Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't watch much telly and not seen a British Drama in probably thirty years but wanted to give Des a go and glad I did.

Brought back loads of memories seeing it all unfold in the papers and news, good piece of acting by Tennant as well.

Wallpaper looked correct, nice seeing the old cars, loads of smoking too, only critical point were the press cameras, Praktica MTL 3's weren't widely used by the press.
    Wardrobe dept did a good job too, nice to see no-one wearing sports clothes that don't do sports and the women's hairstyles great.

Still can't believe the verdict though he was as mad as a box of frogs.

Comment

Just Good Friends: Series 02
      This was definitely a weaker run, mostly I think due to the ideas drying up because there's only so much you can do with the setup. It hung much more heavily on having Penny be a pain with Vince and on the wider family which was a shame as it minimised screen time between Vince and Daphne. The Xmas special it ends on though, woof, absolutely awful on every possible level.

Just Good Friends: Series 03
      This was a better run thanks to a slight shake up of all the characters circumstances which meant a bit more humour could be dragged out in places. Only real downer was the finale which tries to paint a happy picture but as an ending where the wicked ex-wife of Vince gets almost everything she wants which really robs it of some oomph and joy because Vince stops being the sly, double dealing type which even Penny calls him out on.

We also tried a couple of episodes of Gavin and Stacey - sweet jesus, it's even more painful that Corden has had his level of success having now properly witnessed some of his crowning glory. What complete and utter ****

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
        Don't watch much telly and not seen a British Drama in probably thirty years but wanted to give Des a go and glad I did.

Brought back loads of memories seeing it all....................only critical point were the press cameras, Praktica MTL 3's weren't widely used by the press.
        I didn't see it but I would have picked up on that immediately. No professional and particularly a press photographer at that time would have used a Praktica of any type - they were entry level East European amateur SLRs considered one rung above the crude, basic but reliable Russian Zenith SLRs.

The cameras should have been mostly Nikons (FM. FM2 and F3) and Canon (AE-1, A1 and F1) plus the odd Olympus (OM1 series).

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
          I didn't see it but I would have picked up on that immediately. No professional and particularly a press photographer at that time would have used a Praktica of any type - they were entry level East European amateur SLRs considered one rung above the crude, basic but reliable Russian Zenith SLRs.

The cameras should have been mostly Nikons (FM. FM2 and F3) and Canon (AE-1, A1 and F1) plus the odd Olympus (OM1 series).
          One of the police taking crime scene pictures was also using an MTL3, no prizes for guessing the props dept handed same camera to the actors posing as the photogs to use.
          One had a Nikon another an Olympus I think there was a Canon in there too along with a rangefinder type as well.

Yes most had Canon or Nikon at the time. My first camera was a Zenith TTL back in Christmas 1980, happy days.

Comment

Watched the new FAMILY FORTUNES.

It was rubbish and really, really thick, with stupid, nebulous questions and a host mugging over knob gags in the most ill-advised manner. It's really, really bad, worse than ever.

Except the set. I think this is probably the lushest gameshow backdrop I've ever seen and it looks even better when it transfers from blue to red in the final round!!!

Comment

Watched the first two episodes of Mythic Quest last night on the strength of much of the team from Always Sunny being behind it, we enjoyed it immensely!

Comment

Watching Long Way Up which sees Charlie boorman and Ewan McGregor return for another trip, I was a fan of Long way around ....less so with Long way Down as they had McGregors wife back then come in which i felt disrupted the flow quite a bit.

Long Way Up I was looking forward to but I felt trying to do it on Electric bikes was a major mistake as now feels like most of the episodes have to much of.....we are running out of charge.....we cannot find a place to charge them.....charging is not working so bring in a generator and that really puts a downer on the going to new places and meeting people

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Watched the first two episodes of Mythic Quest last night on the strength of much of the team from Always Sunny being behind it, we enjoyed it immensely!
                  Is this an Apple TV+ exclusive?

Comment

Watched first 3 episodes of Tehran. So far so good!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Is this an Apple TV+ exclusive?
                      Possibly mate. We have it on a months free trial and only spotted it last night.

Comment

Sounds like a decent show ... just wondering if TV+ is worth adding another monthly sub

Comment

Been quite enjoying the direction the second season of The Boys has taken, and the latest episode (7) was particularly good.

Comment

Men Behaving Badly: Series 01
                            I haven't seen this show since it originally aired, I've never really seen much of the original run with Harry Enfield instead of Neil Morrissey either so it was interesting to see how it's aged in several ways but also how poor Enfield was in this. Trouble with Enfield is that even at his very best he's not an actor and this isn't a sketch show.

Comment

Just started watching Raised by Wolves. Not sure what I make of the first episode; a little strange but glad I can binge watch 9 more episodes to see how it plays out.

Comment

David Attenborough's A life on our Planet - available on Netflix, some wonderful filmography, but it makes for sombre watching.

It covers the demise of the natural world over Attenborough's lifetime and what's likely to happen if we don't change our way of life - he then explains what we need to change.

So basically we're screwed because we have to stop being selfish and greedy.

Comment

Working...
                                X