Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot. The comedy doesn't always hit the mark but I enjoyed the stupidity and nostalgia.

Comment

Had a bit of an unsuccessful run with the 75 films, typically stuff has aged too much:

-The Eiger Sanction
      -The Stepford Wives
      -The Land That Time Forgot

The effects in the latter of those were glorious to behold, amazing that the time between that film and Jurassic Park was not that far off half what the time has been since Jurassic and now is. The most success we had was with The Hindenberg which had some effects issues and is a slow film, taking on the conspiracy theory as its main plot but playing out as a traditional disaster movie intercut with some real footage of the incident at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Watched Free Solo again last night. We'd seen it a little while back but my son asked to watch it again as it's on Nat Geo on Disney+ and just like the first time the sweaty palms kicked in straight away and didn't let up. It's more terrifying than any horror film. Alex Honnold is maybe the only person on earth equipped mentally (and physically, obviously) to do what he does. His view is there are other things just as dangerous but the difference is the size of the margin for error ... there basically isn't one when you attempt something like free climbing El Cap (something no one else has even attempted) ... you basically have to be perfect for 4 hours solid or you die.

It's an amazing watch. The guy is literally super human. Incredible.
        Just hunting through the Sky listings and this is on the Nat Geo channel tonight at 7.00.

Comment

The Land That Time Forgot - The remake or the original?

I remember when the original version with Doug McClure and the sister films The People That Time Forgot and At The Earth's Core first came out and there was a feature item on an ITV children's film magazine show (Clapperboard with Chris Kelly?) on the 'special effects'.

I don't know if it is that one but in one of those three there's a pterodactyl attack which was done with an unconvincing model literally dangling from a wire at the end of a pole. Looked rubbish even then.

Comment

Yep, that's the one. In many way sit was amazing to watch as it's so spectacularly under budgeted. The pterodactyl's are pretty much the first shot of Dinosaur's you see and they set a bar that the film spends most it's time trying to beat for minimal effort effects.

We've been crunching the 75/76 films hard so also have now watched:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
            Just really hard to watch and enjoy. I really like the cast but it's very hard set in the same kind of mould as I see Fast Show now where in it's time it was great fun but time has absolutely ravaged the humour out of it with hardly anything raising a smirk no matter how hard the cast is trying.

Next Gen
            From last year, essentially Netflix made a film like Big Hero 6 about a girl who loses her father and feels alone before befriending a big white robot that learns human emotions. It's only so-so but the final battle is pretty good.

Carrie
            Enjoyed this one and it was fun spotting people from the cast who I didn't know were in it. Travolta's role is simple as a boyfriend willing to do too much whilst I literally only know Nancy Allen from being in Robocop.

Dirty Harry 3: The Enforcer
            Some fun lines and it's always nice to see Alcatraz but this wasn't as good as the first two. No attempt at there being anything for Harry to work out and he pretty much operates separately from the bad guys till the end.

King Kong
            Completely showcases how badly the effects in The Land that Time Forgot were by looking better almost across the board. It's also interesting in its use of Jessica Lange who is pretty dislikeable throughout the entire film with her fame hungry melodramatic damsel routine that is largely bearable mostly because of the ending when she finally gets her spotlight and Jeff Bridges abandons her. Everything with Kong is pretty well done for the most part and it's interesting to see the close up stuff on the World Trade Centre at the end which is used instead of the Empire State Building.

Comment

I do enjoy your reviews, Neon, but you crack me up with some.
              Holy Grail is hard to watch because it's had decades of people referencing it?

Land That Time Forgot has a proper poster!

We watched the new Vacation on Netflix, which is a sequel to National Lampoon's Vacation.
              The missus had it recommended to her, but I realised half-way through it's because bloody Thor is in it, showing off how big his six-pack is...

It's painful to watch and all the characters are losers, but you still cheer for them.

Really easy watching, but a good few laughs along the way.

Comment

I've seen Vacation, while deeply hungover. Easy watching but totally forgettable.

I watched Hereditary last night, the first film from Ari Aster, who went on to do Midsommar last year.

This one really divided opinion - if you look at critic reviews, most praised it to high heaven (with the exception of Kermode, who gave it 3/5), but if you read any opinions on forums/Reddit/comment threads, people seem to absolutely loathe this film.

Well, I've gotta say, I really liked it. It's a horror movie through and through, but the first half plays more like a dark family drama, then **** kicks off from there, with a pretty full-on half hour closing it out.

It borrows heavily from certain classic horrors - I won't mention the one it leans on most heavily, as it's effectively a spoiler* - and it does get pretty hokey towards the end, but if you're looking for a straight down the line horror movie that's actually well done, this fits the bill very well. Toni Collette is awesome, too.

It's on Netflix right now, so give it a watch.

*not the Exorcist, although there are bits of it in there

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  I do enjoy your reviews, Neon, but you crack me up with some.
                  Holy Grail is hard to watch because it's had decades of people referencing it?
                  Not because of it being referenced, just that the humour is incredibly dated.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    I watched Hereditary. It's a horror movie
                    I still think about it after all these months. There's imagery in there that won't leave me for a while, and wrapping the family drama into it was a master-stroke. I know horror movies usually have the cast getting paranoid and turning on each other but they're usually annoying teenagers and they'd be fine if there wasn't a murderer/demon/ghost on the loose picking them off one-by-one. Watching this family gradually fall apart would still be depressing even without the supernatural elements.

I haven't seen Midsommar yet but I'm planning to soon.

Comment

I watched Zero Charisma on Prime last night. It's about a games master and his role-playing group of friends who take on a new player who's a bit of a hipster dude who upsets the delicate balance. It looks and sounds like it's going to be more light-hearted than it actually is. It's really quite sad and, in a similar way to Uncut gems, the main character is sometimes hard to watch, he makes so many bad moves. It has its moments though.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Land That Time Forgot has a [I]
                        That is one of my fav films of all time. I loved Doug McClure. I still have his appearance in Airworld taped on VHS LOL

Comment

Ventured back to the cinema last night to see The Shining. All good apart from a daft couple who (a) decided they didn't like their seats so sat where they wanted, ignoring social-distancing and (b) talked and laughed through the first 10 minutes of the film until we told them to keep it down.

I love the cinema but there's a tiny bit of hate too ... that random factor of the general public ruining the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Ventured back to the cinema last night to see The Shining. All good apart from a daft couple who (a) decided they didn't like their seats so sat where they wanted, ignoring social-distancing and (b) talked and laughed through the first 10 minutes of the film until we told them to keep it down.

I love the cinema but there's a tiny bit of hate too ... that random factor of the general public ruining the experience.
                            The general public ruin everything*. This is why I love home cinema. Plus I can make a cuppa halfway through!

*exaggeration

Comment

Watched Peeping Tom last night.

A stone cold classic British psychological horror.

Talking Pictures TV show some great films.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                                Watched Peeping Tom last night.

A stone cold classic British psychological horror.

Talking Pictures TV show some great films.
                                Always wanted to see that. Will have to watch the listings for it coming back.

Comment

Working...
                                X