This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Framing Britney Spears
    We're going on a bit of documentary tangent and as this one is being discussed a lot and is an easier subject matter to delve into we started here. Feels pretty straight forward in terms of the story it's telling, barring a major objection to the information in the documentary (that hasn't happened as yet) she's pretty blatantly being financially abused and having her human rights clearly breached quite strongly by her father and the system.

I Am A Killer: Released

Expected more twists in the tale with this three episode documentary about a former death row inmate who becomes one of a very small number to be paroled after thirty years inside. With this one it feels like the truth is wrapped inside the lie, he's learnt to say what he needs to in order to get out but otherwise I think he regrets his time, not really the crime.

Comment

For All Mankind: Season 01
      This very blatantly doesn't get much attention because it's on Apple's services and few people bother with them but it's an absolute gem and incredibly well made. The season charts about fifteen years starting with the moon landing but as an alternate history storyline where the Russians land on the moon first causing the space race and cold war to never end. It's led by the guy who made the '04 Battlestar Galactica but with this being so grounded it really steeps itself in being very carefully executed with a pretty wide run of strong characters. Really, really good show.

Comment

The last season of Southpark has been fantastic, Tegridy farms where Randy is running his own weed farm is a great framing to the whole season and has had some classic moments. The Mexican Joker episode is absolute classic south park with great political commentary, Who else could take on the topic of the American border camps and make it funny.

Kyle gets sent to a border camp when Cartman realise you can get people deported by just reporting them so gets Kyles whole family arrested. The People running the border camp only realize how bad the place their running is when they realize Kyle is Jewish and they start to panic about how bad it will look. He's soon forgotten though when the staff their get convinced that their in the Mexican Jokers origin story. The highlight for me was when Kyle starts converting all the kids to Judaism and makes yamaka out of the foil blankets to help them escape it had me howling with laughter but also deeply uncomfortable at the same time.

Comment

Disney+ now has all the Xfiles on. I'll be hunting out all the best episodes for that.

Comment

A slight aside but the missus is trying Bridgerton

Jesus... what drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              A slight aside but the missus is trying Bridgerton

Jesus... what drivel.
              My wife loved it. I think I watched 10 minutes and had to leave. Its just a sea of character tropes. Terrible.

Comment

That's exactly it, just comes across more like a parody. Bad acting, hardly any plot, just a sprinkle of 12 rated bedroom antics to hold attention

Comment

I was put through the first episode. Utterly atrocious in every way. I think if it was cut into 2 minute segments with an added laughter track, it might make a decent sketch in a comedy show but, as a full show, I didn't get the appeal.

Comment

My wife is also a Bridgerton fan.
                    I haven't seen it, so can't comment.

I have finished WandaVision though, which I thought was incredible.
                    It's not perfect, but there's plenty in there to chew on and Kudos to Marvel for trying something that's not just punchy-punchy.
                    I guessed what the series was about before watching it and could relate, so I was sobbing during the last episode, I'll be honest.

Comment

Add some bedroom scenes to the Pride & Prejudice scenes in Red Dwarf VII and that's Bridgerton

Comment

C4's The Great finished its 10 episode run on Sunday.

Really quite enjoyed it eventually, a genuine horrible history but filled with grotesque comedy, sex, bad language and violence.

Bold move of C4 to put it in a Sunday night slot where such costume dramas tend to be worthy literary adaptations or period soaps.

Comment

After starting from the beginning last year during one of the various lockdowns, we finally finished Frasier last night. An absolutely wonderful show. Just a very easy well-written sitcom that kept going well right up to the end. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

The Umbrella Academy: Season 02
                            Solid but too much of a retread of the first season with the expectation that setting in it another era offers enough material to vary it up which it doesn't. Fortunately the stinger for the next season looks to be good.

Don't F--- With Cats
                            The last of the Netflix documentaries we're trying and this was so much better than I expected. Three eps and it held us the entire way, really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              Don't F--- With Cats
                              The last of the Netflix documentaries we're trying and this was so much better than I expected. Three eps and it held us the entire way, really good.
                              I love a good doc, esp when good takes the fight to evil, but this one sounded too upsetting to sit through.

Comment

Ep 1 had my missus in absolute tears. It shows enough so you know what's going on but mostly avoids showing anything explicit. It's 95% about the people taking on the video poster who quickly moves on from cats and they're absolute legends.

Comment

Working...
                                X