X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m having my breakfast here, dude.

Comment

Thread stickied because it's one we use a lot.

I watched the Red Bull Soapbox Race on Dave and thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks.

Comment

The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist (on iPlayer). One for fans of the movie: basically a long sequence of interviews with writer, director, actors, special FX people, sound people, the woman who did the demon voice and even the guy in charge of the BBFC at the time. Absolutely loved it. 80 minutes of informative bliss on a special film.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          Watched the recent Barrymore doc. Remind me not to take a swim in his pool.
          It was very sad to see the affect it's had on the victim's dad and brother. Justice needs to be served.

Comment

I've been watching the adaptation of Stephen King's 'The Outsider', which is really well made and enjoyable. The story is like something from the X-Files only far more intricate due to it being over 10 episodes. Everything about the production is really considered and not annoying in any way. I like how the cast suit their roles perfectly.

Comment

I watched The Morning Show on Apple TV. Didn't really want to watch it. My wife put it on. But actually it was really good. A morning entertainment news show loses one of its anchors (Steve Carell) in a misconduct scandal and his co-host, Jennifer Aniston, who was on the verge of getting axed before this happens, kind of loses it in an attempt to control her position. So it's quite topical in that it's all really about the fallout of the Me Too movement and the chaos behind the scenes when someone is accused.

The show oozes money. It looks expensive and has a really expensive cast. I know Apple have all the money in the world and could make hundreds of these shows and still have money but I'm struggling to see the financial motives here. Hard to see it paying off in any real money terms. Still, a good show.

Comment

Last night's Curb was so good I woke up laughing this morning ... when Larry discovers he's dating a 'yo-yo'

Comment

I was so pleased that after 10 years waiting I am finally getting to see The Pacific the sister WW2 drama to Band Of Brothers.

Its being shown on what is now called the Paramount Network ('Free'view) Thursdays at 21.00.

Have to say that whilst the action sequences are impressive and feel authentic the drama is far less involving than Band Of Brothers. I re-watched that last year for the first time in ages and it still hit home for me. The Pacific however somehow misses the mark by using fairly anonymous actors who, once they're soaked to the skin, covered in mud and fighting in the murky Pacific islands jungles, often at night are almost entirely anonymous as characters too.

The best episode has actually been the one in Australia where the US marines, fresh from the desperate fight at Guadalcanal went for R&R.

Good watch, well worth seeing but Band Of Brothers trumps it in almost every department .

Comment

Good run wrapping up on three seasons over the course of the weekend:

Locke and Key: Season 01

I wish this leaned more into the horror potential it has, it's fairly light stuff but the potential to be more creepy is clear from the outset. There's some frustration too with the decision making of characters but broadly it's small stuff in an entertaining run. I'm not sure how many seasons it would hold together before becoming too strained but there's at least enough mileage to get another two out of it so a solid opening run overall.

Evil: Season 01
                    This is effectively X-Files with demons. It follows a team of three where one is a priest in training, one is an atheist tech analyst and the other is an atheist criminal psychologist who are employed by the church to investigate claims of possession and miracles to determine if they are genuine or not. As a result a fair few cases end in a fence sitting position as you'd expect and towards the end of the season events get a little over contrived but broadly the show pulls everything together well enough so that everything fits the set up and stops it becoming too much of a procedural. This was also quite an easy to watch show and at 13 eps it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Brooklyn Nine Nine: Season 02

I feel like I'm faced with two scenarios with this. The first is that it's a show that grows into maturity as the seasons go on whilst the second is that its a consistent show throughout. It's been a while since I watched the first season and I found the second run to be similar experience where it's light, easy to watch and the cast are likeable enough but it's never funny. Some stuff is overplayed and over relied on like Boyle's obsession with Jake or Diaz's straight faced approach to everything whilst other stuff constantly feels like safe for network pulled punches humour. I'm going to try the third run at some point, there's potential with the set up but so far it's just kind of there.

Comment

Not watched but definitely watching: Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone starts tomorrow on SyFy. Really looking forward to it.

Comment

Can he break the trend of every single Twilight Zone except the OG being terrible?!

Anyone remember that one with Forrest Whittaker? That was bloody hilarious.

The 80s one had a few cool episodes, the one with Bruce Willis in the future was decent.

Comment

The original Rod Serling TV series was brilliant.

Comment

Probably my favourite TV show of all time @Atticus

Be interesting to see what this is like. OT, Black Mirror is trite nonsense imo - "Imagine if you had to pay a subscription for air!", that sort of rubbish.

Comment

But imagine you did!

Comment

Brooklyn 99 is great the whole way through. Stick with it, but don't binge. It's a one a day thing

Finished Sabrina. More dark. Less humour than previous series. Good ending. Pretty sure another series will work.

Can't remember if I said, but also finished The Good Place. The last episode made me hold back tears. So good.

Comment

Working...
                                X