Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a show I'd really like to watch, as it sounds like my thing, but you make it sound like it's running out of steam?
    Is it based on some books or is it one of those shows that got some traction and now it's got another season but there's no real aim?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      That's a show I'd really like to watch, as it sounds like my thing, but you make it sound like it's running out of steam?
      Is it based on some books or is it one of those shows that got some traction and now it's got another season but there's no real aim?
      Yeah, it's the latter. Honestly, the show from the start can sometimes be a little hit or miss but the concept is wonderful and, early on, it has many more hits than misses and I do think it's worth a watch but, as it goes on, I think it loses what made it good to begin with.

Comment

Definitely, it would probably have been better to recast for aged characters or in some instances just write them out as some of the storylines stretch things. Each season tends to be a bit slow off the mark but then hit their stride with the struggles, the severe dangers of being on the very tip of a new frontier of tech and exploration etc until it builds to a big pay off. S4 starts nowhere and goes nowhere, given the critical response it doesn't inspire that they'll change approach. Supposedly they're hoping to run it till Season 7 which would be set in the 2030's

Comment

Gen V: Season 01
          The spin-off of The Boys is just abotu okay. Feels like something with minimal gas in the tank as a group of teens try to work out the mysterious things going on at their campus. Main issue is that the more extreme humour elements of the main show are weighted by some heavier and darker moments. Gen V punches more mid-range with a mystery that is only a mystery to the characters, attempts to push the shock value in some ways but shy away from offending in others and by the time it ends it feels like it's pretty drawn out as they're ultimately good guys without a compelling enemy to battle. The second run will make or break the show.

Comment

Dipped into a few series On Crunchy Roll Recently

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End​ The premise for this is what happens when the D&D heroes defeat the Final boss and go back to their old lives. The series starts witha group of heroes returning from a 10-year quest that saw them defeat the Demon King and bring in an era of peace and prosperity. The series focuses on Frieren an elf mage who lives far longer than Humans do, she returns to visit her old party and is surprised that after 50 short years for her, her old party is ancient and in their twilight years.

The death of one of her party kicks of a journey of discovery for Frieren as she re treads and tracks down the surviving members of her party retreading the journey she took with her friends' all those years ago she discovers the legacy and legend they left behind. lots of flashback, lots of mundane side quests and some really sweet and quite sad moments but some pretty funny bits too, a really well-rounded and different take on quite an oversaturated genre, super wholesome and a real cosy watch.

Spy X Family
            A spy has to go deep undercover and needs a wife and child to complete his latest mission, what you end up with is this really odd family of misfits in a comedy that has some hilarious laugh out loud moments it's comedy mixed in with a 50s style spy drama. Was hooked from episode one brilliant writing, great set up and a really fun show.

jujutsu kaisen
            My daughter loves this, but I Found this to be very run-of-the-mill, seen it before type fair, falls into your typical Humans vs demon fare quite gruesome very bloody and lots of high stakes battles and drama a body count that is off the scale.

Laid Back Camp
            Laid back cozycore show about camping and a group of friends that run a camping club at their school, exaclty what it says on the tin lovely calm locations no high stake drama just a sweet show about going camping.
            Last edited by Lebowski; 26-03-2024, 11:18.

Comment

I was thinking the other day I'd love to watch some more anime, but nothing seems to hit like the 80s/90s stuff did.
              Feels like a lot of padding and very little hand-drawn art.

We finished off Reacher S2 (Prime), which was good fun but progressively ridiculous.
              Apparently, there are no police in New York if you're having a driving gun battle.

Watched 3 eps of Red Dwarf (iPlayer) with my son last night including White Hole and Dimension Jump.
              I was crying at "So what is it?", but my son enjoyed the 30 minutes of cussing Rimmer in comparison to Ace in the latter.
              He's getting wound up by me saying "this is a good episode"

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                I was thinking the other day I'd love to watch some more anime, but nothing seems to hit like the 80s/90s stuff did.
                Feels like a lot of padding and very little hand-drawn art.
                I'd stay away from the overhyped shows, your Demon slayers, and the My Hero Academia's as theses all feel like the same sort of show with lots of cliche's and the usual anime tropes Young underdog hero saves the world over and over.

Shows like Frieren​ take a lot of the tropes and turn them on their head its nickname is "side quest the series", theirs no villain of the week format or big bad guy plotting and moving his pieces in the background no underdog, just a kick ass 1000 year old Elf mage going on small adventures and leaning wholesome lessons about the fragility of life and friendships and how cruel the passage of time can be. The animation and setting is wonderful as well loads of beautiful scenery on show and really cool locations.

Comment

Working...
                X