This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    Finished Dark. Oh my gooseberries, the casting in it is phenomenal. I really enjoyed even though it deffo needs a second watch. Fair play to the writers, that's a lot of plot to juggle.
    And, without spoiling anything, they managed to wrap everything up so cleanly.

Comment

Finished Castle Rock Season 2 last night. Not sure the two main influences worked perfectly together but when you've got Tim Robbins and Lizzie Caplan on board as Annie Wilkes and Pop Merrill it's hard not to be carried along. I enjoyed it more that season 1 ... it felt a little bit closer to what I was expecting and hoping for from the show. But one story was stronger than the other ... and the final episode sums that up perfectly

the last half hour of the season was outstanding

Comment

Watched the new BBC series Harlots first two episodes on iPlayer yesterday.

Won't be watching the rest; tries to do too many things and falls between all of them: not bawdy enough, not funny, not witty, not shocking, not thought provoking and just not interesting.

Result a purposed designed historic costumed drama vehicle used to employ a whole slew of actresses and a few token ethnic characters. At times awful music as well.

Comment

Umbrella Academy S2. Wonderful.
          Don't **** with cats. Mental
          Making a murderer. Making a meal of this more like it. Gave up. So slow.

Comment

Sad but WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE. Knackered after a coach trip to a blazing hot lockish-downy Morecambe with not much to do but sit on benches and drink 99p, 330ml cans of craft beer from the seafront ALDI cos they're almost the same green as maybe 7-Up or Sprite so the rozzers won't really care. Only had three, btw, but it was fooking BAKING(!)

(mate, I'm normally milky-white but today I look like David Dickinson with a scabrous forehead).

But I digress. I think Clarko is brill as host and he moves shid along much quicker than Tarrant ever did (the pathetically easy, tedious early quezzies are sped up quite nicely by J. C.)

J.C. That's it. The reincarnation of Christ as a gameshow host.

Chris Tarrant = either A. Computerized Tomography, or B. Christopher Ulysses Nigel Tarrant.

Whatever ya pick, I'll pop it in the pick n' mix.

Comment

I started watching Moonlighting from the beginning last night. This was one of my fave shows when I was in senior school ... it felt nicely grown up, a perfect slice of slick 80s escapism. The feature-length pilot, as with most pilots, was a bit by-the-numbers and not yet into the final shape of the show, but the chemistry between Shepherd and Willis is there straight away and the Al Jarreau tune fits the show like a glove.

Along with Cheers this has my favourite opening credits too. Pretty sure Stephen Merchant is a big fan too as his show Hello Ladies paid a really nice homage to that era/style of opening credits ...

Comment

Awwwww, mate, that TUNE!!!! So bloody romantic n' cool n' nice n' warm, I fell in love with that show since day one!!!!

PS: Check out 'Easy' by Al Jarreau on YouTube. Absolute jazz-funk banger!!!!

Comment

Any Fauda watchers here? I need to get started on season 2 but season 3 just aired in Israel and should be on Netflix later this year.

Comment

Started watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia last week. Only 15 years late to the party. On season 3 so far. Love it. A decent binge lies ahead.

Comment

I only watched about three episodes and it didn't grab me. Should I have given it longer or did I get a decent taste of the show and it's just not for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I only watched about three episodes and it didn't grab me. Should I have given it longer or did I get a decent taste of the show and it's just not for me?
                        Hmm, you're in a pickle. I watch from season 1 and so far, I enjoy these scumbags. When Danny DeVito comes in, it get to another level.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                          Hmm, you're in a pickle. I watch from season 1 and so far, I enjoy these scumbags. When Danny DeVito comes in, it get to another level.
                          That’s one of the reasons I was asking. I see him in the shots and yet he’s not in the episodes I watched so wasn’t sure if the show evolves into something that might suit me a bit more.

Comment

Always Sunny is a hard one, I'm up to the eighth season and to be honest I mostly watch it out of morbid curiousty to see what extremes they go to. It's rarely that funny but is fascinating that it's run for so long and at the point I'm at now has become... I want to say less cynical? Everyone's still awful in it but the show feels like it does a better job at conveying that it's just the characters and not the world they live that are reprehensible which makes them the butt of the joke more.

Comment

Yeah, it more sounds like it’s just not my thing, which is fine. I think at my stage and given everything going on, I need something a bit more wholesome.

I have finally started watching The Mandalorian and I really like it. There is something very old fashioned about it, like it’s a bit Knight Rider or something from that era. Simple and episodic. It leans heavily on Star Wars In the first eps but establishes its own space pretty quickly. I like it.

Comment

Always Sunny is one of my favourite sitcoms, I've watched it since season 2 was contemporary (2006 or so I think).

Season 1 is great but raw, season 2 hones the formula and adds DeVito who really completed the ensemble, then 3, 4 and 5 are all extremely strong for me with only a couple of missteps.

There is good stuff beyond that, but it starts to go on a serious slide in quality. 6 is OK, 7 not great, 8 quite poor, then from there it's really just the very odd episode which is OK.

The problem is that for the first few series it was written by the stars and the more recent series are written by others. Plus the classic issue of simply wearing a format down into the ground and using up all the good ideas.

I love it, though. Earlier seasons are often, so, so funny and the characters really resonate with me. It's one that I stick on when I've had a bad day to watch a classic episode for the hundredth time and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

I wish they had killed it years ago however. At this point there's a good 50% to 60% of it which is subpar.

Comment

Working...
                                X