X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong thread

Comment

Started watching Manifest about a flight that takes off in 2013 and lands in 2018 and how the passengers deal with their new lives and ...stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        I enjoyed a bit of an unexpected treat last night with episode 1 of Clarkson's Farm. It's nothing brilliant, but it's a nice easy way to switch off with a few genuine belly laughs.
        First one was great, I will definitely watch the rest.

Comment

Late to the party again but watched the first couple of episodes of The Following. Boy, James Purefoy is a fantastic bad guy.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            Started watching Manifest about a flight that takes off in 2013 and lands in 2018 and how the passengers deal with their new lives and ...stuff.
            Might be best not to get too into that mystery box - not unless a network swoops in to save it

Comment

Yeah I'm not expecting it to go past the 2 seasons on Netflix.

Comment

"Time" on BBC iPlayer was brilliant, about a man sent to jail for the first time and his warden.

It totally got to me in so many ways. I almost didn't want to watch all of it, because it made me really nervous and was worried it would have a relentlessly bleak ending. Like, genuine pit-of-the-stomach nerves.

I cried in several places too. I couldn't imagine being Mark Cobden's (Sean Bean) parents, wanting to help your children in any way you can, but feeling helpless. A theme throughout the show and from different perspectives.

The other theme is redemption and if it's even possible if you've done something terrible.

Amazing telly with a fantastic cast.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  "Time" on BBC iPlayer was brilliant, about a man sent to jail for the first time and his warden.

It totally got to me in so many ways. I almost didn't want to watch all of it, because it made me really nervous and was worried it would have a relentlessly bleak ending. Like, genuine pit-of-the-stomach nerves.

I cried in several places too. I couldn't imagine being Mark Cobden's (Sean Bean) parents, wanting to help your children in any way you can, but feeling helpless. A theme throughout the show and from different perspectives.

The other theme is redemption and if it's even possible if you've done something terrible.

It was class. Sean Bean was great and he didn’t say bastard once Love Stephen Graham also.
                  Last edited by BIG EDD; 17-06-2021, 17:38.

Comment

South Park: The Pandemic Special
                    Sigh, this was fine but nothng special. The opening was the strongest showing Cartmen enjoying lockdown but the last two seasons have epically overindulged in Randy's drug farm which was one middling episode of an idea at best. Here we are a few years on and the joke is beyond worn and still what it's resting on mostly.

Comment

South Park: The Vaccination Special
                      I can see why there hasn't been a Season 24 when so many other animated comedies have taken advantage of the dominance of screening schedules. With SP being topical it couldn't side step COVID and there's not enough material to mine. There's a few decent moments but broadly the tank is running empty with this second special.

Comment

Feel Good (series 1)

Wonderful. Made me laugh, made me cry. It’s beautiful to look at and the soundtrack is great.

Lisa Kudrow is great at playing Mae’s oddball mum. She’s great at playing oddball mums in general.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Damn. This was grim. The tone was so unrelenting that you hoped for a happy cliche every now and again. It didn’t really come. Maybe the last episode had the faintest whiff of predictability. On the whole, though, it was a sad indictment of a broken system. Criminality breeds more criminality for so many in prisons, and it was sad to see inmates succumb to the temptations. Then there was the warden’s dilemma. McGovern’s skill is that he puts ordinary people in horrendous predicaments and asks, ‘what would you do?’ I couldn’t see a way out for him. I thought about my son and concluded that in the real world, I might have been forced to do the same.

I only intended to watch the first episode last night, but found it so compelling that I watched all three back-to-back. I finished, bleary-eyed, at 1 in the morning. It was worth it. Bean and Graham were absolutely note perfect, and the supporting cast were very relatable or well-drawn.

Prinny rating: 4/5 bletches
                          Neon Ignition rating: 3/5 mehs.

Comment

I did the same thing.
                            I watched one episode on night.
                            The next night, I wasn't even sure I wanted to carry on watching, I was so nervous for Cobden and I was worried it would be an unrelentingly bleak tale, but ended up staying up late binging on the final episode too, because I needed to know what happened.

Someone involved in this needs to win some kind of telly award as it was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                              Feel Good (series 1)

Wonderful. Made me laugh, made me cry. It’s beautiful to look at and the soundtrack is great.
                              We watched both seasons of this recently and I really loved it. It's often hilarious and charming, but I also liked that it some of the bigger issues it dealt with didn't get over-simplified as they got worked through. The fact that it felt particularly autobiographical made it even more disarming.

Started watching The Handmaid's Tale, somewhat against my better judgement. I liked the book, and knowing that this goes beyond where it ends already had my back up. You already know it's a bleak story, and although it's wonderfully shot, everything is done to serve the tone - it's glacially paced, with sparse, typically hushed conversations, and there's lots of long, lingering shots of faces contorting through a variety of miseries. Certainly not a light watch. About halfway into season 2 now and...

I feel like the break away from the book was very evident and not in a good way. The immediate fake-out just had me asking more questions than anything, and the shortly-followed escalation of violence they went with (on screen for once!) felt like it was for shock value. The on-off escape attempts are wearing thin already, and there are still two more seasons to go after this one! Urg.

Also watched Bo Burnham's Inside, after chatter about it on all corners of the internet reached fever pitch. Comedy by way of music often bounces off me, and this was unfortunately no different. It's an impressive piece of work for one guy, and from a creative standpoint I think there's way more here worth celebrating in the visual department than there is in the comedy. Even putting musical delivery aside, I just found a lot of the material to be centred around pretty dull, overdone topics - the more introspective bits were definitely the most interesting ones.

Comment

The Naked Director season 2

Wonderful

Comment

Working...
                                X