Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, well, if you're not going to get too enthusiastic about it, then I will.

Dark is brilliant. Fantastic, even. My partner was curious as to why I was so excited about S3, so I ended up re-watching seasons 1 and 2 with her before we went into it, which just totally cemented it in my mind as one of the best things I've seen in a long time. It's so beautifully shot, scored, and performed throughout, and the casting director deserves all of the awards for the very specific challenge they have had to manage throughout it.

For a show this complex, there was every opportunity for a last season and specifically the ending itself to completely and utterly fall apart. I'd have been unsurprised and would have likely looked past it, but honestly I think they stuck the landing just about as well as they could've. Some very specific ending thoughts -

SO MUCH of the ending hinged on the scenes involving 90s Tannhauser and his sons' family - total plot unknowns up until the very last episode that you have no investment into - and yet I think they did brilliantly!

Loved it.

Comment

It's definitely good, I think S3 drops just below the first two because

the first two seasons were beautifully orchestrated and delivered runs of the characters in multiple time periods crossing time and each others lives in a really clever way whilst building up to the apocalypse moment. The last moment of S2 where it took a hard veer to the left by introducing a parallel world was a dice roll and meant S3 spent a fair bit of its time explaining a new concept which in turn then gets time splinters and a third world introduced in the last episode.

I may be missing something but two things I was unsure of where how Claudia was able to deviate herself from the time loop as a parallel version visiting another world was shown to create splintered timelines but Old Martha demonstrates to her younger self how these splinters are also part of the loop itself. If the out of loop Claudia was successful it means she was always successful so the loop would immediately disappear as soon as she thought of her plan. Essentially the plan makes sense but the causality made less sense.

Likewise, I would have preferred if Jonas and Martha has survived in the Prime Earth at the end as a leftover and result of their actions. Them ceasing to have ever existed is paradox stuff meaning they never went back to save Tannheuser's family meaning the loop is immediately recreated

That is all pure nerd stuff though where I may missed something that covers it. Seriously, very good show.

Comment

I've been wanting to try Dark but it's in German so we'd have to watch it with English dub+Japanese subs.

It looks too scary for her so I should just watch it by myself in German with the English subs. That's the best idea.

Mind you, my wife was really into a Brazillian programme called 3%. I'd occasionally watch an episode or two with her and could get by reasonably well with the Japanese subtitles and my GCSE Spanish skills and she'd explain any difficult stuff. But I wasn't so invested in that programme and she was properly binging it.

Comment

The Office: Season 06
          Not as good as the previous runs, there's lots of good stuff in this one but it goes around the houses story wise with multiple arcs to pad out its extended run.

Comment

Finished the last season of Justified.

Wow, what a way to go out. Absolutely awesome show, I loved every season.

If you haven't seen this, in the famous words of the great Molly Meldrum, "do yourself a favour", and go binge this show now.

Comment

Comment

I watched the first ep of Castle Rock S2 last night. I liked season 1 but didn't love it (overly elaborate storytelling with not enough satisfaction/resolution) but this feels a bit more grounded and tradish. That's not to say it won't change ... but it is off to a great start. The Annie Wilkes character is brill to begin with and she's played brilliantly here. The other little plot bits are fizzing away nicely too. Hoping it stays on form. It's good to have another season of the show.

Comment

Having exhausted all 7 seasons of Brooklyn NINE-NINE!!! the wife and I are working our way back through Modern Family.

I used to watch it all the time but stopped around season 7. Currently up to the season 4 midpoint and it's still fantastic. Funny, sharp and heartwarming at the same time.

The number of guest stars they managed to get was also impressive and the down-to-earth performances and lack of a laugh track doesn't draw attention to them (unlike, for example, Friends where a guest would have the audience whooping and cheering).

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                    unlike, for example, Friends where a guest would have the audience whooping and cheering
                    Oof, yeah, I hate that ... like Will & Grace ... once Eltski turns up it's game over.

Comment

Just watched an old THE KRYPTON FACTOR on YouTube. Awwwww. It's a great format, it needs to come back, sick of braindead shoit like TIPPING POINT!!!

Comment

The Crown.

Thought I’d hate it. I don’t. The best episodes are the ones where there’s some kind of real-world issue beyond the soap operas of royal life. It’s very well produced and acted.

Comment

Umbrella Academy S2. Beautiful twisting and turning, equal if not better than S1.

Comment

We've been watching through all 14 seasons of "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia" I kind of wish we had seen it sooner, we've both really loved it.

Comment

The Office: Season 07
                              It's still awkward watching those clumsy last few episodes bring the season to a close after Michael leaves, the main bulk of the run is solid and his exit and its build up are just perfect.

Lost: Season 02
                              By the power of Greyskull we finally managed to bring the second run to an end after an insane amount of time. The missus still struggles with the Island stuff, preferring the flashbacks, but I really enjoyed the arcs in the latter end of the season which replay well knowing how things pan out and so how the context of events falls differently with that knowledge.

Comment

Finished Dark. Oh my gooseberries, the casting in it is phenomenal. I really enjoyed even though it deffo needs a second watch. Fair play to the writers, that's a lot of plot to juggle.

Comment

Working...
                                X