Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted to like The Great, C4's Catherine The Great very loosely (under statement) historical comedy/drama, more than I did but it didn't really push any of my buttons despite Elle Fanning's presence.

Will probably watch the next episode and if it still doesn't grab me look for something else.

Comment

Watched the first 3 "seasons" of Strike. Thought it was pretty darn good. Trying to track down how I can watch the last season now.

Comment

Watched the first 2 episodes of Wandavision as quite friankly i love that 50's aesthetic so i was intrigued. It's very weird so far the first 2 episodes seem to parody various 50's sitcoms i definitely recognise i dream of genie in there it's very cringey and cheesy in how the episodes play out which pretty much nails what 50's stuff was like but also there's very small segments when the 4th wall breaks and things get a bit creepy almost like a version of the truman show but a more unsettling feel.

I have finished the infinity war so i know what transpired but i'm not sure how this fits into it all, it's like Wanda has made up a reality to escape to but then if that's the case who are the outside people that you keep seeing? Curious how it all plays through looking forward to ep3 as it's supposed to be based on the Brady bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          I have finished the infinity war so i know what transpired
          Oh no, do I need to have watched the Avengers films in prep?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Oh no, do I need to have watched the Avengers films in prep?
            It mainly would be to do with Vision's role in the infinity war. I'll put the rest in a spoiler tag as if you haven't seen them it might be a huge spoiler.

Vision is created from one of the infinity stones and is killed later on when Thanos takes it from him which then means, does Wandavision take place during the infinity war stuff as Vision only exists during that timeline and he doesn't exist for long or is it after all the infinity war stuff has ended where Vision is dead and Wanda has somehow created a reality where Vision is still alive so she can live happily ever after in some bizzare perfect 50's life

Last edited by importaku; 17-01-2021, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              It mainly would be to do with Vision's role in the infinity war. I'll put the rest in a spoiler tag as if you haven't seen them it might be a huge spoiler.

Vision is created from one of the infinity stones and is killed later on when Thanos takes it from him which then means, does Wandavision take place during the infinity war stuff as Vision only exists during that timeline and he doesn't exist for long or is it after all the infinity war stuff has ended where Vision is dead and Wanda has somehow created a reality where Vision is still alive so she can live happily ever after in some bizzare perfect 50's life
              Ace, thanks for that, much appreciated ... I'll take a peek before watching

Comment

The only thing i'll say about wandavision is don't go into it as a comedy, as i watched both episodes & didn't laugh once not even a smirk. It's very cheesy both in the scenarios and the cheesy way they behave, the ott canned laughter really is 50's era perfect in how it plays out and how they have borrowed from a lot of shows. But that's probably going to make people hate it too, as it's very simplistic in the setup it's typical 50's suburban life. The fun for me is when the odd stuff happens, it really does start feeling like some twilight zone/outer limits/truman show hybrid then. I want to see how this mystery unfolds about what exactly is going on with this.

From what i have read online so far the first 6 episodes are to be based on certain tv shows each episode been a parody of each show. Rumour been Brady bunch been episode 3's point of reference will be fun to see if that's the case as i unironically enjoy the Brady bunch i have the whole lot on my pc hehe.
                Last edited by importaku; 17-01-2021, 13:33.

Comment

Spiral is back on BBC4, even better all the series can be downloaded on iPlayer. I only started at season 5 so have started right back at the beginning.

I don't watch a lot of telly but it's easy to see why this series has won so many awards including International Emmy. Forget about those American ones with perfect teeth, boobs and hair, Spiral is the absolute dogs bollocks.

Comment

We've been running low on things we were really excited to watch, so started Cobra Kai. We keep calling it out for any number of things; it is nostalgia-baiting, predictable, cheesy rubbish, and yet we've watched nearly two seasons in as many days. Up is down, dry is wet, etc.

Comment

Beginning to warm to C4's The Great much more than I thought I would after the first episode did not grab me. Its actually developing to be something more like a lavish Blackadder than anything else I can think of to compare it with. That is meant as genuine praise.

It is far less cosy and clownish but populated by the same types of absurd characters, very loosely, based on real history and events. More adult and brutal too and I rather like that occasional use of the latter as a shock element to remind you a lot of those people were actually deeply unpleasant in real life and not just the comic creations being depicted.

Comment

Community
                        Avenue Q 5
                        Mandalorian
                        Lupin

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Community
                          Avenue Q 5
                          Mandalorian
                          Lupin
                          Lupin, the fourth?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            Lupin, the fourth?
                            No, the new series on Netflix.

It's really good and we blazed through it.
                            It's like a French version of Sherlock.

Comment

Pennyworth: Season One
                              Oh man, heard good things about this despite how ropey the premise of it being about Young Alfred the Butler is, and it mostly meets those comments until the latter half when things begin to fall apart. It takes place in a fictionalised version of 1950's/1960's London where style often harks back further toward the 40's but then other elements from previous decades are also still in place like public executions, prisoners hanging in cages in the streets etc. The lead channels pure young Michael Caine perfectly and things unfold reasonably well as it shows and sets up and Alfred who is early in life but clearly has the foundation of the skills that will one day serve him as protector of Bruce Wayne. Soon Thomas Wayne and Martha Kane also appear but whilst the show is set in an era of male dominance it slides away from using it as a context and instead revelling in it. By the end the men are all largely action bad asses, the women literally all can't get through the season without being bedded by at least one bloke at some point and that includes a lesbian. And I say over a show that features the Queen as a character. By the end it leaves you a bit burnt out because it's becomes too dingey and exploitative, like a bad parody of its early episodes. For Season 2, to hold us as viewers, it needs to reign itself in a bit. It's fine to have some of these elements given the world it's trying to portray but Alfred, Thomas and Martha should be less a hands on part of it.

Tin Star: Season 03
                              The final run and after the second season I was bummed out when it moved to shift the action from Canada to Liverpool but in the end they did a great job with it. It's an enjoyable run and whilst I'm not sure the ending is quite what I'd have gone with it mostly makes sense given the journey they've been on.

Comment

I've binged almost the entire first series of Emily in Paris- I'm actually really enjoying it. Some real laugh out loud moments for me. Don't @ me

Comment

Working...
                                X