Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] we started Lupin last night. Off to a good start.

Watched first season of Carnival Row on Prime. Loved it. Complex, connected story all told very well in a gorgeous setting. Nothing not to like. Rene Echevaria involved (I loved The 4400, cancelled too soon).

[MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] same here re: Cobra Kai. Girlfriend was constantly saying how ridiculous it was yet we’ve finished the last season and by the end it’s all she wanted to watch. It gets better as it goes along.

Comment

I finished S2 of The Mandolorian and it was bloody brilliant.

It's a must-see for Star Wars fans.

Comment

Trying to get used to the different presenter on Countdown, but I prefer Nick Hewer - a constant amongst the random letters and numbers.

Hewer is leaving the show after having to miss his seat due to Covid shielding and they've gone back to the 8 letter anagrams at the TV break (should have stuck with the 9s - it's all ruined now )

Comment

Only watch 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown - sometimes very funny particularly if Sean Lock is on good form. He did a side splitting take on the Tiger That Came To Tea: The Tiger Who Came For A Pint

(9'20").

Comment

Blood Drive
            Missus wanted to revisit this cancelled show oddly, it was still fun the second time thanks to have just the right amount of self-awareness, shame it didn't get a renewal but I guess there was always a high risk it'd go downhill fast too.

The Flash: Season 06

Really long watch due to Crisis etc but without doubt the second half sags hard. Really hope that the COVID break helps the next run as the show is deeply stuck in a rut.

Comment

Episode 4 of Wandavision FINALLY starting to explain everything thats going on, instead of mystery after mystery of the first 3 episodes it's now from the other side, all the weird voices and creepy things been explained slowly. Think this is the episode where knowledge of what went down in the infinity war films is probably a help as if you have not seen any of them you'll have no idea why people are reappearing out of dust.

For anyone who doesn't want to devote many hours to catching up on the infinity war.

Thanos used the infinity gauntlet to sassy snap half the galaxy out of exsistance, in the final avengers film due to time trave shennanigans Tony stark manages to get hold of the infinity stones to recreate the gauntlet and sassy snap everyone back into exisance and remove Thanos out of the picture. The timeline of episode 4 of wandavision must be from the part where Tony brings everyone back

Comment

The Expanse: Season 04
                It was weird to watch this season given how overly rushed plots in parts of the third run felt, this fourth run felt like a much thinner story stretched for the entire run and though the books mandate the plot to an extent this meant this was probably the weakest run. The crew spend a fair bit of time seperated, well, most of the cast does. In a way it felt like it was a season for resetting the board, though still a good watch I'm hoping the fifth season gets back to the tone and tighter action and suspense of the previous runs.

Comment

Still enjoying, if not loving, C4's The Great.

As I suggested even though it is more lavish and grotesquely amusing rather than comic there is definitely a nod towards Blackadder even in the episode names. Yesterday it was "Blood and Vomit" and the the end title music changes, if very different from the way some of the Blackadder series used it, have a distinct smack of that too.

Comment

Harley Quinn: Season 01
                    At first I kind of braced myself for the worst with this one, but I think by the third episode it had won me over. The characters are exactly as they're commonly known but each tend to have one additional trait for comedic use. It mostly hits the right note between not straying from the characters you know and the aim for adult humour, considering this is the first run it's a solid launch.

Kidding: Season 02

For the uninitiated this is the Jim Carrey series about a renowned kids TV presenter who's marriage has collapsed due to him being unable to process the death of his son. The second run overall isn't as strong as the first but given the show was cancelled the last episode or two do a sterling job of ending things on pretty much exactly the right note with not much left to be said and the final scene driving home the right tone and culmination moment.

Die Hart: Season 01
                    Ten episodes at ten minutes each, this was probably the most notable series of Quibi's brief flame of life with Kevin Hart playing himself who is sick of being seen as the comedic sidekick and instead wants to be a credible action lead. He's instructed that first he has to go to an action acting school that is led by John Travolta. This is probably only middling but it's incredibly easy to digest in small doses and whilst the viewer is always ten steps ahead of the show and it lacks big laughs it's nice to see something that Travolta absolutely powers through, none of his recent weird cheesiness going on and he's the standout in this little show.

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Season 02
                    The second run remains really good fun and engaging enough for kids without being too junior for adults. It's not quite up there with the first run, effectively it's the Lost World to the first runs Jurassic Park, but we look forward to the third run even if like the films it ignores the original park too readily.

The Umbrella Academy: Season 01
                    Another one of those shows that could easily have gone wrong as it's overall very slow going but it manages to balance things well enough to remain compelling. The finale was good too, we're quite keen to see how the next run pans out even if it gets close to the point we have to hope Netflix doesn't cancel it.

Lost: Season 03 Part One
                    The show that's become a multi-year project, we're up to the point where the sub has blown and Charlie's clock is ticking. That means we're past the cages section so finally hitting the point where the shows pace lurches forward and we're just about beginning to tell and the missus is finally seeing a few more things about it to keep her engaged. It remains fascinating to rewatch with knowledge of where it's headed.

Comment

I watched It's a Sin last week. After initially thinking it wasn't my cup of tea, I gave it a go and what a great watch. The acting was brilliant. It will definitely win awards.

Comment

Watching the six-part Adam Curtis documentary, Can’t Get You Out Of My Head. A rambling collage of interconnected stories vaguely describing the usurpation of national governments and ideology by global corporations, banks and individualism. It’s as stylish, thought-provoking and disturbing as all his documentaries are - I’m a big fan of his work - but this one seems slightly less coherent than the rest. Still brilliant though, would recommend, 8/10.

Comment

Season 1 of Barry. Nice little show this about a hitman who wants to leave his violent profession after accidentally entering an acting class and in doing so experiencing warmth and acceptance. Little bit of a Dexter vibe ... more light-hearted but not afraid to go into dark and morally questionable places. Bill Hader is great as the title character but it's Henry Winkler who brings the special. On to season 2.

Comment

^ Hmmm a new show with the Fonz in it? Colour me interested!

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                              Giri/Haji was my favourite series of last year (2019). A brilliant cast of characters, a clash of cultures, a crime plot... I loved it. And there’s a moment toward the end where for a couple of minutes it transcends the genre and becomes sublime.
                              We finished this last week, and I’m grateful I got to experience that scene.

Comment

Yes, Giri/Haji was one of those weird and unlikely collaboration ideas which shouldn't have worked but actually did. Not totally brilliant but still exceptionally watchable throughout.

Comment

Working...
                                X