This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
    Seen Species many times, but never any of it's sequels...until now.

Species II, retains most core characters that survived the first, perfectly entertaining with some fun of the era CGI sequences, not too bad at all.

I missed out III, am I a psychopath? I read it was crap.

Species IV: The Awakening. Straight to DVD fair and the cgi shows, but highly entertaining. So 2 scientists get the DNA sequence and having created one girl who is showing alien signs. One of them has gone rogue in Mexico bringing people back from the dead and creating hybrids with the DNA. Some shoddy acting but much better than you'd think.
    That's funny, because I recently went through the first three Species movies.

I'd say the first movie is really good. It's even better than I remembered it to be. I had the idea that it was a dodgy sort of B-movie with bad acting, but everything about it was decent quality. I think it might be a case of modern movies being generally so bland and boring that Species is now something special by comparison.

The second movie is OK. The overall quality goes down a notch or two, but it's still enjoyable.

The third movie is pretty terrible, like some cheap sci-fi channel movie that is weak in all departments. It's not terrible though.

I'll try to watch the fourth movie, seeing you say it's entertaining. I just saw really bad reviews that put me off.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-09-2020, 07:04.

Comment

I saw Hummingbird for the first time. Statham was pretty good, definitely a different movie for him, reminded me he can actually act when he tries to. It was a bit random here and there and there was loads of room to explore his downfall and family more but in the end they were mere asides to the main story arc which was a pity. It was shot well, London at night looked lush.

Comment

Sounds good, never heard of it. Love movies with nice British cinematography. Some movies can remind us how nice the British Isles can actually look.

Comment

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - Pure wide-eyed enjoyment from start to finish. It has the sheen of a 90s blockbuster along with all the old school production techniques you love. The model work is outstanding ... the level of detail in the buildings and streets is just wonderful to behold. And it's great to see it getting destroyed by a super mean baddie (Gyaos). It's got a load of heart too. Gamera's connection with da kids and their understanding of him works so well. Absolutely loved this one. The Arrow disc is packed with extras too. Hours and hours. Amazing work. Can't wait to watch more of these.
          Last edited by Atticus; 23-09-2020, 08:21.

Comment

Sorry to bother you is on sky movies at the monent

An absolute amazing bit of black comedy and super weird in places, The story of a Cassius Green (Lakeith Lee Stanfield) struggling to keep his head above water living in his uncles garage (Terry Crews) who ends up working his way up through the ranks of a call center when hes taught how to use his "White voice" by an old timer at his call center. "Donald Glover"

His success comes at a price though as he ends up promoted upstairs to become a super elite power caller setting himself up for life but putting him against his former friend's and coworkers who are trying to form a union and get a fair wage.

It's a really interesting take on capitalism, white privilege and modern slavery, from the call center workers working for commission only, to the Worry free corporation that their selling for that promises to take care of all your bills, living accommodation, food ect for a lifetime of servitude in a sort of ultra FoxCon type scenario.

It goes super weird towards the end

it introduced the human horse hybrids (equi-sapions) that Worry free have genetically engineered to be stronger and more obedient workers, Cassius try's to expose worry free but rather than taking worry free down it causes their stock to skyrocket.

really inventive use of cinematography, making something as boring as a call center call interesting to watch,

(Cassius desk literately drops into the peoples homes he's on call with) making for some super funny invasive scenes where his customers lives are laid out in front of him.

Last edited by Lebowski; 23-09-2020, 10:43.

Comment

Watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets all the way through for the first time yesterday.

Despite the stunning visuals it still bored me in places but there are many things to like about it. The comic book comic tone and whacky characters are very similar to The Fifth Element. Like that it makes a pleasant change from the sci-fi films that take themselves too seriously sometimes but it still manages to tell a decent enough, if not that original, story.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 23-09-2020, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                Watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets all the way through for the first time yesterday.

Despite the stunning visuals it still bored me in places but there are many things to like about it. The comic book comic tone and whacky characters are very similar to The Fifth Element. Like that it makes a pleasant change from the sci-fi films that take themselves too seriously sometimes but it still manages to tell a decent enough, if not that original, story.
                The casting is what ruins this film the, Two leads are devoid of any personality and really seem at odds with the characters their trying to play, The male lead trying to be a take on Han Solo as this misogynist space ace is not believable in the slightest.

Comment

Started watching an absolute pile of crap called SHED OF THE DEAD. A Brit 'zomcom' in the vein of....go on, have a guess. Some 'zany' guy with big hair n' glasses is the main dude and the fat guy from the UK version of The Office plays the Nick Frost role (I didn't laugh once).

Possibly the most tedious, unfunny, incoherent pile of shide I've ever started to watch. I'm guessing this sack o' cack began life at some horror convention as Emily Booth, Michael Berryman, Bill Moseley and Kane Hodder all appear...and seemingly randomly, just cos they were around at the time.

Yeah. Like they were all at a horror convention one day and some stoned film student with big hair 'n glasses offered 'em all two grand each to star in a ****ty SHAUN OF THE DEAD ripoff. And, sadly, they did.

Had to switch it off with 47mins remaining to watch. I don't know how this even got funded, nobody needs this typa crap about, stinking up the place like a pile of puke.

Bouff looks a tad rough as arseholes, too. She's trying to look like her younger self and she looks a tad gaunt n' trying. Embrace your middle-age, Bouff, put some pounds on love.
                  Last edited by JazzFunk; 23-09-2020, 15:58.

Comment

I've been meaning to watch Valerian for ages.
                    Might see if I can find the 3D BR cheap.

Wanted something light to not get engrossed in, so put on The Truman Show (via Prime) for the first time in years.
                    Mistake - it totally enthralled me and spoke to me more than ever.
                    There's an amazing soundtrack (mainly by Philip Glass) that is really clever because you don't realise it's affecting your emotions until it cuts to the Director who's giving musical cues.
                    I'm pretty emotional these days, but the ending totally got me.

Some losers have dismissed this as a The Mask 2 Carrey gurnathon, but I think he's amazing in this.
                    Yes, he's chippy, but I love that no matter what they throw at him, he strives to remain true to himself and they can't control his spirit.

Comment

I just don't his face. His stupid expressions offend me. And even when he's not doing them, I can see them. In my mind. Stupid Mask film.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                        The casting is what ruins this film the, Two leads are devoid of any personality and really seem at odds with the characters their trying to play, The male lead trying to be a take on Han Solo as this misogynist space ace is not believable in the slightest.
                        Long time Besson fan here and I think Valerian is pretty good but I feel it would have been better if it was in French with a French cast. That would suit the dialogue between the leads better. I always feel like some things just don’t work the same in English. La Femme Nikita and Taxi as examples.

Comment

I agree about the leads - the guy (Dane DeHaan) is particularly lightweight and indeed almost completely unbelievable as a roguish, ladies man. That makes Laureline's (Cara Delevingne) barely repressed attraction to him equally unbelievable. A Lebowski intimated it was an obvious attempt at an Hans Solo/Princess Leia type relationship which fell flat because of the casting and the fact it is a tired old film romance cliche long past its use by date.

Comment

Gamera, the Giant Monster - This was the first one from 1965. Not as assured an arrival as the first Godzilla film but not too shabby either. I've gone back to the beginning on purpose so I don't burn through the highly rated Heisei/90s trilogy too soon (the first one was outstanding). So Gamara was obviously more established as an on/off good guy by the time Guardian of the Universe came out, but in Giant Monster he's new to the world and feared and only a kid knows that he's good inside and we shouldn't be attacking him. It was good fun and charming and the effects were actually pretty good given the tiny budget.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I've been meaning to watch Valerian for ages.
                              Might see if I can find the 3D BR cheap.

Wanted something light to not get engrossed in, so put on The Truman Show (via Prime) for the first time in years.
                              Mistake - it totally enthralled me and spoke to me more than ever.
                              There's an amazing soundtrack (mainly by Philip Glass) that is really clever because you don't realise it's affecting your emotions until it cuts to the Director who's giving musical cues.
                              I'm pretty emotional these days, but the ending totally got me.

Some losers have dismissed this as a The Mask 2 Carrey gurnathon, but I think he's amazing in this.
                              Yes, he's chippy, but I love that no matter what they throw at him, he strives to remain true to himself and they can't control his spirit.
                              I love The Truman Show. I had only seen it once many years ago when I rewatched it recently, but I actually remembered almost every scene pretty well. It had really stuck with me and still does now. I like the fact that it's such an original concept, and Truman's emotional journey really resonates with me, too.

Hey, I bet you've gone on the Backstage Tour ride at Universal Studios Hollywood haven't you, QC? You see the wall and the big tank of water where they shot the final scene - did you see it?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                Long time Besson fan here
                                Another fan here. He's been involved with some absolute classics, and directed some too.
                                The thing is, I'm a little wary of him these day. Mainly because of his actions off-screen where he illegally fired his assistant and had to pay damages and multiple accusations of rape.
                                Before all that, though, I saw Lucy and thought it was incredibly poor, so didn't bother with Valerian or Anna either.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Gamera, the Giant Monster
                                Jealous of people with the Godzilla and Gamera packs!
                                I want some model-Tokyo smashing action!

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                I love The Truman Show. I had only seen it once many years ago when I rewatched it recently, but I actually remembered almost every scene pretty well. It had really stuck with me and still does now. I like the fact that it's such an original concept, and Truman's emotional journey really resonates with me, too.

Hey, I bet you've gone on the Backstage Tour ride at Universal Studios Hollywood haven't you, QC? You see the wall and the big tank of water where they shot the final scene - did you see it?
                                Glad there's another fan. It's such an amazing film. Nice podcast about it here. Dennis Hopper was supposed to play Christof!

I've not been to Universal Studios Hollywood, actually. I've been to LA, but decided that it was too similar to Florida, so instead focussed on other parks like Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain and Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

So, I didn't know that, thanks! I must say it's such a clever shot at the end where the music stops and his doubts are confirmed. I'm being vague because I'm hoping a certain someone finally sees this!

EDIT: Those stolen moments with "Lauren" are so great because in a world of artificiality and manufactured emotions, they seem so real.
                                Last edited by QualityChimp; 24-09-2020, 09:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X