This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dream scenario would be Tim Vine.

He's really funny with quips, quick and natural.

Tim Vine for TENABLE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
      Dream scenario would be Tim Vine.

He's really funny with quips, quick and natural.

Tim Vine for TENABLE!!!!!!
      Did you ever watch Whittle on Channel 5? It was one of their launch shows and was a showcase for Vine's speedy puns.

Comment

I started watching the second series of Sex Education (via Netflix).

Oh lawd, it's embarrassing to watch!
        It's really funny, though and has some great characters that are funny yet endearing.

Got through 2 episodes, so I can see us getting through this pretty quick.

Comment

I really like Warwick Davis on Tenable, very watchable.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I started watching the second series of Sex Education (via Netflix).

Oh lawd, it's embarrassing to watch!
            It's really funny, though and has some great characters that are funny yet endearing.

Got through 2 episodes, so I can see us getting through this pretty quick.
            We've just started watching it too and it's quite enjoyable. I find the setting really distracting though. It's UK but some weird fictional place where it's also the US in terms of school dressing. It's like it's set in a dream. Doesn't quite make sense and things in the background jump out as being improperly placed and yet it very much seems to be deliberate to make it look familiar to US audiences.

Comment

Agreed, but go with it.
              It's one of its unique qualities.

Scully's house is also amazing. You'll soon be able to rent it. (I'd wash the sheets first).

Comment

Yeah, Sex Education is an odd mash-up but it works so well. Amazing they could conceive of and make work such a bizarre concoction. Only one ep in on S2 ... good so far.

Comment

Watched the first ep of The Outsider last night. Does the book proud. Might even end up being better if it stays as strong.

Comment

I just finished Designated Survivor: 60 Days on Netflix, a Korean remake of the US series. Don't know if it was the less-familiar setting of Korean politics or the absolutely stellar cast doing uniformly great work, but I enjoyed this a fair bit more than the original, which I dropped after a few episodes.

It's not perfect, however, with the worst offender being the most egregious use of product placement I have ever seen in my life. Important scenes had their entire emotional impact along with any traces of suspension of disbelief thrown straight out the window, as the camera centered lovingly on a character

slowly operating a very specific capsule coffee machine or taking a wristwatch out of a gift box emblazoned with a giant logo.

I haven't watched a lot of Korean shows so I don't know how it compares to its peers, but it crossed my personal line many times over. So be warned.

All that said, I still think it's worth a watch, at least if high-concept, deeply idealistic political thrillers / whodunits sound like quality entertainment to you (they do to me).
                    Last edited by vabarna; 31-01-2020, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by vabarna View Post
                      I haven't watched a lot of Korean shows so I don't know how it compares to its peers, but it crossed my personal line many times over.
                      Is it Netflix-made? This seems to be how they are bringing money in. Some of their shows are shameless when it comes to product placement.

Comment

Seems to be?

EDIT: Hmm, it's not after all. Found this:
                        Designated Survivor: 60 Days is not a full Netflix Original. The studio behind it is Studio Dragon who produced the show for the Korean network tvN. Netflix has simply purchased the international streaming rights for the show.

Comment

Not sure where to put this one as it's for a stage musical adaptation of a film but is technically a TV advert so...

The advert for Back to the Future: The Musical

Comment

Hmmmm. Someone's been messing around with my DICKINSON'S REAL DEAL. That bit at the end where it shows you how much profit the dealers made afterwards...well, it's gone. I am not amused, it made the show more interesting.

I'll boycott you, Dickinson...

Comment

Nobody else seems to have mentioned it, but I've watched a couple of episodes of "The Show That Goes Wrong" and really enjoyed it. It was on in the background, and I dismissed it, but several different people said it's worth a watch, so I watched an episode with the wife.
                              It didn't make the missus laugh too much, so I watched the second one on my own without having to stifle my titters.

The premise is that a bunch of bad amateur actors put on a different play each week, but it never goes to plan.
                              The joke is that everything seems to go wrong, but if you step back, it's actually really cleverly written and toys with various conventions like theatre and narrative.

A few mates have watched it with their kids too, so it's fairly safe. Some jokes will go over their heads, but they'll love the slapstick.

There are 6 episodes and they all have a different theme (WWII, courtroom drama, Christmas), but all are great fun.
                              I won't talk too much about it so it's fresh for you, but I was really laughing at the silliness of the courtroom set, where the setbuilders had made a Spinal Tap-style mistake...

All 6 episodes are on iPlayer:

Last edited by QualityChimp; 05-02-2020, 07:44. Reason: spelling

Comment

Finally got on board with the Nordic noir and picked up The Killing box set. 2 eps in and I love it already.

Comment

Working...
                                X