joe came to be convicted. He also tells the story of Joe’s captivating charisma and the way in which it became a key ingredient in a viral television sensation, with life-changing consequences for all those involved - most of all Carole Baskin, originally the object of Joe’s vitriol, who found herself the target of his murder-for-hire plot and a mass trolling campaign.

He digs deep into Joe’s family, unearthing the origin story of Joe’s pathology and laying bare an only-in-America saga that is part crime story, part media spectacle, part animal rights campaign but ultimately a 21st-century fable of a cowboy-cum-cult leader whose very fragility became a source of power - a power which, in some respects, persists to this day

Watched this on BBC2 last night and it depressed me to the point of near tears at various points. Animal cruelty upsets me so much. I don't understand it.

Comment

The whole 'industry' he was in is horrid, the Netflix show kind focused on him given how much showboating he did but there's a guy much more successful and worse than him and Baskin is no better either.

Comment

I've not seen the Tiger King show, heard it's good though. Yes, the industry is sickening.

Comment

I finished WandaVision. Despite not being overly familiar with the greater goings on in the Marvel films I absolutely loved it. Very simply, the longing to exist in the cosy world of a sit-com to escape the harshness of reality is a strong set-up. I really loved that. I thought the writing and production values were amazing too. There's a huge amount of love for the source material on show. But most amazing of all is that someone not only has this idea but got the green light on it. Fair play to Disney. Risky project. I just hope they continue to be as daring with their original content on Plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I just hope they continue to be as daring with their original content on Plus.
            Not as risky or daring, but we've been thoroughly enjoying The Falcon And The Winter Soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Not as risky or daring, but we've been thoroughly enjoying The Falcon And The Winter Soldier.
              I'll be taking a look, for sure

Comment

I was meant to watch the MASTERCHEF final last night but, instead, there was loadsa shid on about Prince Philip.

You'd think he'd died or summat.

Comment

The broadcasters have gone overboard with the PP HRH death stuff - at one stage all five main terrestrial channels were doing extended potted histories of him. They've clearly been gearing up for this - like vultures circling a dying man.

He was a significant national figure but this is over the top and then some. The coverage of the 41 minute 41 gun salute today has been embarrassing, the commentators ran out of new things to say after about five minutes.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 12-04-2021, 12:07. Reason: typo

Comment

Which is neatly where this comes in, tv stations have grossly overrated the publics interest in the story

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...aints-hit-peak
                      Which is neatly where this comes in, tv stations have grossly overrated the publics interest in the story
                      It was absolutely taking the piss

Comment

I know, I spoke to Gregg about it, he's furious. They were all ready, the cameras were rolling, the fresh produce was out, the viewers were waiting. Half a ton of monkfish went manky, Johnny Torode said to us.

Had to be binned 'cos of Prince Philip. They're crossing their fingers the Queen doesn't go this week otherwise they'll lose more fish. It's been devastating to all the chefs involved.

Comment

Line of Duty continues to be excellent with a proper cliffhanger ending last night.

Comment

Lost: Season 03 Part II
                            The missus is still 'lost', enjoying the character stuff but really struggling to keep track of the island stuff so I'll likely tell her what the island is before we watch the next run as it still leaves most stuff a secret that she cares about. The last few eps were nice to see again and one thing that definitely landed for her - Not Penny's Boat

Comment

Caving to peer pressure, we've just started Line of Duty. First season was done within a couple of nights, so we'll probably be fully up to date before the month's out. I'm still not sure I actually like it, but it's watchable for sure.

Comment

I finished Mr Robot last night and that’s going to take a long time to process.

Comment

Working...
                                X