This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I guess it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. At least you've sifted it.
    It's deffo Marmite. I'm genuinely sad I didn't like it because all the ingredients were there to enjoy. I did find it very long for what it was, it was stretched out a bit too much and I got frustrated in the last half hour.

The feeling I have is in the same emotional sphere as schadenfreude. A condition I don't know the name of that needs a word to define it. I wanted to love this, share in the love with y'all but couldn't and now I feel kinda bad and in the wrong. It's the same feeling as me not really ever feelin' reggae yet all my mates do.

Is there a German word for this awkward, wretched state of being? I'll call it 'fartenfreude' for now (cos it just came into my head).

But, damn. Damn. I wanted to like MANDY. And I can't!

Comment

I loved the visual style and atmosphere of Mandy more than the plot, but still... If you're looking for something different, it's one of the best horror films of the past few years.

Comment

^that would be the most diplomatic way of saying it, Gordo!

Comment

PS: don't forget I was the geezer who really enjoyed Eli Roth's DEATH WISH remake. QC, on the other hand, detested it. Most peeps did, I think I was the only one who liked it!

My tastes can be very questionable, applies in all avenues of my life n' all.

Comment

Pffft, that was so bland.

Comment

Exactly! Crazy, innit?! But I liked it!

All I'm saying is it's one opinion and I'm not trying to needlessly slag the movie or deter peeps from seeing it. It's clear a lot of effort's been put into it and it is certainly very different to the norm and it is DEFFO an experience.

Just wish I'd liked the bastard thing!

Comment

You can't fake it Jazz ... it's either good or it ain't, and you're not the first person I've heard voice that opinion. It least you watched it all though, not like my bro-in-law and his missus ... kudos for that.

Comment

I had the same thing with ROBOCOP and GHOSTBUSTERS.

I've luckily grown to love the former (especially as it's turning out to be accurate!) but with GB...I just never found it funny.

Still don't. Saw it at the pictures aged 9 and I was hyped for it but I saw it and got a sinking feeling inside.

I didn't *hate* it, it was still a decent film. But more an action-drama about bumbling guys catching ghosts. I still see it as that, I do quite enjoy it still.

But it's still a drama, to me. It's about as funny as grey.

Comment

Yeah, I respect you for watching it rather than giving up.
                    A girl at work borrowed It Follows and turned it off "after 20 minutes" but asking her about the plot, she barely made 10.
                    I've also given her, given, a copy of Jurassic Park but refuses to watch it.

Everyone in her office were talking about another film and it just felt like she was the only one who hated it, so I doubt she gave it a chance.

That winds me up.

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing, but saying something is **** without watching beyond 10 minutes isn't the film's fault.

Apart from Spice World.

Comment

^oooooh, yeah. Spice World. Saw it when there was nothing else on I hadn't seen at the cinema, one rainy afternoon. Absolutely horrible film...on par with CARRY ON COLUMBUS.

Oddly enough, I never wanted to watch JURASSIC PARK or TOY STORY but two peeps gave me them on DVD and insisted I watched them. So I did. And I liked them!

Same thing with TWIN PEAKS. My mate Don gave me the entire first n' second season boxset *and* FIRE WALK WITH ME. He raved and raved for over three years to get me to watch them (I thought it looked dull) and this time last year I FINALLY popped its cherry.

And now I think TWIN PEAKS is likely the best thing ever made.

Comment

Watched Harry Potter in HORNS, tonite.

Hmmmm. A very strange, experimental film, its sense of absurd (not usually very funny) humour reminded me EXACTLY of the feel of Woody Allen's EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX* (*BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK).

The mood is all over the place. It was OK. Odd. Directed by the guy who did SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE, ffs???!!!

Never woulda really thought. It's quite tame. It's got a nice locale, very Twin Peaksy, Alan Wakey.

Harry Potter does an American accent REALLY good and is so natural you don't recognise him as Potter anymore.

I probably enjoyed this as a consistent, imaginative, visible experience, compared to MANDY.

But tho I enjoyed this more than MANDY, this is deffo not the solitary, mad vision that is.

But it's pretty strange. And it's not awful.

Comment

I thought HORNS was some kind of cinema, and that you were watching a Harry Potter film until you mentioned the accent

Comment

I love how Potter has made his cash from Potter and just spends his time doing bonkers films like Horns, Swiss Army Man and Guns Akimbo.

Comment

I continued my Fincher binge last night with Seven. Unlike the last two I'd actually seen this one before, at the cinema on release, so it'd been a while. Watching it again it's still brilliant ... maybe even better with time. The vision is so strong and the bleakness barely lets up ... but when it does you really feel the relief, like getting to an inn in an RPG when you're on your last legs: the supper scene, even the breakfast scene in the dark and dirty diner ... they just break up the unrelenting rain-soaked dread. It's beautifully made, as would be expected, and the script is tight as a drum too ... economical and smart ... not merely sequence after sequence of the grizz.

Loving these films so much. Got a couple more on my radar: one I haven't seen (Social Network) and one I have, but I'm almost too scared to watch again (Zodiac).
                              Last edited by Atticus; 03-09-2020, 08:29.

Comment

We saw the Kimmy Schmidt film.

It's multiple choice, but not like Bandersnatch, where it felt like the choices mattered.

Here, the wrong choice usually meant watching some bonkers scene before being sent back to pick another. I just let it choose the default option after a while. I appreciate that multiple choices is hard work - Charlie Brooker and co. almost went nuts - so I'm not faulting these guys for trying. It just felt unnecessary. Maybe there are some cool scenes we missed out on?

The story was decent, but it ended quite suddenly.

Comment

Working...
                                X