This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    That conversation through time made my jaw drop.
    Yep, that was really well done and I think that's what really sealed it for me. The show spent a long time planting many elements individually, very separate from each other and also very separate from the source material. And there was a point where I wondered if that was the way the show would always be - almost like vignettes set in the same world. And it would have been fine because each part was very cool on its own. But the last few episodes just brought everything together and it made for a much greater finish. I wasn't expecting it to be that coherent!

Comment

Finished Queen's Gambit (Netflix), which was very watchable, but not top-tier.

I really want to finish the final season of Into the Badlands ​(Prime), but I'm struggling to get into it, which is a shame as it's been great, especially the first season.

Comment

I usually wait till the end of the seasons to post but having just finished episode 3 of season 2 of Apple's For All Mankind - if you can access this someway do so, it's damned good.

Comment

Rick and Morty: Season 04 Part II
          Finally got round to finishing the season, after all the fan moaning I found... nothing wrong with it. Really isn't any different than previous seasons, they just need to go back to releasing it one go.

Comment

Jupiter’s Legacy

Total garbage yet compelling. We watched it all and then said what a crock of ****. Will probably watch the next season.

Good Girls season 4

Still pretty good, not top tier though

Comment

Really wanted to like the BBC's The Pursuit Of Love but I didn't. The depiction of a vacuous class of people leading their vacuous lives in the 1930s from a novel written by a prime example of that very class. I just couldn't have given a damn about any of the characters.

Exquisite looking, Lily James in particular, quality performances all round and some great and often unexpected musical content. But when you don't care about the people it just feels very, very hollow. Only the ending hit home effectively and by then it was too late.

Comment

Did anyone watch the Friends reunion thing?

I want to watch it; I admit, I was a big fan of it when I was a kid - but I can't stand James Corden. Is he actually in the narrative of the special, or just in the breaks etc.? Like if I can skip him then I'll check it out, if not, then I'll just forget about it.

Comment

Apparently he's the host. Not seen it yet (missus is keen to) but from what I've read it's exactly what you'd expect. Sanitised, safe, lacking in noteworthy moments, built largely around appeasing the stars than giving any depth and the low points are massive lows... not sure if I strayed into describing the show itself there.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    Apparently he's the host. Not seen it yet (missus is keen to) but from what I've read it's exactly what you'd expect. Sanitised, safe, lacking in noteworthy moments, built largely around appeasing the stars than giving any depth and the low points are massive lows... not sure if I strayed into describing the show itself there.
                    Oh, maybe it wasn't what I thought it was going to be?

I figured they would do an episode. Like a contiguous 21 minute show with a pair of ad-breaks, like the original.

Comment

By the sounds it's mostly them just sat around answering very basic questions and table reading fan moments for the most part. I knew the bar was set when I saw it mentioned that Cordon introduces Justin Beiber out dressed as a potato at one point. Celeb actors guesting on the show famously found the cast to be arrogant ***** on set so it's been more interesting to see the list of absentees from the special, if you're Paul Rudderless then it says a lot, he's like the Tom Hanks of B-Tier.

Comment

Nobody cusses Rudd.

Outside. Now.

Comment

Unless Hanks does and then everyone will turn on the Rudd...

... nah, Hanks never would

Comment

For All Mankind: Season 02
                            Probably because of the slower passing of time within the show and how it holds off on its main conflict for so long this overall probably isn't quite as good as the first season but it's still incredibly strong stuff. There was only one character who irritated as it went along but with the third season tackling the 90's next we'll be leaping along with some interesting possibilities.

Friends: The Reunion
                            Exactly as expected, a mountain of padding and the cast required to do very little and say about as much too. A handful of relevant guests from the show who are close to not permitted to speak at all. There are no interesting reveals and the whole thing exists merely to put them in the same area as each other, even Perry isn't present for all the sections. Only Matt LeBlanc and to a lesser extent Schwimmer come across as genuine to any degree. The Fresh Prince reunion showed how these things should be done, this was a lazy ego project.

Comment

Never really liked Friends. Came to it late on about the umpteenth complete repeat runs on C4 or E4 and whilst I watched most episodes and was entertained enough I never warmed to any of the characters at all. I had the impression that the only reason most guys watched it was for Jennifer Aniston.

Give me The Big Bang Theory in preference every time; all likeable, grounded, well rounded characters and correcting almost everything wrong with Friends but not too proud to reuse all the good elements from that template.

I'd argue it also had superior writing and was, and still is even with repeated viewings, much funnier at its best.
                              Last edited by fallenangle; 01-06-2021, 11:29.

Comment

Both kind of fill the same spot, they're like comfort viewing but I'd agree about Big Bang being the better of the two. Both ran for years longer than they should have but I'm really hard pressed to recall anything that's actually funny in Friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X